follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
quik1987

Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
mind as well be carbon fiber
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Do luck makes them for the evo, i wonder if they will start making it for the toyobarus!!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #17
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
I contacted Seibon about three weeks ago to suggest this as a future product. This is what I got back.

"Thank you for writing us. A trunk with a spoiler built in is already in the works J we should have that done in a few more weeks. we will update you once we have that ready to go."

Thank you,
Seibon Carbon
Web: www.seiboncarbon.com
Email: info@seiboncarbon.com

Tel: 626-968-2010
Fax: 626-968-7515

That was August 2nd. I have no problem waiting for a good product. Really want to see what they're up to though. I botched the install of my 5-Axis spoiler. I'm out by just a few millimters, but that has caused the ends to lift. Sure I can fix it, but having a seamless ducktail is REALLY what I wanted in the first place.
LOL that you say Seibon and quality in the same post.

To reply to the other post.. NEGATIVE on Ab-Flug, I asked.

And YES, this is being worked on to the OP. I'll can guarantee this will be worth the wait, but I can't say more than that.

Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla35 For This Useful Post:
raz0rbladez909 (08-27-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
LOL that you say Seibon and quality in the same post.

To reply to the other post.. NEGATIVE on Ab-Flug, I asked.

And YES, this is being worked on to the OP. I'll can guarantee this will be worth the wait, but I can't say more than that.

We have had a few vehicles at the dealership with Seibon hoods. They have been very nice, light, and seemingly high quality.

I haven't owned anything from them myself. Have you had a bad experience? What brand(s) would you deem better in your opinion, and why?

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #19
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
We have had a few vehicles at the dealership with Seibon hoods. They have been very nice, light, and seemingly high quality.

I haven't owned anything from them myself. Have you had a bad experience? What brand(s) would you deem better in your opinion, and why?
I bought a Seibon hood back in around 05-06 for my G35 coupe. I specifically bought it because the vendor told me I didn't have to run hood pins (the fitment was that great.... yeah right). He said the FormulaD Falken G35 driven by Calvin Wan at the time, didn't even run hood pins most of the time. Just direct bolt on to factory catch point.

Well, install went well and it was golden for about two weeks. I was about to pay for my Volks and get ready to go to Nisei week car show (which I STILL haven't been to)... but on that day, about a week before Nisei week car show, all of a sudden, the hood wouldn't latch! It was almost like the latch was defective, only latching when it wanted to. I called the retailer and they told me to contact Seibon which had a warehouse in LA.

They said to bring the hood down and they would replace it or refund me if they didn't have it in stock. (The retailer told me this was the last one and that the hoods came from Japan... which was bullshit). So I FINALLY get the hood latched about 5 hours later. On my way to driving down to Seibon, the latch slips off of the catch (which I don't even get how it's possible), catches the wind and proceeds to cause $7K+ worth of damage on my almost brand new G35.

Fenders peeled back, destroyed hood, dented roof, smashed windshield, etc. Never got to buy my Volks because I had a $2K premium at the time which I had to pay out of pocket. Neither the retailer or Seibon would pay for ANYTHING, not even giving me a free hood... worst customer service ever, worst quality ever.

Their hoods are crap honestly. Can't hold a candle to any reputable Japanese company like Varis, Zele, Amuse, etc. I know it's expensive, but I won't put any cf on my car unless it's OEM quality and truly lighter. Even the OP posted a great company called RevoZport which is coming out with a lot of awesome parts for GT-Rs at a fair price point for pretty damn good CF work.

CF work in the U.S., is for the most part, is marketed to / for ricers. Any decent company in the US / California is usually busy with custom orders or government contracts. I recently started dealing with cf manufacturers all the time so I've seen the quality difference first hand.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla35 For This Useful Post:
raz0rbladez909 (08-27-2012), Slartibartfast (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
I bought a Seibon hood back in around 05-06 for my G35 coupe. I specifically bought it because the vendor told me I didn't have to run hood pins (the fitment was that great.... yeah right). He said the FormulaD Falken G35 driven by Calvin Wan at the time, didn't even run hood pins most of the time. Just direct bolt on to factory catch point.

Well, install went well and it was golden for about two weeks. I was about to pay for my Volks and get ready to go to Nisei week car show (which I STILL haven't been to)... but on that day, about a week before Nisei week car show, all of a sudden, the hood wouldn't latch! It was almost like the latch was defective, only latching when it wanted to. I called the retailer and they told me to contact Seibon which had a warehouse in LA.

They said to bring the hood down and they would replace it or refund me if they didn't have it in stock. (The retailer told me this was the last one and that the hoods came from Japan... which was bullshit). So I FINALLY get the hood latched about 5 hours later. On my way to driving down to Seibon, the latch slips off of the catch (which I don't even get how it's possible), catches the wind and proceeds to cause $7K+ worth of damage on my almost brand new G35.

Fenders peeled back, destroyed hood, dented roof, smashed windshield, etc. Never got to buy my Volks because I had a $2K premium at the time which I had to pay out of pocket. Neither the retailer or Seibon would pay for ANYTHING, not even giving me a free hood... worst customer service ever, worst quality ever.

Their hoods are crap honestly. Can't hold a candle to any reputable Japanese company like Varis, Zele, Amuse, etc. I know it's expensive, but I won't put any cf on my car unless it's OEM quality and truly lighter. Even the OP posted a great company called RevoZport which is coming out with a lot of awesome parts for GT-Rs at a fair price point for pretty damn good CF work.

CF work in the U.S., is for the most part, is marketed to / for ricers. Any decent company in the US / California is usually busy with custom orders or government contracts. I recently started dealing with cf manufacturers all the time so I've seen the quality difference first hand.
Sorry, to here about the G35. I can understand why that would make you not want to deal with them again.
We have a 2011 TC on the lot right now with a Seibon hood, it feels like it's made out of helium. It fits perfectly, it's like it was stock. So I don't have any reservations about getting one myself. But before I do, I would do some research on those other brands you mention.
I wouldn't be getting a hood, it would be the trunk with the ducktail, and I'd have it painted. I'm not one of those "check out my CF trunk" kind of guys.

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
lol at thinking Seibon is high quality.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
raz0rbladez909 (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Jamifra

Drives: 2013 Civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do luck
Slartibartfast (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #23
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
I would love a quality duck tail trunk.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #24
'Q

Drives: GT-R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi23 View Post
Ive seen some car mods where they have the duck tail trunk on the car. It wasnt a spoiler.. but actually the trunk. Anybody know what im talking about and if the frs would get it?

Something like this..but nicer looking.
I was involved in bringing this GTR trunk to the market. It weighs 3kg's with the crash stopper and we made 2 versions, one with a 3rd brake light and the other deleted. 2x2 and 4x4 weave, matte and wet.

I can work something out for us if there is demand.
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....bill-cf-trunk/
'Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 'Q For This Useful Post:
BPAuto (09-06-2012), enjoi23 (09-06-2012), Godzilla35 (09-15-2012), serial gixxer (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #25
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi23 View Post
Ive seen some car mods where they have the duck tail trunk on the car. It wasnt a spoiler.. but actually the trunk. Anybody know what im talking about and if the frs would get it?

Something like this..but nicer looking.
PERRRRRRRRRRRFECT! How much for mine?
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #26
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Q View Post
I was involved in bringing this GTR trunk to the market. It weighs 3kg's with the crash stopper and we made 2 versions, one with a 3rd brake light and the other deleted. 2x2 and 4x4 weave, matte and wet.

I am pretty sure the demand would be high if you ask around. Not much people have seen this thread, but if a vendor picked this idea up, it would catch like wildfire. I would be interested! Maybe not in a carbon fiber but a whiteout one.
enjoi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
cto424

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Q View Post

Definitely interested.
cto424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Interested.