follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
sodjer

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to sodjer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigMiles View Post
What is the resolution for the chirping sound fuel pump? Do people just live with it? Just how bad is it? Anyone have an audio recording?

Snow tires. Any weird things I need to know? TPMS? What size wheels and snows do you run? Same as OEM P215/45R17 ?

Heard the head unit is bad. Poor stereo. Bad bluetooth. IS there a common upgrade, or am I stuck with OEM?
As others have said, I've also noticed using non-ethanol blends keeps the crickets at bay. As soon as I fill up with anything with even as low as a 10% blend it's instant crickets.

Can't help much on snow tires, although I think a lot of people pick up 16" steel wheels and Blizzaks. I kept my '96 Explorer to handle the slick stuff (car does fine with Continental DWS06's and is a blast to drive, but it's the other people on the road that worries me. If some idiot is gonna hit me I'd rather it be the Explorer that they hit vs. the BRZ )

Stock head unit is garbage imo. You have lots of choices, limited only by the amount you want to spend (which is true for about anything I spose). This has been the easiest head unit I've ever swapped.
sodjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you buy a 2013 and plan on using it in the winter, check how far the windows drop when you open the door.

If they drop 1", you will have issues with frozen windows getting stuck open. If they drop 1/2", the TSB fix for frozen window problems has been performed and you'll be fine. 2014s and newer don't have this problem.

For snow tires, I'd recommend getting 205/55R16. It's an OEM approved size listed in the manual and original equipment in other markets. Unless you're planning big brake upgrades I'd save the money and reduce your risk of bent rims from potholes.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #17
LudwigMiles
Banned

Drives: '13 BRZ
The seller said he got a recall done regarding leaking windows.
I will verify with him what the exact nature was.

Is there a way to verify the TSB that was done using my VIN?
Call the dealer?
LudwigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #18
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
What is the resolution for the chirping sound fuel pump? Do people just live with it? Just how bad is it? Anyone have an audio recording?

>No real solution...
October 2016 seems to be the closest solution. Working chirp free for a lot of users. Depends on if it bothers you or not. It bothered me so I got it done inder the TSB under warranty.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
moparbrian

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The chirping is just part of the car. My 2016 does it and my brothers new 2017 does it. Just the way of life with these cars.
moparbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #20
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I am considering an FRS/BRZ.

I like to keep my cars bone stock.
If I want a 2013 (premium/base) with about 30k miles, what price range should I expect?

I understand these cars are 2013+ new and few may have been taken to over 80k miles yet. So, not much widespread maintenance has been done yet. That said, how is the DIY resources for this car? Are they nonexistent since there have not been any big repairs for people yet?

I heard that the engine needs to be dropped to replace the rear two spark plugs. Any truth to this?

Snow tires. Any weird things I need to know? TPMS? What size wheels and snows do you run? Same as OEM P215/45R17 ?

Heard the head unit is bad. Poor stereo. Bad bluetooth. IS there a common upgrade, or am I stuck with OEM?
Seems like just yesterday that I went through this... But it'll actually be 2 years in September!

Spark Plugs:
I let my dealership handle this one... But yes they are reportedly a PITA to change on your own.

Chirping:
I've learned to live with it... If you youtube FR-S chirping you can probably find some videos, or I can post one later.

Snow Tires:
These were my first purchase based on the feedback I found on this forum. I live in NJ, and although I put them on in the Winter, I have noticed no real benefit to them because of the mild winters the last two years.

WITH THAT BEING SAID. If this is your daily driver or you live in a cold weather environment I would still advise on purchasing winter tires. It's better to be safe than sorry and at certain temperatures / accumulation levels snow tires do have tangible benefits.

My winter tires are below:

205/55R-16 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT XL

TPMS:
I remember going back and forth on this... And I would skip purchasing additional TPMS sensors for your winter tires. Everything will function just fine without the sensors and the light on the dashboard for no TPMS isn't that distracting.

Get into the habit of checking tire pressure on a regular basis and you'll never run into an issue.

Bluetooth:
I have had zero bluetooth issues. The headunit on the basic model isn't anything to write home about - but I've had no issues with it either (but I'm not much of an audiophile)...
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
LudwigMiles
Banned

Drives: '13 BRZ
Can you tell me how to use the head unit?

I just need it for 2 things: Playing phone audio, and speaker phone.
Having a radio would also be nice. Can this HU do those things?

Mine just says "No connection".
But, I have no idea how to connect.
My phone does not recognize any BT device to connect to.
LudwigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #22
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Quote:
Can you tell me how to use the head unit?

I just need it for 2 things: Playing phone audio, and speaker phone.
Having a radio would also be nice. Can this HU do those things?

Mine just says "No connection".
But, I have no idea how to connect.
My phone does not recognize any BT device to connect to.

You need to be at a full stop. Turn on the head unit and push the center knob - their should be an option for bluetooth.

Bluetooth connect / searcj on the car and your phone at the same time, should work...

(I have the basic headunit)
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #23
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
hi
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #24
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Enter konami code on head unit to disable crickets
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #25
ImAdopted
Super Saiyan

Drives: 9000 HP FRS
winter is fine. i got 215/45R17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 and had 0 issues what so ever, didnt even use sandbags in the back
ImAdopted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subaru, subaru brz