follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 08-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #351
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannerpussPRO View Post
I have a 2013 Scion FRS. That I bought new and have owned since 2012– problem free. I generally stay off the forums.

I completed the service recall in mid May. Didn’t think much about it at the time.

Roughly one month after the recall I experienced a check engine light. Brought it in and the dealer told me it was nothing to be alarmed about, cleared the code and sent me on my way. As the car was behaving normally I accepted this.

Roughly one month later the engine light came back accompanied by a rough idle. Took the car back and they charged me $500 to replace the fuel / air sensor. Car worked fine besides an issue the very next morning where I experienced a lack of throttle while trying to accelerate out of a corner. No other issues so I dismissed it.

Now, one month later, the rough idle is back and my check engine light popped on about an hour ago.

It’s at this point I decide to google and see if anyone else is having problems and.... oh good god what have I done.

So, before I start digging into this thread does anyone care to just give me the cliff notes version of this? How fucked am I? I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the dealer and I’m anxious as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First off, welcome to our forum -

Second off, what do you do with all your free time - not being on forums?

Next off, what code is giving the CEL? You can read it yourself or ask the local auto parts shop to read it for you.

Without knowing the trouble code, we have no way to determine it's seriousness.

As far as your car, if it's still running - that's a good sign. -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #352
Dmac

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
This fucking sad man . I'm sorry fucking bullshit

I agree, Toyota (especially my cities Toyota) has been fucking up bad lately. Thanks though!
Dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #353
NannerpussPRO

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
First off, welcome to our forum -

Second off, what do you do with all your free time - not being on forums?

Next off, what code is giving the CEL? You can read it yourself or ask the local auto parts shop to read it for you.

Without knowing the trouble code, we have no way to determine it's seriousness.

As far as your car, if it's still running - that's a good sign. -

humfrz

I find that the forums tend to be a bit like webMD for me— always causing me to think something is wrong when it isn’t. Plus I spend WAY more time than I should on another forum already— avsforum.

I’m on the road right now on the way to the dealership. I have the codes written down from the previous work. Will update with whatever they find today.

Yes, I’m glad the car is still running but reading reports of owners who experienced engine failure (some while on the freeway!) has me more than a little concerned that my future is grim. My idle has been remarkably rough and that seemed consistent with the air / fuel sensor being bad. Now, after reading here and other places, I’m afraid the issue may be more serious.
NannerpussPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NannerpussPRO For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #354
humfrz

Quote:
I find that the forums tend to be a bit like webMD for me— always causing me to think something is wrong when it isn’t. Plus I spend WAY more time than I should on another forum already— avsforum.

I’m on the road right now on the way to the dealership. I have the codes written down from the previous work. Will update with whatever they find today.

Yes, I’m glad the car is still running but reading reports of owners who experienced engine failure (some while on the freeway!) has me more than a little concerned that my future is grim. My idle has been remarkably rough and that seemed consistent with the air / fuel sensor being bad. Now, after reading here and other places, I’m afraid the issue may be more serious.
Well, let's hope it's not serious and can be straightened out with a minor adjustment, like … like … like … is there such a thing as a "minor adjustment" with these cars?

humfrz
Old 08-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #355
Tgutz21

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Vehicle Milage: 53,xxx miles.

Vehicle Make: 2013 BRZ

Milage after Recall: less than 1 mile, yes 1 mile.

Symptoms: Ticking, Knocking.

Engine blew again on technician after repairing the first failure.

Length of time car was at dealership: 6 months.

Here I am two blown engines later and six months of not having my car.
At this point I don’t want the car back, but they won’t repurchase the vehicle, now that it is repaired. Initially they offered me $3,500 and a 3 year/36,00 miles warranty. After almost finalizing it, they told me I would actually only get a one year limited warranty. I don’t drive it often so I am worried if it gives out for a third time I won’t be covered.
Tgutz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tgutz21 For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #356
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Wow, what dealer is that?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #357
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgutz21 View Post
Vehicle Milage: 53,xxx miles.

Vehicle Make: 2013 BRZ

Milage after Recall: less than 1 mile, yes 1 mile.

Symptoms: Ticking, Knocking.

Engine blew again on technician after repairing the first failure.

Length of time car was at dealership: 6 months.

Here I am two blown engines later and six months of not having my car.

At this point I don’t want the car back, but they won’t repurchase the vehicle, now that it is repaired. Initially they offered me $3,500 and a 3 year/36,00 miles warranty. After almost finalizing it, they told me I would actually only get a one year limited warranty. I don’t drive it often so I am worried if it gives out for a third time I won’t be covered.

God damn bro , that's some shit right there I'm truly sorry and hope you had at least a back up car which sounds like you do since you don't drive yours often like myself . What dealer is this ? They going to charge you again for the third engine ? Same tech did the fuck up 2x?

mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #358
NannerpussPRO

Quote:
Well, let's hope it's not serious and can be straightened out with a minor adjustment, like … like … like … is there such a thing as a "minor adjustment" with these cars?

humfrz

They are keeping the car. Code still shows the fuel air issue but the sensor is in spec. They want to check valve clearance.

And away we go...
humfrz (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #359
humfrz

Quote:
They are keeping the car. Code still shows the fuel air issue but the sensor is in spec. They want to check valve clearance.

And away we go...
hmmmm….how do they figure that, that trouble code has anything to do with valve clearance?

What is the code?

humfrz
Old 08-16-2019, 04:36 AM   #360
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
I know nothing about these engines but with all these failures surely a better solution would be for Toyota/Subaru to come up with a traditional gasket solution to seal these up instead of using liquid sealant? Probably not even possible due to engine design?
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #361
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_pete View Post
I know nothing about these engines but with all these failures surely a better solution would be for Toyota/Subaru to come up with a traditional gasket solution to seal these up instead of using liquid sealant? Probably not even possible due to engine design?

Not going to happen. There are spots where 3 parts come together and with varying tolerances due to manufacturing coupled with assembly variances, the gaps are never the same. There would be no way to make a rubber gasket that would accommodate all this variance. There is a reason they all eventually leak at the bottom right of the timing cover (the spot where there are several intersections). If a standard gasket was used it would leak right from the factory.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-16-2019), maslin (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #362
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_pete View Post
This isn't something Toyota/Subaru invented. Every single manufacturer uses sealant on the engine. Engines are torn down and glued back together every day in shops across the world and they don't blow up.

They put out a recall with limited training and a terrible punch time. Experienced guys rushed, or dumped it to an hourly tech. Mistakes are made and sadly there are consequences.

I've worked in Mercedes dealerships in Virginia, Montana and Oregon for 14 years. We've been using liquid sealant since at least the '80s? I have never, not once, seen an engine damaged by scraped off sealant. It's a matter of experience and a whole lot of give-a-shit.

I've been in Toyota shops, it isn't necessarily the top 1% of UTI they hire, I'll leave it at that.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-16-2019), Ultramaroon (01-15-2020)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #363
NannerpussPRO

Quote:
hmmmm….how do they figure that, that trouble code has anything to do with valve clearance?

What is the code?

humfrz

I’m not at home so I don’t have the exact code but when they looked at it initially they thought it was the fuel air sensor again.
humfrz (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #364
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Not going to happen. There are spots where 3 parts come together and with varying tolerances due to manufacturing coupled with assembly variances, the gaps are never the same. There would be no way to make a rubber gasket that would accommodate all this variance. There is a reason they all eventually leak at the bottom right of the timing cover (the spot where there are several intersections). If a standard gasket was used it would leak right from the factory.
So, why then, are they now making such goofy engines? -

humfrz
Attached Images

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring