follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #421
Mo707

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacon1052 View Post
Whattttt? I just got my passenger TL fixed on Friday... ordered Monday last week.

And they won't do a recall because not all TL's are affected. And just because they order you a new one doesn't mean that new one won't also fog up with condensation. I had my driver's side TL replaced 2 times because the replacement also was defective.
On the paper they gave me it said this was caused by how much they torqued them from the factory.
Mo707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #422
phillies5582

Drives: WRB MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ, VIN: 6045XX
Picked up from dealer 12/3. Noticed condensation in the drivers side TL on 12/4, emailed dealer with picture on 12/5, they said they had one in stock and they are setting it aside for me. Going tomorrow to have it swapped out.

The dealer was pretty easy with this, I simply sent them a pic in the initial email and I guess that's all they needed. No questions asked.
phillies5582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #423
jupillam

Drives: White out Scion Frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I thought i am always the luckiest guy but seeing condensation this morning, i literally could not stand on my feet.

jupillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #424
jupillam

Drives: White out Scion Frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I found the solution lolol
This
fill the pool become this

QUALA
jupillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #425
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies5582 View Post
BRZ, VIN: 6045XX
Picked up from dealer 12/3. Noticed condensation in the drivers side TL on 12/4, emailed dealer with picture on 12/5, they said they had one in stock and they are setting it aside for me. Going tomorrow to have it swapped out.

The dealer was pretty easy with this, I simply sent them a pic in the initial email and I guess that's all they needed. No questions asked.

you're lucky that they had a TL in stock. ordered mine from toyota service 2 weeks ago, nothing yet (ive called and emailed them a few times)

what i would love to do is go back to my dealer with my gf and have her test drive a fr-s that is on the lot (they have 4) drive it back to my apartment and do a quick swap LOL

All their in stock fr-s' been there the last 2 weeks and last time i checked yesterday afternoon all the sets of lights have no condensation through the last couple of rainy days unlike mine. but i dont wanna get in trouble lol
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #426
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Had drivers and passengers replaced about 3 months ago. Just saw this yesterday after a car wash.

/sigh
Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #427
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So good news (or maybe should i not get too excited yet)

I have not heard back from My service advisor since i sent him another email request to follow up on the order of the replacement tail lights. This was last Thursday that he did respond to me with this message:

December 5, 2012
"I DID RECEIVE THE EMAIL AS SOON AS THE PARTS ORDER FOR TODAY IS DELIVERED I WILL CHECK TO SEE IF THE TAIL LIGHTs CAME IN. I WILL CALL YOU TO LET YOU KNOW THE STATUS ON THE LAMP ASSEMBLY LATER ON TODAY

THANK YOU"
M. Khan
Westbury Toyota Service Advisor
-------------------------
So now its December 13, still no call from anyone at the dealership.
So last night I had a pretty bad day at work, lots of stress (more than normal) and funny enough as soon as I left work I got a survey reminder for the last time i was at Toyota (alignment after pro kit springs installed by NLM) I had made the advisor aware a SECOND time (first time was my 1st oil change a month earlier) of the Tail lights condesation/standing water issue... and asked for an update on the order of lights.. he was like oh i didnt order lights for u i just thought you were asking about the issue. i said no, look at my tails.. water is swishing around.. LOOK! lol then he said he ordered them right after they completed my alignment. So since i had a bad day i decided to let my frustrations out on the survey and explained my scenario. Then due to the fact that in one of the comment boxes my text was over 400 characters it advsd me to call 866-707-2466 the scion customer experience line. I called at 8pm not expecting a live body to pick up, but Greg did! He was super nice and did inform me that he is the NY state case manager for scion issues/complaints. HE INFORMED ME THAT THERE SHOULD NOT BE A DELAY OF 3-4 WEEKS ON TAIL LIGHTS due to the condensation issue. he said that maybe that was the case back in may, june or even july.. but not now.. and the parts supply warehouses should have them in stock to ship to dealers service depts. he said the issue might be the dealership failed to order them as promised. he promised to research check the system (as my cell phone number was associated with my scion fr-s since purchase) he had all my info. he said he will call me back on friday to advise. i told him that i was not complaining about the advisor but the fact that this is a 2013 car.. and ive waited 2 months now for a warranty repair.. and that its pretty embarassing to have people ask me if i bought cheap ebay lights to put on my car...i do know this is a first year production car.. but come on... increase the production of tail lights especially if thousands of fr-s/brz's were made prior to the correction of the issue.

So its good to know that scion customer satisfaction dept has their grip on this. He even confirmed that if the dealer turns you away regarding any TSB and you are actually experiencing the problem in the TSB, cricket sound, tail light issue.. etc that they have to fix it. However if u dont have that TSB issue dont expect to go to the dealer and get brand new tail lights or have cricket sound issue fixed if u dont even have the sound to begin with.

i cant wait till saturday to give an update on what greg says tomorrow.
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #428
fenixv8

Drives: 1991 Acura NSX, 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So picking up car tonight should I just remove the headlights when I get home and add more sealant?
fenixv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #429
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
We've had frost's the last couple mornings and my passenger side one now has some condensation, it's not bad but i will still get one ordered.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #430
JonnyRocket
"New hotness"

Drives: WRB Limited MT BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
AARRRGGHHHH!

Came out after lunch today to find this
Name:  taillightcondensation.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  534.1 KB

Both lights have it.

Replaced with a 2013 Mazdaspeed3!
JonnyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #431
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Sigh, i don't know what to do.

I've changed my driver side Tail light two times and it still has condensation. Its not heavy but its still noticeable.

I think its the person installing it, isn't the reason why this happens is that the bolts are torqued to hard and the seals crack?

I wanna see if they will let me take one home and install it.

I'm not going to let this go, because now i am seriously getting mad at this.

I'll keep you guys updated.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #432
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Sigh, i don't know what to do.

I've changed my driver side Tail light two times and it still has condensation. Its not heavy but its still noticeable.

I think its the person installing it, isn't the reason why this happens is that the bolts are torqued to hard and the seals crack?

I wanna see if they will let me take one home and install it.

I'm not going to let this go, because now i am seriously getting mad at this.

I'll keep you guys updated.
I don't think they will let you do it because it is "warranty" thing...
If they mess up they will honour it, but if you messed up you're on your own.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #433
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I mentioned this before, but when I brought mine in I gave them a printout of the instructions from the TSB, open to the page that says "Failure to follow the tightening sequence will result in damage..." or whatever. Had one replaced and no issues so far.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #434
alrashwa

Drives: '12 370Z Monterey Blue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Took mine in today, they stopped short of installing the new lights because it appears that during the manufacture of my car, the machine that perforates the holes into which the taillights are being mounted has created uneven dimples near the holes causing the mounting surface to become uneven. I wish I had the photos he showed me, it's a little hard to explain. Here is a mockup of what it looked like, with the orange being the body color on my car.

They are sending my car to an external body shop to flatten out these mounting areas before installing the new tail lights. I think this bent perforation in near the mounting holes/surfaces is either causing increased pressure on the taillight assembly and cracking it, or the bend in the metal itself not allowing proper sealing around the mounting screws.

I've been told that the auto body guy who'll be fixing mine learned by working at a Ferrari/Maserati dealership, so I'm not worried. I'd be willing to bet that these dimples in the sheet metal are causing the repeat repairs in this thread.
alrashwa is offline   Reply With Quote