follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
staro0989

Drives: '09 Accord Sedan; '15 FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Issues installing Release Series Headlights

So I purchased a set of used Release Series headlights for my 2015 Base FRS and I have encountered an issue. The headlights themselves function correctly but I am having an issue with the LED strip. I removed the DRL resistor as others have suggested and I have tapped into the green wire which runs to harness in the correct location. I tested both headlights previously (after I modified the harness on the left side only) and the LED strip was functioning correctly (i.e., powers on when car is on, e-brake is disengaged, and headlights weren't running). Now the green wire I have tapped into to get power to the LED's does not have power (tested via multimeter). I replaced the fuse located at the driver side footwell with no luck but I am thinking it may be the relay under the hood. Not too sure but any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
staro0989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staro0989 View Post
So I purchased a set of used Release Series headlights for my 2015 Base FRS and I have encountered an issue. The headlights themselves function correctly but I am having an issue with the LED strip. I removed the DRL resistor as others have suggested and I have tapped into the green wire which runs to harness in the correct location. I tested both headlights previously (after I modified the harness on the left side only) and the LED strip was functioning correctly (i.e., powers on when car is on, e-brake is disengaged, and headlights weren't running). Now the green wire I have tapped into to get power to the LED's does not have power (tested via multimeter). I replaced the fuse located at the driver side footwell with no luck but I am thinking it may be the relay under the hood. Not too sure but any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Just finished installing Euro (supposedly) GT86 headlights in my base 2014 FRS. Green wire going to the resistor was the hot wire and it worked fine for me. Kept having to remind myself that the engine had to be running and the e-brake down before the DRL would come on.

If your green wire no longer has power then the fuse would be the first check. Then the DRL relay. Can't figure why it would work then quit. Good luck!

If you get power back to that green wire, then maybe look into the "always on module" from one of the vendors that keeps the DRL leds on all the time. It's actually a harness to connect the base wiring to the Release Series wiring.
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
staro0989

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_inspired View Post
I installed GT86 Euro headlights. I remember I ran into the same problem and I believe everything started working when I tapped into the black wire.
I followed this tutorial:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39576

My strip is ON only when I turn on the side markers (one click).
Thank you, previously I had it running like the DRL when I only wired one side. I'll do some more investigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfordart View Post
Just finished installing Euro (supposedly) GT86 headlights in my base 2014 FRS. Green wire going to the resistor was the hot wire and it worked fine for me. Kept having to remind myself that the engine had to be running and the e-brake down before the DRL would come on.

If your green wire no longer has power then the fuse would be the first check. Then the DRL relay. Can't figure why it would work then quit. Good luck!

If you get power back to that green wire, then maybe look into the "always on module" from one of the vendors that keeps the DRL leds on all the time. It's actually a harness to connect the base wiring to the Release Series wiring.
Thank you for your response. I can't figure out why it worked when I only had one side wired up and now it doesn't. I checked the fuse and I replaced it to see if it made a difference with no luck. Does it only turn on when the car is in gear (I have a MT)? I tried disengaging the e-brake and it didn't power on.

Also, that is my intent to get the "always on module". I just want the headlight to function correctly first then get the module in order for it to be always on.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staro0989 View Post
Thank you, previously I had it running like the DRL when I only wired one side. I'll do some more investigation.

Thank you for your response. I can't figure out why it worked when I only had one side wired up and now it doesn't. I checked the fuse and I replaced it to see if it made a difference with no luck. Does it only turn on when the car is in gear (I have a MT)? I tried disengaging the e-brake and it didn't power on.

Also, that is my intent to get the "always on module". I just want the headlight to function correctly first then get the module in order for it to be always on.
DRL works any time the engine is running and the e-brake is down, being in gear or neutral has nothing to do with it. So you can take that out of the mix.

Here's how I wired mine...I cut the 2 wires between the plug and the resistor so I would have a connector to use. That left me with a connector with 2 short wires. I cut off the short wire on the "not green" wire side of the connector so it is now a dead end. The short wire on the "green" wire side I stripped and on it soldered 2 long wires, one going to each of the new headlights. I basically get 12 volts from each of those.

Have you checked your DRL relay to make sure it's still working?
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
staro0989

I think I found my issue, I switched the DRL relay with the AC Condenser Fan Relay (same relay per diagrams and per my search of OEM parts sites) and the car wouldn't turn over. So I switched them back into the original position and the car didn't have any issues (led strips still not working). I ordered a new relay and will see if it solves my problem.