follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Drives: 2013 FRS, 88 EF Civic, 05 Matrix
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 SVC+ 2 DVC WIRING DIAGRAM

I bought 2 DVC 4 ohm subs and I want to wire it with my current subs which are 2 svc 4 ohm subs. My amp is capable of 1ohm stable and with the way everything added up I ended up with 2.66667ohm which should be alright. Can someone double check my wiring diagram I drew up on paint and tell me if it makes sense to them too or not.
Attached Images

GARRET .60 TRIM-UEL HEADERS-1150cc INJECTORS-DW FUEL PUMP-RACESENG CAM PLATE-PERRIN 3" CATBACK-ULTIMATE RACING 2.75 OP/FP-FBM CATCHCAN-SINGER 275AMP ALTERNATOR-MEGAN TRACK COILS-MEGAN F/R STRUTBARS-AXLE EXCHANGE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT-ACT 6 PUCK-ANARCHY MOTIVE SHIFTKNOB-XXR 535-HANKOOK VENTUS EVO V2-CS LIP KIT
Build Thread - FA20FAIL Archive

Last edited by PineappleFriedRice; 03-02-2014 at 12:23 PM.
PineappleFriedRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
why do you need to use both coils on the dvc subs? i think that makes your wiring diagram overly complicated.. i really think you should just wire the 4 in 2 parallel 8 ohm sets, for a final load of about 4 ohms, depending on actual measured coil resistance(very important-- just because the box says it's a 4 ohm sub, the coil can still read 3.4 ohms).

be aware that with every drop in resistance, the sensitivity of the subs drop as well.. so an 8 ohm setup will have better clarity/sensitivity then a 4 ohm setup, and so on.

it is exactly like the 86's are with horsepower. an 8 ohm setup is like the 86-- where the wattage/horsepower is lower, but the platform is more sensitive to lesser horsepower.

where a 2 ohm setup is like a 400 horsepower mustang--sure on paper it's got more power--which is great for bragging rights and all, but it also weighs a lot more, which makes it not as quick and accurate.

also, you don't list model numbers, but running 2 different types of subs can be detrimental to each other-- the specs will be slightly different(assuming you used all teh same stuff, just the difference in moving mass could affect this), so it's very possible that you'll end up with them canceling each other out at specific frequencies. sure it might be loud at 30hz, but then 32 hz might not be audible at all...
Old 03-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

I didn't want to cut the power handling of my 2 dvc by only running one coil on each.

The 2 svc I have are Boss D10f's and both measure 4ohm even on my multimeter when I first installed them. The 2 DVC's I'm getting are Sundown e8v3's which I'm sure will measure 4ohm per voice coil as they were rated.

The D10f's I have I will be mounting where the 3.5 stock rear speakers are and the e8v3's(bought used $100 for the pair from my co-worker) will be in a box in the trunk. I don't know if this setup will cancel certain frequencies out but I'll find out when I hook it up. I'm just trying to figure out if I did my math right lol...

GARRET .60 TRIM-UEL HEADERS-1150cc INJECTORS-DW FUEL PUMP-RACESENG CAM PLATE-PERRIN 3" CATBACK-ULTIMATE RACING 2.75 OP/FP-FBM CATCHCAN-SINGER 275AMP ALTERNATOR-MEGAN TRACK COILS-MEGAN F/R STRUTBARS-AXLE EXCHANGE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT-ACT 6 PUCK-ANARCHY MOTIVE SHIFTKNOB-XXR 535-HANKOOK VENTUS EVO V2-CS LIP KIT
Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
there isn't any solid evidence that using only one coil would cut the power handling.. the sub should be rated to sustain the same wattage through both voice coils-- nearly all mfg's spec parameters with the vc's in series, not parallel, which means that if a sub is rated for 400w rms, each vc would be capable of 400w rms flowing through it.

the closest i've come to ever finding any evidence of a possible reason to not run a single vc is a rough article posted on an audio forum that speculated that the unpowered vc 'might' offer something like a blanket effect to the powered vc, which 'might' heat it up further then anticipated, but was higly dependent with how the vc's were layered in the motor structure.

but then on the flip side, of that exact same argument, also depending on how everything is layered, the unpowered vc can act as a heatsink to the powered vc, which would raise the power handling capabilities of the powered vc, making it possible to exceed the recommended ratings...

there really isn't any hard evidence regarding powering a single vc that i've been able to find-- much of it is all theory.. there's a lot of people that will scream that ANY DVC SUB NEEDS BOTH COILS TO WORK, but then offer no explanation beyond that, which only exacerbates the problem..

but then many sq guys will come into the same debate and talk about how they run a single vc, and then add a variable resistor to the connection of the second vc-- which provides a method of tuning the subs output by mechanically dampening it.

personally, my last setup blew all of that garbage out of the window--by every aspect, i should have obliterated the sub(and i really wish i had, i wanted to replace it), but the sub still works as great as the day i bought it..

i ran a kicker 10" cvr-300w rms, off a 600w rms amp, used a single coil, in a 1 cu ft box with another 10" cvr used as passive radiator.. though i really did get a kick out of telling car audio "guru's" that i was running a dvc sub using only a single coil, and had a passive radiator-- one of the two of those things always confused the local shops...
Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Yeah there's definitely plenty of discussions out there about using one vc on a dvc and neither side really has any solid evidence. Either way, I still want to use both vc's because if my math is right, I'll be sitting good at 2.66 ohms, 66.66% going to my e8v3's and 33.33% going to my D10f's which is what I would be hoping for(more power to my sundowns).

Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
labskaus

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
it is not a good solution ... concentrate on one type of woofer. even if each of them has it own volume there will be too much difference within the system.

And if you wish to keep your idea ... the DVC is 2x4, right? Why not 1/4 plus 1/4 plus 1/([4/2]+[4/2]) = 1,33Ohm [SVC SVC DVC DVC]

or if 2x2
1/(4/2) plus 1/4 plus 1/4 = 1Ohm? [SVC SVC DVC DVC]

or did I calculate wrong?
labskaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

So run the svc's at 2ohm and the dvc's at 4 ohm for 1.33 ohm total impedance? That just flips my output to 66.66% going to my svc and 33.33% going to my dvc's.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Basic understanding of how impedance is determined will tell you that is has to be less than 2.0.
The easy part to calculate is the pair of parallel 4 ohms, which pretty much anyone who has ever worked with subs could tell you is 2 ohms. From here on, any coils added in parallel have to create a total that is less than that, as each new parallel path lowers the total impedance. 8 ohms in parallel with 2 ohms calculates to 1.6 ohms.
You'll have four times the power going through the parallel pair as you will the series pair. That's each pair, not the individual speakers. By definition the voltage has to be the same, which means because the impedance is 1/4, the current is four times. Current times voltage equals power, so 4 times the total power through the parallel pair.

1/8 = .125
1/4 = .250
1/4 = .250
----------
1/.625 = 1.6

Unless what you are really trying to say is that the parallels are a total of four ohms, not 4 ohms each, in which case you are correct and the total impedance is 2.67 ohms, with twice the power to the parallel set.

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 03-03-2014 at 09:52 AM.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
PineappleFriedRice (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Basic understanding of how impedance is determined will tell you that is has to be less than 2.0.
The easy part to calculate is the pair of parallel 4 ohms, which pretty much anyone who has ever worked with subs could tell you is 2 ohms. From here on, any coils added in parallel have to create a total that is less than that, as each new parallel path lowers the total impedance. 8 ohms in parallel with 2 ohms calculates to 1.6 ohms.
You'll have four times the power going through the parallel pair as you will the series pair. That's each pair, not the individual speakers. By definition the voltage has to be the same, which means because the impedance is 1/4, the current is four times. Current times voltage equals power, so 4 times the total power through the parallel pair.

1/8 = .125
1/4 = .250
1/4 = .250
----------
1/.625 = 1.6

Unless what you are really trying to say is that the parallels are a total of four ohms, not 4 ohms each, in which case you are correct and the total impedance is 2.67 ohms, with twice the power to the parallel set.

Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to have verified. If the the parallel subs @4 ohms parallel with the series subs @8ohms equal 2.666....7 ohms.