follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #183
Corsus

Drives: Halo 2016 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was so close to pulling the trigger... But I'm worried that this will be an issue... Could a vendor chime in on this?
Corsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #184
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For the owners with red TOMS who have condensation issues:

Does it seem like this problem is related to melting plastic or cheap gaskets?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #185
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Hopefully we'll get some results soon from someone who has used vinyl to block it off...

I'm really tempted to get the clears regardless. I like how they look + my car is garaged + I've only driven it 5k miles since I bought it January 2015... So I might be fine? :|
Have had my clear TOMS' for 10,000km, garaged at work and home. No problems yet. Similar ownership scenario to yours.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #186
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have red Toms, No issue at all with condensation or melting.
100% happy
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:04 AM   #187
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Hopefully we'll get some results soon from someone who has used vinyl to block it off...

I'm really tempted to get the clears regardless. I like how they look + my car is garaged + I've only driven it 5k miles since I bought it January 2015... So I might be fine? :|
Been driving the car to work for the last couple of weeks. The car is garaged at night but out in the sun during work hours Mon-Fri. I'm happy to say the melting has not progressed since I added the wrap.

I think the black plastic in that particular area is pretty thin. Perhaps the clear lens is creating a magnifying effect allowing it to get hot enough to melt. Or just the fact that it's clear and allowing a good amount of the sun's radiation to pass through compared to the red lens version. I know just touching the light where I put the black wrap is pretty hot to the touch when the sun is out.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:21 AM   #188
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro22 View Post
Been driving the car to work for the last couple of weeks. The car is garaged at night but out in the sun during work hours Mon-Fri. I'm happy to say the melting has not progressed since I added the wrap.

I think the black plastic in that particular area is pretty thin. Perhaps the clear lens is creating a magnifying effect allowing it to get hot enough to melt. Or just the fact that it's clear and allowing a good amount of the sun's radiation to pass through compared to the red lens version. I know just touching the light where I put the black wrap is pretty hot to the touch when the sun is out.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Would you be able to describe the name and link the product you used for the good of everyone?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #189
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Would you be able to describe the name and link the product you used for the good of everyone?
he mentioned it on the previous page and had pics. 3M matte black wrap.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Nitro22 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #190
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I think any type of wrap or vinyl covering will work. I like the carbon wrap that @shiumai used.

Here is a link for the same material I used for the matte black:
http://amzn.com/B017KSDDDU

If you know anybody who does wraps, they might give you some scrap to use. It does not take much material to cover these.

I had some left over from another project that I was able to use. I'm glad I kept it!
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #191
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I have clears installed, no problems yet, but it's only been about 50 miles max with them installed, been sitting in a box in my garage for years. Older style logo.

My car is not a daily, and sits in my garage at home, and a garage while at work, so not out in the sun much. Will post up more info if anything changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #192
_search

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxRZ_86 View Post
not that i can find. but i need to take them out to check more. its weird after two years they now just leak.
Yup. Same thing here, bought them about two years ago and got out of my car this morning to this:

Of course the warranty is only one year.
_search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #193
hamlet

Drives: blue brz, silver R8 5.2, orange s2K
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
have had mine for a couple years. zero issues to date
hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:11 AM   #194
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _search View Post
Yup. Same thing here, bought them about two years ago and got out of my car this morning to this:

Of course the warranty is only one year.
Once the moisture dries up you should take a close look at the inner edge of the top black plastic surface of the taillight underneath the clear plastic housing. Most people here with condensation issues claim to see a spot where the plastic has melted, breaking the airtight seal of the housing.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treminaor For This Useful Post:
_search (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #195
_search

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by treminaor View Post
Once the moisture dries up you should take a close look at the inner edge of the top black plastic surface of the taillight underneath the clear plastic housing. Most people here with condensation issues claim to see a spot where the plastic has melted, breaking the airtight seal of the housing.
Hey, thanks for the tip. Funny thing. I can't really see any signs of melt on this tail light, but I now do on the side that doesn't have condensation.

Man these lights look great but are kinda POS.
_search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #196
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _search View Post
Hey, thanks for the tip. Funny thing. I can't really see any signs of melt on this tail light, but I now do on the side that doesn't have condensation.

Man these lights look great but are kinda POS.
Yep I see signs of melting on my lights too but so far still no condensation after storing my car in the driveway for 3 months... wish the build quality of the lights was better because these are the best looking lights on the market imo.

A couple people recommended putting some clear vinyl wrap over the top surface of the lights to prevent some of the heat from the sun hitting the black inner plastic - no sure signs of it working yet.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote