follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #43
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
there are sooo many websites, videos, photos and issues with the TINY FOLDABLE tow hooks causing excessive damage, let alone a huge stick.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #44
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Both ends against the middle.
First it is a cheep mount with a soft hit that will let the plate frame bend and mark the front of the car . Then it is a hard hit with a robust mount that will bend the frame.
Any soft hit will mar the front with or without whatever mount, any hard hit can do damage depending on how hard and where again with or without a mount.
You seem to have made up your mind, go for what ever makes you happy and hope you do not get hit.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #45
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
This thread has me interested in the GrimmSpeed kit though. @GrimmSpeed do you have any pics of how flush the plate is on a BRZ with your kit? I'm using some random no-name kit on my car and the plate sticks out a bit more than I'd like.
Post #26 shows what it looks like when mounted flush, and you can see it is completely flush. These are designed to be flush, and then we add spacers so you can sit them however you want. An example of that is the first picture in Post #28.

An example showing how it is impossible for the "4000lb bending from the side, unholy damage" situation to occur. This would assume that the front bumper didnt exist and that you were able to get an appreciable push on the tow hook bolt itself, from an angle that is only possible to get without a front bumper, because if you had one on, the offending car would already be contacting the entirety of the front bumper, making a further push impossible. In order to cause any sort of damage to the threads you would need a substantial hit, nearly straight into the plane of the tow hook itself.

Once again, the U-bracket acts as a fuse, and will bend first, before anything else does, saving any sort of damage to the tow hook threads. After that bends the licence plate would end up against the front bumper, and any sort of additional pushing would be on the front bumper, not completely through the tow hook. The tow hook bolt portion itself does not extend past the front bumper. I have explained this before, and was ignored and then discredited. But obviously these are the two reasons why the "fake physics" being pitched are so out of hand.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-01-2017), HunterGreene (05-01-2017), PandaSPUR (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #46
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Post #26 shows what it looks like when mounted flush, and you can see it is completely flush. These are designed to be flush, and then we add spacers so you can sit them however you want. An example of that is the first picture in Post #28.

An example showing how it is impossible for the "4000lb bending from the side, unholy damage" situation to occur. This would assume that the front bumper didnt exist and that you were able to get an appreciable push on the tow hook bolt itself, from an angle that is only possible to get without a front bumper, because if you had one on, the offending car would already be contacting the entirety of the front bumper, making a further push impossible. In order to cause any sort of damage to the threads you would need a substantial hit, nearly straight into the plane of the tow hook itself.

Once again, the U-bracket acts as a fuse, and will bend first, before anything else does, saving any sort of damage to the tow hook threads. After that bends the licence plate would end up against the front bumper, and any sort of additional pushing would be on the front bumper, not completely through the tow hook. The tow hook bolt portion itself does not extend past the front bumper. I have explained this before, and was ignored and then discredited. But obviously these are the two reasons why the "fake physics" being pitched are so out of hand.

Chase
Engineering
Yea I saw those pics, but the two pics of twins were both of a FR-S. Was curious to see if you have any pics of this mounted on the BRZ since the bumpers are different. Not sure if it affects how flush it is (probably not?).
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #47
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Yea I saw those pics, but the two pics of twins were both of a FR-S. Was curious to see if you have any pics of this mounted on the BRZ since the bumpers are different. Not sure if it affects how flush it is (probably not?).
Our shop car is a BRZ so we should have tons of pictures, but it looks like most of the links are broken. However there are a ton of pictures towards the end of the group buy thread, or from googling.

Dracos has some good pictures in this post showing where he chose to put his: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...?t=6622&page=8

He chose to mount his non-flush, nothing wrong with that. And here is a picture of NYC BRZ:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=367

That position is going to be the flush mounting position shown, identical to the FRS pictures. In reality there really is no difference in the amount the bumpers stick out at that point on the two vehicles.

It's probably a lot faster to google pictures than it is to go through that thread, but it's a decent thread from the introduction of our BRZ/FR-S specific kit from years ago.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #48
PandaSPUR

Gonna bump this cause it was hilarious, and I finally got my @GrimmSpeed plate kit installed.

It fits amazingly close to the bumper. And I cant really see it putting me at a higher risk of frame damage since the main rod in the tow hook spot does not stick out very far anyway.

Some pics:

I didn't mount the plate itself centered on the tow hook rod since I liked it better this way, I'm hoping it doesnt come loose and swing downwards. Will have to keep an eye on it. I did put some blue thread locker on it though.

Looks way better than my previous kit:
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (06-26-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:02 AM   #49
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
God, how did I miss this thread... I've seen cars pulled out of ditches, yes sideways, from the toe hooks.

It's a HUGE bolt and mounted to the strongest part of the car. You'd bend the mount well before you'd do anything to the bolt hole or frame.

As an aside, I love my Raceseng mount. Was literally the first thing I bought for my car.

Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #50
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Mount held up fine when hitting a wall at the track.

By the way, the tow hook is in the Crash bar, the crash bar is bolted with 8 bolts to the frame.

My license plate got messed up, the bracket that holds the plate is a little tweaked, but the big ass bolt was unaffected. It's a Grimmspeed mount.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #51
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
I sometimes wonder .. if it's "unavoidable evil" .. there aren't any positions that plate could be mounted at, where it would do something practical?
Like redirecting airflow for reducing drag or affecting cooling with shielding some non-rad grill area off and so on ..
Of course, such plain shape that in general is just of brick aerodynamics type is hard to think of where to mount so that it actually do something, even more so that it should be visible/vertical, not eg. at angle. But for example, how/what will be changed if it's mounted in center at black bumper mid tab vs on lower lip aero-wise? Or if it blocks right or left side of grill? Or mounted .. somewhere, to create higher pressure area after which .. don't know, some brakes air duct or modded ram-air intake placed? Or something can be thought off with playing with license plate frame shape ..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #52
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone tried installing the Skene Design kit on a FR-S (2013)?

https://skenebrackets.com/

Not sure if it'll work since the lip above the grill doesn't extend too far but I'm leaning towards center mounting my plate after having it off for a while (currently have a cheap relocation kit that has the plate off to the side)...
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #53
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Has anyone tried installing the Skene Design kit on a FR-S (2013)?

https://skenebrackets.com/

Not sure if it'll work since the lip above the grill doesn't extend too far but I'm leaning towards center mounting my plate after having it off for a while (currently have a cheap relocation kit that has the plate off to the side)...
I havent seen that brand specifically, but I've seen people mount their plates using the lip area above the grill.