follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
brazy

Drives: '14 LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM shocks going out?

Looking for some guidance before I go to the dealership with this issue:

I replaced the stock Primacys with some Bridgestone Potenza 980 A-S (on the stock wheels) at about 40,000mi on the odometer.

I've gotten to almost 50,000mi now and the front tires both have cupping on the inner half of the tread. The passenger side is more noticeable than the driver side, but both have the issue.

I'm wondering if this is an indicator that the OEM shocks are about finished. The ride has gotten slightly more noisy and jarring in the egregious road conditions of Northern Virginia over the past 2-3 months. I had plans to lower the car this summer anyways, so in a way I'm hoping that the factory shocks ARE the problem. Just want to know if anyone has had this experience or has any insight into the problem.

My plan is to, first, have Subaru inspect the suspension components. Then, if they don't find anything I will get an alignment. I have already confirmed that tire pressure is good, and the mounting and balancing was done correctly.

Anything else I should look for, check myself, etc. before this plan of action? Any input is appreciated.
brazy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brazy For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-03-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
2L;DR
Get alignment
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
This should help.

http://http://perfectcircletire.com/images/tirewear.png
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:35 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
You have been awful helpful here lately ........ are you low on used civics ....??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:38 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazy View Post
Looking for some guidance before I go to the dealership with this issue:

I replaced the stock Primacys with some Bridgestone Potenza 980 A-S (on the stock wheels) at about 40,000mi on the odometer.

I've gotten to almost 50,000mi now and the front tires both have cupping on the inner half of the tread. The passenger side is more noticeable than the driver side, but both have the issue.

I'm wondering if this is an indicator that the OEM shocks are about finished. The ride has gotten slightly more noisy and jarring in the egregious road conditions of Northern Virginia over the past 2-3 months. I had plans to lower the car this summer anyways, so in a way I'm hoping that the factory shocks ARE the problem. Just want to know if anyone has had this experience or has any insight into the problem.

My plan is to, first, have Subaru inspect the suspension components. Then, if they don't find anything I will get an alignment. I have already confirmed that tire pressure is good, and the mounting and balancing was done correctly.

Anything else I should look for, check myself, etc. before this plan of action? Any input is appreciated.
Sounds like a good plan......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:02 AM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
You have been awful helpful here lately ........ are you low on used civics ....??

humfrz
Aww you know...I'm just trying to be nice. Cause heaven forbid I tell these kids my honest dislike for tow straps and I cause bloody physical and emotional harm to them because of words they read.

But civic sales are good, had a friend of mine trade in his frs for a new Turbo accord. He lives in up in Seattle so I can't really get to joy ride with him. But he says it's a little beast on the freeway.

And now as to not totally de-rail the thread,

In my experience i seen with center cupping is over inflated tires. For the longest time my moms car would eat tires like crazy. The problem was she bought those cheap stick type tire pressure gauge. The gauge was off by 15psi and her alignment was off. Lol.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
OEM shocks going out?

When you say inner I assume you mean inner edge of the tire. If so, front toe is off. Bad toe can eat a set of tires extremely fast.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
brazy (02-08-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Toe wont cause cupping. That'd be a feathered even wear pattern. It's not camber either because that'd cause even wear on the shoulder of the tire. Cupping is common on trucks, but not cars. It could be several emergency braking lock ups- but that's a stretch too.

There's some damage or it could be simple tire imbalance (but if it was that bad, you'd feel it). It could be a blown damper, but there's other things it could be too. Get it up on a rack and check out the front suspension.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
ermax

I assume he is describing something like this which is definitely toe.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
brazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Sounds like a good plan......

humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post

In my experience i seen with center cupping is over inflated tires. For the longest time my moms car would eat tires like crazy. The problem was she bought those cheap stick type tire pressure gauge. The gauge was off by 15psi and her alignment was off. Lol.

Mine are not center cupping... its happening on the inner half - starting from the inner shoulder and goes about 2 inches towards the center. The Primacys that were replaced had no abnormal wear so my first thought was improper balancing or wrong pressure. But I've double and tripled checked everything with the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Toe wont cause cupping. That'd be a feathered even wear pattern. It's not camber either because that'd cause even wear on the shoulder of the tire. Cupping is common on trucks, but not cars. It could be several emergency braking lock ups- but that's a stretch too.

There's some damage or it could be simple tire imbalance (but if it was that bad, you'd feel it). It could be a blown damper, but there's other things it could be too. Get it up on a rack and check out the front suspension.

Yeah, I have no reason to believe I'm out of alignment. Previous tires wore normally and the car isn't lowered. Not saying it's impossible that I need an alignment, I just think it's more likely that I have an issue with the damper or some other suspension component. Just wasn't really sure exactly what to look for.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazy View Post

Yeah, I have no reason to believe I'm out of alignment. Previous tires wore normally and the car isn't lowered. Not saying it's impossible that I need an alignment, I just think it's more likely that I have an issue with the damper or some other suspension component. Just wasn't really sure exactly what to look for.
Still need to rule out alignment since it is the number one issue that can destroy tires. Just because the last tires wore fine does not mean the alignment has changed. I would at least have it checked before trying to chase down suspension issues that may not exist.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A good alignment check will inspect all the joints in the suspension for wear or damage (bushings, ball joints, arms/links for straightness, subframe, all the important nuts and bolts etc.) which would be the quickest way to narrow in on a problem. If a full suspension inspection returns nothing and the tires aren't out of round or unbalanced then I'd be thinking dampers, but usually you'll feel dampers go to shit before you see it on the tire wear, dampers can be spectacularly bad before impacting tire wear.

Had a buddy with some weird ride characteristics he was fully blaming on the transmission, turns out the rear subframe bushings were prematurely worn and that was found on the alignment rack. It didn't solve the issue but it certainly helped.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
brazy (02-07-2018), Tcoat (02-05-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
brazy

front right camber was out of factory spec. Don't have an exact figure yet as I'm still at work, but service advisor said it was just barely too negative. Will order camber bolts for front.. Hopefully that corrects the issue. I'll provide an update if it doesn't lol

Thanks to all for helpful input

EDIT: Correction now that I have the alignment figures from Subaru - Front Right toe was out of spec. Started 0.22 toe in, corrected to 0.04 but apparently that ever-so-slightly moved the camber out of spec. But assuming that alignment was the issue, toe-in was the cause. Cheers @ermax

Last edited by brazy; 02-08-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: corrective
The Following User Says Thank You to brazy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-07-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
ermax

As guybo pointed out, camber actually doesn't impact wear that much. Toe will though and .22 is a fair bit off.

TBH, when you said cupping I thought you meant concave on the inner edge which screams toe. But after reading guybo's post about balance I googled the term "cupping" and realized it was a term used for flat spots. That's when I posted that picture to show what my original interpretation of your report was. But you never confirmed if your tires looked like that. Anyways, glad you got it sorted.