follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #29
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd have nothing wrong with brake squeel on track. Funnily that's the place one can bed in even most track-ish pads .
But i wouldn't want squeel on daily driving. Maybe other drivers on the road don't mind as much as i think they do, but at least i feel like idiot stopping with loud squeel near them at stoplights or squeeling madly on every small stop when moving in traffic jams. And daily driving is what 99% of my milleage is made of. So certainly i mind squeeling in general, ease of bedding pads when daily driving, and as due being too lazy and using same pads on both DD & track, am willing to give up some of 1% track-only performance to keep ability to DD bed. For me track days are more for fun, not competition anyway. If i'll ever follow further down rabbithole and will become more of a track junkie, most probably will need to go pad-swap route, to get both performance & reasonable daily driving properties. As it seems, there are no ideal pads that will fit best for all usage cases, every is compromise of sorts and one just have to choose his own poison depending on priorities .. or swap between sets.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #30
ajh88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Haha TBH I'm with you guys, I don't care that much about the squealing and chirping but was worried it it might have been a larger problem with the pads. Once I put on the GS1 I didn't need to go back to the R12/10.0 Also wanted to keep the R12/10 'track only' to keep better tabs on their wear.

Squealing is cosmetic. I dont think the rotational chirping was good for the brake system though.
ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #31
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I get chirping after my pads warm up when driving (while not on the brakes), especially when it's bumpy. I already lubed the slider pins with 3M silicone lube and used a wire brush to clean off the brackets that the pads slide in to. the chirping is still there though... gonna take another look at it soon and see what else I can do. I'm thinking it has to be that bracket since the caliper slides easily and freely.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #32
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
All the people here complaining about squeals. Is there anything wrong with letting them squeal? You go thru the trouble of bedding them (using up more pad material and heating up the rotors) just to have them go back to squealing a few days later? I stopped bedding in my pads, I havent had problems since, other than they are obnoxiously loud, except after a track day, where they are quiet for a good 2-3 days.
Yep. Same here, just let them be. I did start to brake hard at stops and it helps. At least when the other half isnt in the car. She doesnt appreciate the slight abruptness lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #33
KL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@drewbot any update on your rotational noise?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a similar squeal on my HC+800s; rotational squeal at low speeds when coasting/light throttle. Already had pads cleaned and caliper wire brushed and re-lubed (even sanded the lip off my rotor edges) by a dealership tech and that only solved the noise for a week or two. I dgaf about squeal but I'm worried about dragging the rears like CSG Mike suggested (fronts are and always have been dead quiet). Slide pins are the next thing on my list to check. Maybe check/clean pistons and boots too? *shrug*

Just wondering if you had any more info towards a resolution instead of making another goddamn "my brakes are squealing" thread.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by KL; 07-23-2017 at 10:30 AM.
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #34
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL View Post
@drewbot any update on your rotational noise?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a similar squeal on my HC+800s; rotational squeal at low speeds when coasting/light throttle. Already had pads cleaned and caliper wire brushed and re-lubed (even sanded the lip off my rotor edges) by a dealership tech and that only solved the noise for a week or two. I dgaf about squeal but I'm worried about dragging the rears like CSG Mike suggested (fronts are and always have been dead quiet). Slide pins are the next thing on my list to check. Maybe check/clean pistons and boots too? *shrug*

Just wondering if you had any more info towards a resolution instead of making another goddamn "my brakes are squealing" thread.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
LOL necro post sorry bro. Thing still squeals like before but because the pad thickness is getting less with more track days, the rotational chirping/chatter is reduced. I think the pad I got just fit tight and with heat everything expands/contracts at different rates.
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote