follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
YOU guys are coming up with great stuff
Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Jason@Nameless

Drives: '88 BMW 535is Turbo
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
when will you be doing a dyno pull of the entire system from header to exhaust tip?

very curious!
Yep we have tested the catted header + exhaust, dyno details are in the other thread. And no it did not throw a check engine light. I'm fairly certain that we can avoid a CEL with the catless header as well. I've designed multiple downpipes for factory vehicles that use wideband secondary sensors and had no problem fooling them in the past, but our long term solution on secondary catalyst monitoring is going to most likely be a method of putting the secondary oxygen sensor aft of the downpipe catalyst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
Looks good.

Jason, for those that have already ordered the pipe, are they going to start shipping without the resonator?

Could we opt to wait until the resonator & possibly header testing is complete and then decide on adding a resonator to our pipes? I know I will be getting a header, and I am in no hurry. I'd like to weigh all the factors once testing on the full system is completed.

Thanks
Certainly. We were planning on contacting all of our customers to discuss this prior to shipping. We'd rather have people happy than having to yard parts off down the road to have us rework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1B View Post
Do u have drive by sound clip of one with headers and the helmholds and one same setup but without it?
I have the before sound clips in the cabin as well as outside of the car, and will have the after clips shortly. I also have a lot of logged frequency data to share if I can find a method of capturing it to video. May have to call on some of our video editing friends to make that happen, but I'll do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcnmv View Post
Thanks! The overpipe was what I was holding out for. Basically I want to change out as much as possible without voiding warranty so everything but headers. Any idea on a complete price? I'm not too far from you guys. Would be interested in coming down to have it installed. Can't wait to hear it when you get the resonators nailed down.
I'll discuss warranty issues elsewhere, but we have been selling our downpipes for the WRX & STi through a number of dealerships who are going as far as pro-tuning their customers cars at local shops, so I'm not terribly worried about dealing with snarky dealerships who want to scare their customers away from modifying their cars. We have had a number of issues with Kia/Hyundai dealerships not knowing enough about the Turbo Optima and Sonata to be able to diagnose issues completely unrelated to a wide variety of parts we make for those cars. In all of those cases we have been able to effectively diagnose the actual issue the car was having (unrelated to our parts) over the phone with the dealerships and in one situation we now have a dealership that puts over $3k worth of our parts onto brand new Kia Optimas for the showroom floor. The bottom line is: we are excellent at corresponding with dealerships in the stead of our customers and we have a number of great contacts on both the parts sales/service side of the shop as well as the technical side. My neighbor is a parts director at a very large Subaru dealership and one of our employees families owns a large Subaru dealership as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
No CEL? If not thats awesome.
Yeah no CEL with the catted design at all. Like I said earlier I've got a lot of experience with designing within the constraints of a factory tune and components. A few years back when I was working for a local Mazda performance shop we put an intake on the market that threw no codes, required no tune and made 36ft lb and 33whp. Billet MAF housings and positioning in the induction stream is absolutely critical in tuning an intake design for use without a tune. And generally these designs work equally well with a tune and MAF recal. Same is true of the downpipe and catless designs. Position of the sensor is critical, there's a narrow window of avoiding the CEL codes for catalyst below efficiency as well as a narrow window of avoiding the warmup below efficiency codes - both are on either end of an optimal design. Pull the O2 sensor too far out of the stream, it won't warm up fast enough, put the O2 sensor to close into the stream, it'll won't see enough difference between its reading and the primary O2 sensor reading.

Jason
Jason@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
You guys rock. I can't wait to see what you do with tuning.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Memphis

Drives: Scion FantasticRoad-Sex
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
ANy updated videos of the exhaust with the resonator?
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
V1B

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do we need cats? What about straight pipe? Just curious . Pros,cons?
V1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This won't work on RHD cars I assume?
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
the standard factory fit downpipe will fit on RHD cars no problem. The one with the integrated overpipe probably won't.

Here's the one you want:
http://shop.namelessperformance.com/...t-factory-fit/
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
Jason@Nameless

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
Nope won't work on RHD cars, but never fear, we do have the factory fit design available for our brothers down under. Just had the general manager from Pedders Suspension here for half the day, we can't wait to make a trip to Melbourne. Thinking about making a trip down around Christmas this year or next (Summernats has been a goal of ours for tens of years) and making some more connections for distributors in Australia. Not sure if you followed our work in the last few months but we have been doing fabrication and service support for the Summit Rally Team (also from Melbourne) in the Rally America series. Looking forward to a lot of collaboration and development with them in the future as well. The connections we have made through Will, Ross and the rest of the team have been amazing. Never would have guessed we would have spent half the day with an Australian suspension manufacturer even after doing the rally car work. Word travels fast!

Curious what your thoughts are. Think we should just make it one part on the RHD cars as well? I certainly think so. Seems to be silly to put a flange in there for no reason. Can you email me? I'd love to get some details on the stuff down in that area of the engine compartment on the RHD cars. jason.g@namelessperformance.com

Jason
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason@Nameless For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (06-28-2012), Touge Monster (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
Jason@Nameless

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1B View Post
Do we need cats? What about straight pipe? Just curious . Pros,cons?
Guessing ballistic louds. Could probably do a resonator instead though! I'm diggin' the idea factory that is FT86Club.com

Jason
Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
Nardi330

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. Im on my iPhone now and will send you an email when I go back to work.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
Nardi330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
Curious what your thoughts are. Think we should just make it one part on the RHD cars as well? I certainly think so. Seems to be silly to put a flange in there for no reason. Can you email me? I'd love to get some details on the stuff down in that area of the engine compartment on the RHD cars. jason.g@namelessperformance.com

Jason
email sent Jason.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Nardi330 For This Useful Post:
Jason@Nameless (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #26
Jason@Nameless

Garage
Helmholtz is dialed in. Just right. Still has a great exhaust tone and sports car sound, but dead silent at cruise and running around town. In cabin and out of car GoPro vids to follow.

GoPro died when we went to do the out of car, got it plugged in and copying the in cabin onto the computer right now.

Really happy with the way this turned out. Will contact all people who have downpipes on order to discuss.

Jason
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jason@Nameless For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (06-28-2012), Fly Guy (06-27-2012), KamalT (08-02-2012), Nardi330 (06-27-2012), Neziah (06-27-2012), sparks (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
we are testing with a band pass helmholtz resonator for testing with our header
I think you'll find that it's a band stop filter.

Looking forward to the Go-Pro vids.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #28
Jason@Nameless

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
I think you'll find that it's a band stop filter.
Damn it! You're RIGHT! Band pass would only selectively allow the target frequency and eliminate frequencies above and below, wouldn't it!

What has two thumbs and a stock stereo in every single one of his vehicles?

This guy.