follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
It's always easier to add them. Removing them, especially park benches like the STi, involve filling holes and repainting for it to look right.

It's always cheaper to not include them in production... simply less parts.
So then adding them involves drilling holes, and painting the entire spoiler to match. Don't forget to blend paint, most shops will want to paint the trunk for a proper blend.

I'd say drilling a hole and painting a spoiler is harder than filling a hole and painting a hole.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
I've never seen any dealers spray the hatch or trunk to blend-match the manufacturer add-on spoiler. In fact most of them outsource the paint job entirely and install them in their own shop (or parking lot in some cases). There's not a terrible amount of variation from the original paint code to what you see in a new car on the lot. All you have to do is drill the holes and set the sealant.

So yeah properly filling and sanding the hole and painting the trunk or hatch panel is harder. I guess I should have specified on the consumer.

But try this... go to a dealership that has the big STi spoiler on a car and tell them you want the car without the spoiler. They won't want to do it or will charge you out the ass, or point you to another car. But adding one on as an option is never a problem.
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I've never seen any dealers spray the hatch or trunk to blend-match the manufacturer add-on spoiler. In fact most of them outsource the paint job entirely and install them in their own shop (or parking lot in some cases). There's not a terrible amount of variation from the original paint code to what you see in a new car on the lot. All you have to do is drill the holes and set the sealant.

So yeah properly filling and sanding the hole and painting the trunk or hatch panel is harder. I guess I should have specified on the consumer.

But try this... go to a dealership that has the big STi spoiler on a car and tell them you want the car without the spoiler. They won't want to do it or will charge you out the ass, or point you to another car. But adding one on as an option is never a problem.
True

Most if not all dealerships have an offsite bodyshop. The main problem is painting fiberglass. Even with the correct color code and process, the same paint applied on metal might/will look slightly off from the fiberglass painted and won't last as long.

If it's an OEM equipment, like the STI wing, it was probably painted and prepped along with the other painted items but then again you are have to deal with the elements.

Hopefully it'll be a factory option b/c I sure wouldn't want it standard.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Yeah same here, and I hope there's two or three options so everyone is happy.
bofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I wouldn't mind a spoiler like that but im afraid of having morons coming up and revving at me. Especially where i live i could see it happening often ~_~
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
some cars looks good on big spoiler like supra MK4, STI 4 door sedan, some evo, r34 & S15 this may grow on me but if R&T or autocar test the FT86 with vs with out a wing and made atleast 2sec faster on a time attack I'll keep it.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
I like the design of the spoiler and the shape and all I just think it looks so big on that little car... if it was a bit smaller (maybe lower?) and the sides weren't so big and awkward it would look really good, as said above i like the STI sedan wing as well though the 2011 looks nicer that the previous generations imo, and the stock supra spoiler as well as the RMM/TRD wing look awsome as well, depends on the car I guess some can pull it off others cant

Last edited by C-Bone; 05-20-2011 at 07:08 PM.
C-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #22
blacknbean
Butterscotch Boss

Drives: 335i
do no want! unless your on the track its not needed and looks tacky most of the time. if there was an option i would choose the smaller one, else its coming off day one.
blacknbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bone View Post
I like the design of the spoiler and the shape and all I just think it looks so big on that little car... if it was a bit smaller (maybe lower?) and the sides weren't so big and awkward it would look really good, as said above i like the STI sedan wing as well though the 2011 looks nicer that the previous generations imo, and the stock supra spoiler as well as the RMM/TRD wing look awsome as well, depends on the car I guess some can pull it off others cant
Yeah I agree, it surely does look big on the car, but see my point about rear visibility if they lower it... :/
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
It's always easier to add them. Removing them, especially park benches like the STi, involve filling holes and repainting for it to look right.

It's always cheaper to not include them in production... simply less parts.
Anytime you speak in absolutes you're bound to be wrong. It's not always easier to add them. Depends on the design of the Trunk. It might require a lot of fabbing structural support.

And cheaper is a relative term. How much do you think they'll knock off the MSRP? $50? Nothing? $500? Sure they charge more to add it, but they rarely charge less to do without.

In a way this seems really funny to me because people are getting really heated about this spoiler and we literally have no idea if it will even make it into production in any version. It could be there just to piss people off .
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu0u View Post
I wouldn't mind a spoiler like that but im afraid of having morons coming up and revving at me. Especially where i live i could see it happening often ~_~
So ignore them?

I've had people come up and try to race me, take off all fast then get pulled over or get into accidents. It's actually cracked me up a few times when you drive by them they are heated.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #26
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaObsession View Post
So ignore them?

I've had people come up and try to race me, take off all fast then get pulled over or get into accidents. It's actually cracked me up a few times when you drive by them they are heated.
I like taking off by them and flooring it up to the speed limit and then watching them keep going.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #27
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
Yeah I agree, it surely does look big on the car, but see my point about rear visibility if they lower it... :/
Ya but I can live with having a bit of an obstruction in my rearview if it looks good. I'd rather have that than some enormous wing that looks like crap just so I can see 100% out the window lol, but that's just me...
Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
It's in the Japanese DNA (rememmber the 90's).... we wait and see the final outcomes, maybe turns to be good (I kinda like it at some angles, and hate it some times)
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote