follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Koncealed

Drives: 2014 CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Modifying my BRZ/Exhaust (for noobs)

Hey guys,

so some of you may know (most of you probably don't), but I just got my BRZ around a month ago and I'm loving it a lot. I think that I want to start modifying it now to make it sound bad ass. I already love the way it looks, so I don't see my changing anything there, but to put it really short and to the point, I have no knowledge what so ever of modifying cars, I have no idea what header-backs, catbacks, straight pipe, or any of that shit means. I'm pretty clueless as to what they even are/mean, let alone how to install something.

Anyways, I want to put an exhaust system on my car to make it sound really bad ass, but I have no idea as to what is the best one, what to look for, and etc. I'm only 18 (still in high school >.>), so as you can tell I haven't got any experience with modifying cars. Do I just take it to the dealership to get these parts installed?

Also, I saw this video on youtube of a borla exhaust which sounds incredible to me in every way, but I'm not sure if the only thing I need to buy is the exhaust or if there are other parts I need or?..

Basically a crash course would be VERY helpful, on what exactly I need to get/should get. I don't really have a budget, so if something is a tad bit pricey but sounds great, I'm down.

Here is the video of the exhaust I saw on youtube, what do I need to get to make my car sound like this? Thanks guys..

* GO TO 50 SECONDS IN THE VIDEO *

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_p-QG_lukI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_p-QG_lukI[/ame]
Koncealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
jonzhuxD

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koncealed View Post
Hey guys,

so some of you may know (most of you probably don't), but I just got my BRZ around a month ago and I'm loving it a lot. I think that I want to start modifying it now to make it sound bad ass. I already love the way it looks, so I don't see my changing anything there, but to put it really short and to the point, I have no knowledge what so ever of modifying cars, I have no idea what header-backs, catbacks, straight pipe, or any of that shit means. I'm pretty clueless as to what they even are/mean, let alone how to install something.

Anyways, I want to put an exhaust system on my car to make it sound really bad ass, but I have no idea as to what is the best one, what to look for, and etc. I'm only 18 (still in high school >.>), so as you can tell I haven't got any experience with modifying cars. Do I just take it to the dealership to get these parts installed?

Also, I saw this video on youtube of a borla exhaust which sounds incredible to me in every way, but I'm not sure if the only thing I need to buy is the exhaust or if there are other parts I need or?..

Basically a crash course would be VERY helpful, on what exactly I need to get/should get. I don't really have a budget, so if something is a tad bit pricey but sounds great, I'm down.

Here is the video of the exhaust I saw on youtube, what do I need to get to make my car sound like this? Thanks guys..

Don't really have a budget? Lucky you!

Well as the title of the video states, that's a Borla UEL header paired with ft86speedfactory's V1 catback exhaust. I believe ft86speedfactory sells bundles, maybe you could configure one on their site or contact Jeremy here at the forums.

If you have no experience installing and have no idea where to start you could take it to a shop to have it installed for you or you could look at the numerous DIY's here on this site or on the rest of the internet to get a general idea of how to go forward with this.

TL;DR
Borla UEL and FT86speedfactory v1 catback
jonzhuxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I resisted from saying mean things after I read his post and the part where he is 18, money is not an issue and is in high school.
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blackhawkdown For This Useful Post:
FR-S Matt (04-29-2014), humfrz (04-29-2014), Lord Peth (04-30-2014), MagicBobert (04-29-2014), mikeTee (04-29-2014), projectXTR (04-29-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Also remember, that a Catless Borla UEL will cause a CEL eventually. So if you want to get rid of that you should consider some kind of tuning solution.

A nice "off the shelf" tune that many consider is Vishnu Tuning's Open Flash Tablet

EDIT:

Also you should instead look and read more about anything you purchase both pros and cons (I'm talking any kind of mod)
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
ZOMBRZ

Drives: 2014 CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Basically you don't wanna do any mod installation at the dealer. I'm not even sure if they will actually install it for you. Go to a trusted local auto body shop to do the installation. You can always do it yourself if you have a lift or stands.

To make your car sound like this you will need unequal length headers (UEL). If you run these headers they will throw a check engine light due to there being no cat in the headers. You can always fix this with a tune. Another alternative is the ft86speedfactory UEL catted header. I believe that shouldn't throw a CEL code. Headers will make your car very loud especially if you run a louder exhaust like a greddy evo 3 or invidia n1. Personally I decided to go with a greddy evo 3 and an invidia catted front pipe. So most exhausts for our cars are cat back. Meaning the exhaust starts after the front pipe which contains a cat. People will replace their stock front pipe with an aftermarket front pipe that has a high flow cat or has no cat at all and is just a straight pipe usually called a test pipe. Either way your car will be louder than the stock front pipe. If you want that "boxer rumble" like how other subarus sound, you will have to go with UEL headers. Then you can replace the stock overpipe, which is the pipe in front of the front pipe that connects to the headers, for a slight performance gain and an even louder exhaust note.

Basically if you want an exhaust that's all u need if you just want sound. If you want more loud go with a front pipe, then an overpipe, then headers. A full system will be very very loud. Most people will purchase a quieter exhaust if they are upgrading their entire system,this includes headers.
ZOMBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Do some research on the countless other threads that have been made like this.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I don't recommend modding anything until you know what it does first. Learn more about your car, then start modifying. It's actually a great project car to learn on. Getting a catback to start out with is fine to make it sound "badass" since I know how that was when I was 18.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Craig

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Google? You highschool whippersnappers should be pretty good at figuring things out that way.

Seriously though, the top of this forum has a diagram showing the breakdown of the frs/brz exhaust system. In the time it took for you to type us that essay you could have read that post and googled straight pipe to find the answer on yahoo answers LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Ocean-Grown 86
It was fun

Drives: Dirty FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
1. Search the exhaust threads and take into consideration your priorities (noise level, emissions, etc.)
2. Try looking under your car to get a better understanding. Personally, i would much rather diy the install as you save money and gain skill. Exhausts are easy but make sure you use secure ramps or jack stands. (Don't squash yourself!)
Ocean-Grown 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
johnnyfast11

Drives: none yet
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
the answer to all your question is here.
johnnyfast11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
bluesman

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is the video of the exhaust I saw on youtube, what do I need to get to make my car sound like this?
I'm staying out of the social discussion, as tempting as it was to start with "When I was 18...."

Unless you have a major league sound system with a big sub and as much power as your car, I don't think you can come close to knowing what an exhaust sounds like in real life from a YouTube clip (you can't even come close to knowing what a Hammond B-3 through a Leslie sounds like from YouTube). So if you're particular about the sound, you have to go listen to cars with different systems on them. Find a local club meet, or contact people on this board who live near you and have posted about their exhausts.

If you just want loud, buy a Tsudo catback or an Invidia N1 without a resonator and you'll have it. But if you want a certain quality (deep, sharp, etc), don't rely on YouTube. The glut of almost-new exhausts for sale comes from people who thought it'd sound different.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Here's a break down of the exhaust pieces:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff View Post
Catback = midpipe and muffer
Headerback = overpipe + frontpipe + midpipe + muffler
Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey guys,

If we're just talking a catback or an axleback and you only have the extra money for the parts, then do NOT let a shop install it for you. You'll be paying them a fairly large bit of money for something you can do yourself in your driveway with 2 jackstands, a jack, wheel chalks, and some common metric sockets and wrenches.

The catback is accessed after the fiberglass underbody tray ends, so it's all there and accessible from the get go. Very easy to do. So easy, a Capital One caveman could do it.

There's DIY instructions here on the forums from GrimmSpeed on how to disassemble your exhaust. Just follow the relevant portions only and you'll be good.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You better check what kind of air emissions (smog test) your state has before you touch the headers or cat. You don't want to end up spending a lot of money to mod the exhaust to learn that your car can't pass inspection. Most of the folks swapping headers on this forum either live in states that do not do emissions testing or live in a state that does not test for the first few years.

You might also want to go to some local meet ups to check out different types of exhaust in person. Best of luck to you in your search for the perfect exhaust system!

Tags
exhaust modification noob