follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Fallen

Drives: 2017 Black GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with exhaust setup

Hi guys!

I wanted to ask for some help as far as exhaust setup goes.

I just got my GT86 and here in Portugal there are not that many 86’s so I have no idea on how loud the car might get with the exhaust mods I’m thinking on getting.. I mean, I’ve seen youtube videos but it’s not the same.

I got an HKS Legamax Premium exhaust (axle back) and fitted it 2 weeks after I got the car. The souund got a lot better but I wanted it to be a bit louder.

I’m thinking on getting the Tomei UEL headers but I’m afraid it might be too much and will attract sone unwanted attention from the cops.

Would you reccomend any headers that won’t make the car super loud? Or the best option is getting a ressonated front pipe and fit it along with the headers?

Thanks!
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
The Tomei UEL will get you more volume, primarily because you're removing a CAT. The tone will change due to the UEL but from what I remember the Legamax premium is a fairly quiet catback so I think you'll be fine. I can't recall if it comes with a resonator or if you use the stock midpipe, either way, I would leave the rest of the exhaust stock since the CAT and resonator(s) do a good job of taming the noise.

Get a tune to go with your Tomei, like OFT, to get the performance gains from the new catless header...you'll be happy you did!
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Fallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
The Tomei UEL will get you more volume, primarily because you're removing a CAT. The tone will change due to the UEL but from what I remember the Legamax premium is a fairly quiet catback so I think you'll be fine. I can't recall if it comes with a resonator or if you use the stock midpipe, either way, I would leave the rest of the exhaust stock since the CAT and resonator(s) do a good job of taming the noise.

Get a tune to go with your Tomei, like OFT, to get the performance gains from the new catless header...you'll be happy you did!

Thanks!

Yeah, the Legamax is fairly quiet and I got it mostly because of that as the headers were already in the plans.

Think I will stick to the initial plan and get the Tomei headers then. But will still wait for more ideas from other owners just to know which diretions I can go with.

I’m very likely to get the OFT but the problem is I can only find it being sold on the US and I’ll have to pay a lot of import taxes 😒
Old 10-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
So even if you picked up a used OFT from a private party, you'd still have to pay import taxes? They go for $400 all day, every day on this forum, I sold mine for $400 last year to another forum member. Shipping might be a little bit though.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Fallen

Good question.. I’m not sure if I have to pay the taxes buying it that way. I’ll google about that

In the meantime, I’ll look for some used OFT here