follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
Geese1

Drives: 2018 BRZ w/ PP - WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Questions on factory ordering a car

So I've got an appointment to go in to my local dealership on Saturday to see if we can put together a deal to factory order a new 2018 BRZ. Assuming we can reach a number on the car, what then? I've never done a factory order before, but this time I want to make sure I get exactly what I want (and I don't want the car until Spring anyway).

Is there some sort of paperwork or number you should get from the dealer at that time? I already spoke to both my salesman and the manager who we'll be working with, and he said he can order the car while I'm there, so should I get something to show that the car is actually in the system?

Also, what about trade-ins? I'll be trading in my current vehicle, and I thought I could just figure out the approximate mileage for when the car comes in (around 10 - 12 weeks if shipping from Japan, correct?), and then get a figure based on that. But is that the correct way to do it?

And rebates. There's nothing on these cars now, but do you just figure that you'll get any available rebates at the time of delivery?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
There's this sheet they fill out with the options you want, and possibly a price agreement (mine had me sign this agreement with the exact price we'd agreed upon but I don't know how legit it is across dealers).

Then you sign it. Then they re-type it all out onto their order system, and then you get a VON (Vehicle Order Number).

And then you wait.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Geese1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
There's this sheet they fill out with the options you want, and possibly a price agreement (mine had me sign this agreement with the exact price we'd agreed upon but I don't know how legit it is across dealers).

Then you sign it. Then they re-type it all out onto their order system, and then you get a VON (Vehicle Order Number).

And then you wait.
I'm planning on typing up some sort of agreement myself before I go in there so that we can both sign it, as I don't believe they have one of their own, unless it's changed since I worked there (was there from 2004 - 2015).

The VON is key though, as now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about getting one of those on another forum when I was thinking about getting an STI.

Definitely want to make sure I get something to show it's in Subaru's system though, as I remember this one incident where the new car manager forgot to put in a customer's order, and then they called up weeks later inquiring about the status only to find out it was never entered in the first place!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
@trippinbillies40 @Veloist
Veloist (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Every dealership is different but generally after you come to agreement on price they should put the order in with you on sight. If they say something like “ok great we’ll put the order in later today” then that’s kinda strange.

Most salespeople are set up to place the order but some places the manager might be the only one who can put it in. If the salesperson can do it, they will usually show you the ordering screen and you can select which color, trim level, and port installed accessories you want. They will then confirm your name, address, and contact information.

Generally a dealership will ask for some kind of deposit, this is normal as long as it’s refundable and goes toward the price of the car. You should then get receipt for your deposit, followed by a sheet with the Pipeline Status of the car.

There you will see your Vehicle Order Number and also the equipment that you chose as well as the color and trim level.

And now besides the receipt you should get a printout of what you see below:

If you get this then that’s how you know the order is legit. You will have an ETA that will show you what month (but not day) that the car will arrive and 9.8/10 times the car does arrive in that month. You can call your dealership or Subaru of America to ask for updates.

The “Status” will change and will show how closer the car is.

“Ordered” means the car has been ordered.
“Scheduled” will include a date and show what day the car is scheduled to get processed and have the port installed accessories installed.
“Released” means the car has been released from the Port to the freighter and ready to be shipped to the dealership.
“Shipped Rail” means the car is on a train to the final railhead.
“Shipped Truck” means the car is on a truck to the dealership.

The ETA usually changes when the status changes. When the car status changes to “Scheduled” that’s when you get your VIN. You will get an email (if you haven’t blocked SOA’s emails) with the VIN and the new status and you will get emails when those status changes.

The ETA has a cushion of about 10 days so don’t be surprised if the dealership calls you and the car arrives way earlier then expected.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Going in there with your own sheet typed up is not the solution. Look above, that's a proper sales procedure.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What about your trade in? Many things can change in two to three months - the value cannot be guaranteed. Watch out for that!
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
You also get a Sold Order email from Subaru which also confirms the order. Example below:

Old 02-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
What about your trade in? Many things can change in two to three months - the value cannot be guaranteed. Watch out for that!
Trade in valuation wouldn't be done until final purchase paperwork, which wont be done until the vehicle is at the dealer.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #10
Geese1

Thanks for all the useful information, guys! Would love to add "thanks" to the individual posts, but I don't seem to have that functionality yet!

To answer a few questions, thanks to Veloist I now have a great idea on what to expect and how to proceed. I'm assuming I'm still going to have to get something in writing though with the agreed upon price of the vehicle though, as I don't see anything on that sheet that has that info, just the MSRP.

As far as my trade-in, I realize I can't get a set in stone figure since, as was said, a lot can happen in the time it takes the car to get here. But I also don't want to have them suddenly lowball me with a number once I go in to do the final paperwork. If we can agree to a baseline, then I'm okay with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geese1 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-20-2018), winstonscifi (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #11
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
Thanks for all the useful information, guys! Would love to add "thanks" to the individual posts, but I don't seem to have that functionality yet!

To answer a few questions, thanks to Veloist I now have a great idea on what to expect and how to proceed. I'm assuming I'm still going to have to get something in writing though with the agreed upon price of the vehicle though, as I don't see anything on that sheet that has that info, just the MSRP.

As far as my trade-in, I realize I can't get a set in stone figure since, as was said, a lot can happen in the time it takes the car to get here. But I also don't want to have them suddenly lowball me with a number once I go in to do the final paperwork. If we can agree to a baseline, then I'm okay with that.
Is your current car paid off? If it is they don't quite have you over the barrel as much as they would if they know you don't want to or can't carry two notes.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
Geese1

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30kawi View Post
Is your current car paid off? If it is they don't quite have you over the barrel as much as they would if they know you don't want to or can't carry two notes.
Unfortunately no, not paid off. But at least I'm not upside down on it, and I do have some positive equity in the vehicle. Not a lot, but some.

The nice thing is, even though I really want the car, since it's not at the dealership right now I don't have an emotional attachment to it. That's why I want to get some sort of baseline I can use. Will be a lot harder if I order the car, and then have to negotiate all over again on trade-in value once it arrives.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #13
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Sorry, didn't get a notification about getting tagged in this. Veloist to the rescue!

Lead times on '18s in NW PA right now will probably be 6-8 weeks if you get the order in before the end of the month.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just to show you might see some differences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
You also get a Sold Order email from Subaru which also confirms the order. Example below:
I never got that email. I just got the order sheet with the VON on it from the dealer.

Quote:
Most salespeople are set up to place the order but some places the manager might be the only one who can put it in.
When I bought mine, it caught the salesman completely off balance when I told him I was interested in placing an order, and he wasn't sure what to do. He was apparently new, but he asked another salesman who said that he couldn't do it either. There were two guys in the place who had actual offices, the sales manager and some kind of chief salesman or assistant manager, and I got passed off to that assistant to actually negotiate the price and place the order.

Quote:
Generally a dealership will ask for some kind of deposit, this is normal as long as it’s refundable and goes toward the price of the car.
For whatever reason, my dealership didn't require a deposit. I was expecting to have to pay one and had my checkbook ready, but they told me they didn't need it. The guy said, "We just have a handshake deal." I was a little nervous about that, but I watched him enter the order and print the order sheet, so at least I knew it was in the pipeline.

Based on all the other posts about putting down deposits, I guess that's pretty unusual.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote