follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Lots of people here who apparently don't understand that some of us simply don't like when things aren't working right, and can't just "ignore" them.

I generally don't use the clock on the microwave in our house either, but if it was constantly getting way out of sync with everything else, I'd still probably drop coin on a new microwave. I'm way too OCD to just be okay with something being broken and displaying incorrect information, and way too OCD to solve it by covering it up with tape, or some other half-assed solution.
Good luck with the aging process -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-31-2019), Stang70Fastback (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lots of people here who apparently don't understand that some of us simply don't like when things aren't working right, and can't just "ignore" them.

I generally don't use the clock on the microwave in our house either, but if it was constantly getting way out of sync with everything else, I'd still probably drop coin on a new microwave. I'm way too OCD to just be okay with something being broken and displaying incorrect information, and way too OCD to solve it by covering it up with tape, or some other half-assed solution.
OCPD not OCD.
OCD would be if you kept changing the microwave even if the clock was working fine. OCPD is changing the microwave because the clock doesn't work right and that bothers your sense of order.

My constantly pointing out this difference is an OCPD trait.
Dadhawk (05-31-2019), maslin (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #31
csol

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

It's not even because I'm unhappy about it being 1 -5min delayed its like hours wrong because it progressively gets faster and I use the clock in the car, I don't understand why people think this is some trivial issue or dumb.

I will try to remove the battery terminal and see if it resolves the issue.
csol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to csol For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-31-2019), humfrz (05-31-2019), Stang70Fastback (05-30-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
….I generally don't use the clock on the microwave in our house either, but if it was constantly getting way out of sync with everything else, I'd still probably drop coin on a new microwave..
I don't think it's really OCD, or OCPD, you just like things to work as designed. I'm that way, particularly about clocks which are supposed to show you the current time, not some past time, or some future time, the correct established time right now...

The clock in the 86 is easy enough to set, you just wait until the top of the hour and push the ":00" button. I've noticed mine gets out of synch with my cell phone (my "clock of reference") enough I usually have to update it about 3 times a year. So, by my estimate it drifts about 3 minutes a year.

As far as kitchen clocks, its a ritual in our house if we have a power outage. We have a clock on the microwave, one on the oven. I reset them separately but so that they both change time within a blink of one another. I set one by my phone, waiting for the minute to change to press start. Then repeat on the other, setting it one minute later.

The aggravating thing is that when we rehabbed our kitchen last year, the Samsung range we purchased is an IoT device, but it doesn't reset it's own clock.

MomHawk, on the other hand, is a "set my clock ahead so I'm not late" type person. Her alarm clock is set 30 minutes ahead of real time, her car is about 5 minutes ahead. I gave up that fight along time ago.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:25 PM   #33
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
OCPD not OCD.
OCD would be if you kept changing the microwave even if the clock was working fine. OCPD is changing the microwave because the clock doesn't work right and that bothers your sense of order.

My constantly pointing out this difference is an OCPD trait.
I am a little concerned that you know so much about this.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM   #34
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I am a little concerned that you know so much about this.
My son has OCD. It is controlled by medication now and only mildly interferes with his life these days. Used to be really bad. He would leave the house. Walk a half a block away and then get panicked that he didn’t lock the door and go back and check. Ten or twelve times. He knew it was locked but his OCD made him go back and check anyway. That is just one example of how it would take over and he could have dozens of other triggers in a day. Caring about order and wanting things a certain way is not OCD even though it is one of the most misused terms around.
Capt Spaulding (06-04-2019), Dadhawk (05-31-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #35
csol

Garage
Removing the battery terminal did not seem it fix the problem
Old 06-04-2019, 11:13 PM   #36
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I don't think it's really OCD, or OCPD, you just like things to work as designed. I'm that way, particularly about clocks which are supposed to show you the current time, not some past time, or some future time, the correct established time right now...

The clock in the 86 is easy enough to set, you just wait until the top of the hour and push the ":00" button. I've noticed mine gets out of synch with my cell phone (my "clock of reference") enough I usually have to update it about 3 times a year. So, by my estimate it drifts about 3 minutes a year.

As far as kitchen clocks, its a ritual in our house if we have a power outage. We have a clock on the microwave, one on the oven. I reset them separately but so that they both change time within a blink of one another. I set one by my phone, waiting for the minute to change to press start. Then repeat on the other, setting it one minute later.

The aggravating thing is that when we rehabbed our kitchen last year, the Samsung range we purchased is an IoT device, but it doesn't reset it's own clock.

MomHawk, on the other hand, is a "set my clock ahead so I'm not late" type person. Her alarm clock is set 30 minutes ahead of real time, her car is about 5 minutes ahead. I gave up that fight along time ago.
So, are you telling me that no one in your family is really sure of what time it is? -

Short story. Back a few years ago, I gave my father (in his 90s at the time and couldn't hardly see - except to drive) a "talking" watch. I told him it was an atomic talking watch. To set it, just lay it upside down in window sill a couple times a year.

One day, about a year later, he called and said his watch quit working. I asked him if he had changed the battery. He said "no, you told me it was an atomic watch".

THE END

humfrz
Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by csol View Post
Removing the battery terminal did not seem it fix the problem
I'm thinking you need a new clock, or just cut the wire to that sucker and forget about it -

humfrz
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 AM   #38
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
The clock in my FR-S used to go an hour or two out of sync for an hour or two and then return. It was terribly strange. It would go from 2:59 to 5:00 and then from 5:59 to 4:00 or something like that. But only sometimes. Not every day.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #39
csol

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm thinking you need a new clock, or just cut the wire to that sucker and forget about it -

humfrz
Nevermind, all good now I believe.
Removed battery terminal waited 15-20min this time and then tried turning car on. Fixed timing issue
The Following User Says Thank You to csol For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #40
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
So, are you telling me that no one in your family is really sure of what time it is? -
Does anyone really know what time it is?
Does anyone really care about time?

Quote:
Short story. Back a few years ago, I gave my father (in his 90s at the time and couldn't hardly see - except to drive) a "talking" watch. I told him it was an atomic talking watch. To set it, just lay it upside down in window sill a couple times a year.

One day, about a year later, he called and said his watch quit working. I asked him if he had changed the battery. He said "no, you told me it was an atomic watch". THE END humfrz
You just gave him the wrong watch. I have an atomic clock watch that is also solar powered. Unfortunately it doesn't talk.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #41
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Does anyone really know what time it is?
Does anyone really care about time?

Yes, like once said "the man with ONE watch knows what time it is …" -

Do I care what time it is - not usually - I'm more concerned about what day of the week it is -

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #42
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
The clock in my FR-S used to go an hour or two out of sync for an hour or two and then return. It was terribly strange. It would go from 2:59 to 5:00 and then from 5:59 to 4:00 or something like that. But only sometimes. Not every day.
Let me guess - it changed only after six beers? -

humfrz