follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #43
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This...

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...184812762.html

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #44
SloS13

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would be very interested to see several of the the same car used with vastly different products then have detailing professionals give their unbiased opinions on the finishes and put them through some durability tests.
SloS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #45
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS13 View Post
I would be very interested to see several of the the same car used with vastly different products then have detailing professionals give their unbiased opinions on the finishes and put them through some durability tests.
Unless all the cars receive the same prep for the final wax/sealer, the results wouldn't really be a fair product comparison. Wax is like Paint. With Paint, the results you get are entirely dependent on the bodywork that was done beforehand. With Wax, the results depend entirely on the polishing that was done in preparation for the final step - wax.

I let my dealer wax the car before I picked it up. It was against my better judgement but I knew I didn't have the time for a full so I let it go. I also didn't want to take the polisher to a finish that new. I figured they would use a crappy cleaner wax, and the swirl marks that started showing up as the wax wore off backed that up.

Once the weather is warm enough, I'll give this a full detail and then top it with 2 or 3 coats of blackfire. That will get me through the summer and then I'll probably just clay bar and put more blackfire on in the fall (polishing any areas that need it).

I'm a big believer in polishing. I painted my S13 with Rustoleum applied with a roller. After the polishing was done, the thing looked great. I still see it (sold it in 2007) and the paint still looks great.

Edit:

-Justin
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #46
SloS13

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
Unless all the cars receive the same prep for the final wax/sealer, the results wouldn't really be a fair product comparison. Wax is like Paint. With Paint, the results you get are entirely dependent on the bodywork that was done beforehand. With Wax, the results depend entirely on the polishing that was done in preparation for the final step - wax.
That's what I meant. In other news, it looks like we've owned the same cars.
SloS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SloS13 For This Useful Post:
Justin.b (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS13 View Post
That's what I meant. In other news, it looks like we've owned the same cars.
You have excellent taste.

-Justin
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #48
staycrushing

Drives: A Hot Mess
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
www.internationalaeroproducts.com

amazing stuff but there is a downside... the price. its really pricey... however it is the only stuff i use and my car looks amazing when detailed.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #49
6-Shift
Señor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've always been a big turtle wax fan....especially when used after a swirl remover and polish. I honestly cannot see a reason to spend $60 on wax. Only issue I have with turtle wax is that it's a BITCH to get off...although a little quick detailer makes things 8,000x easier.
Whoever said that preparation matters more than finish is completely correct. If you're going to wax your car, at least do a full clay bar treatment. If you have an small orbital buffer, Meguiar's swirl remover (in a beige bottle, usually with other paint correction stuff) is great because it takes out super small scratches that otherwise make the paint look slightly worse. Follow it up with show car polish and wax and your car will look awesome for a long time
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #50
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staycrushing View Post
www.internationalaeroproducts.com

amazing stuff but there is a downside... the price. its really pricey... however it is the only stuff i use and my car looks amazing when detailed.
Do people actually wax their jets?

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #51
Dang Lad

Drives: Asphalt MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
There are going to be a ton of answers on this, but my personal preference after trying quite a few products over the years is Blakckfire Wet Diamond.

Edit: For the record, I've had terrible experiences with both the old and new versions of Meguiars' NXT wax. On a humid day, I'd have to wait hours fr it to cure and even then it was a nightmare to remove compared to the blackfire.
Another one for Blackfire Wet Diamond if you're going for a good investment and solid product. I used a DA polisher to apply, and while the initial appearance wasn't absolutely stunning - it has held it's sheen and depth for at least 5 weeks through as many washes.

NXT has worked pretty well for me as a quick wax job. BF you have to do a 2x2 patch apply and then remove, but NXT you can go over whole vehicle, let it dry, then remove. As Justin mentioned, NXT does seem to be more finicky with the weather - for me it was heat. If it was above 90 or so (which being in Austin TX, it is for the whole summer) it just doesn't take to the finish as well.
Dang Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #52
Roundabout
50ish Junior Member

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2011 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
HAHAHAHAHASome good stuff you can order is Wolfganag and pinacle from autogeek.net or if you head down to autozone there are a few good things you can pick up. I have the mothers carnuba paste and Zymol cleaner wax. I just picked up the Zymol today because it says that it does everything and contains carnuba. In reality though IT DOES. I bought it to remove bird S**T stains under my paint and it did it. It also removes light swirl marks and it waxes. I love this stuff i highly recommend.
I used to use Zymol until I read somewhere that it is fairly abrasive. At that time I was a Corvette owner and , after considerable research, I learned that Zaino was quite popular among the Corvette crowd. I bought the Zaino starter kit, about 8 years ago, used it on my solid black C6 and haven't used any other wax/ polish product since. While it is easy and quick to apply, what I found most interesting is that the more you use it, it actually seems to improve the car's finish over time and makes the paint feel very soft if that makes any sense. I guess the best way to describe its results is that it makes the paint appear "healthy". Just my two cents.
Roundabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #53
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
If the weather is nice, I'm going to Zaino my fr-s for the first time today! Been using the stuff for over 10 years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #54
Stealthx

Drives: 370z,Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Best bang for buck, optimum spray wax. I've had $100-$200+ jars of wax before for my detailing business. They work but for cost effectiveness it was on,y used on exotics and show prep for cars.
Stealthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #55
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
I used to use Zymol until I read somewhere that it is fairly abrasive. At that time I was a Corvette owner and , after considerable research, I learned that Zaino was quite popular among the Corvette crowd. I bought the Zaino starter kit, about 8 years ago, used it on my solid black C6 and haven't used any other wax/ polish product since. While it is easy and quick to apply, what I found most interesting is that the more you use it, it actually seems to improve the car's finish over time and makes the paint feel very soft if that makes any sense. I guess the best way to describe its results is that it makes the paint appear "healthy". Just my two cents.
It contains a little bit of polish and filler. Makes for a very easy all in one.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #56
j3oomerang

Drives: BRZ Limited
Zaino
j3oomerang is offline   Reply With Quote