follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
Cojonudo
I'm New

Drives: 2016 Limited Subaru BRZ White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Changing Exhaust Need Some Advice

Hey guys, I’m changing my exhaust for a couple of reasons I don’t like the tone and rasp my Magnaflow catback is giving me after I got my Gruppe-s catless UEL headers installed. So, I’m planning on getting an Invidia N1 and I’ll also be getting an Invidia Catted Frontpipe. I would like to get an overpipe but I am having trouble deciding what the difference is or what would be better for my setup. Currently looking at the Invidia, JDL, and Gruppe-S Overpipe. If anyone could shed some light on pros and cons that would be great! Thank you!

Last edited by Cojonudo; 07-03-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Cojonudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you're going from a stock front pipe + Magnaflow catback to a catted high flow front pipe + Invidia N1 I believe your rasp is going to get worse.

For an NA setup overpipe and catted high flow front pipe does minimal for gains except make your car louder.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Overpipe won't make much noticeable noise difference after all parts have been changed. But in my opinion it does make sense to get one if you're getting the front pipe, because A)stock is smaller and isn't as smooth, B)why not change it while you're there changing the front pipe - do it all once not twice C)lighter.
I have the PLM.

Be careful in install though, if not installed high enough, it will rub and make noise when accelerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
If you're going from a stock front pipe + Magnaflow catback to a catted high flow front pipe + Invidia N1 I believe your rasp is going to get worse.

For an NA setup overpipe and catted high flow front pipe does minimal for gains except make your car louder.
first point - def true

2nd point - Overpipe and HFC Front Pipe minimal gains? Might seem minimal if your goal is 10WHP n/a, because you'll probably get closer to 5 or likely less WHP. But the gain is not 0 if it's less restrictive.
The big gain in my opinion is the combined 5WHP from an OP and FP and the combined 6.7lbs weight loss from those 2 parts which pushes the overall weight loss from the entire exhaust to 20+ lbs loss.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you don't like the sound/rasp, keep your stock OP/FP, keep your header, and get a quieter muffler than the N1.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I don’t think your intended choices are going to make you very happy, because the Invidia N1 with open headers and a catted non-resonated front pipe is crazy loud. Your choice of overpipe is immaterial because all of the overpipes perform similarly. Invidia and Gruppe-S both make nice ones that should ‘match’ your system quite well, but if you’re dead set on using an Invidia exhaust I’d suggest you look at the Q300 - especially if you’re going to go with the other components you’ve listed.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage

This is what I’m basing my setup on. Sounds good in my opinion. Even a catted frontpipe won’t tone down the rasp? Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojonudo View Post

This is what I’m basing my setup on. Sounds good in my opinion. Even a catted frontpipe won’t tone down the rasp? Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You do know the stock front pipe is catted with a resonator right? By running one less resonator it's almost inevitable you're going to encounter more rasp.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage
Quote:
You do know the stock front pipe is catted with a resonator right? By running one less resonator it's almost inevitable you're going to encounter more rasp.
Sorry, I forgot to mention I sold my OEM frontpipe and put a high flow catless one in when I had no headers on. Now that I have the catless headers the rasp is ridiculous. Thanks for your advice I can see what you’re saying.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

THIS
Invidia N1 will be much worse

I have Gruppe-S UEL and overpipe (not sure why yours headers didn't come with the overpipe?)
Invidia Catted FP
HKS Legamax Premium catback

It sounds great no drone, only opens up when you put your foot into it and im a 37 year old who doesn't like loud ricy exhausts.

Also do you have a Tune??
An OFT with the v4.03 tune helped immensely with low end noises.

In general any of the Cannon N1 style exhausts are going to be louder than the suitcase style mufflers (stock style). Unless the cannon mufflers have an Helmholtz resonator somewhere in there.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
N1s sound like hammered shit, especially catless. if you want to stick with invidia I suggest the R400 or q300 depending on how much volume you want.
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
Cojonudo
I'm New

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
THIS
Invidia N1 will be much worse

I have Gruppe-S UEL and overpipe (not sure why yours headers didn't come with the overpipe?)
Invidia Catted FP
HKS Legamax Premium catback

It sounds great no drone, only opens up when you put your foot into it and im a 37 year old who doesn't like loud ricy exhausts.

Also do you have a Tune??
An OFT with the v4.03 tune helped immensely with low end noises.

In general any of the Cannon N1 style exhausts are going to be louder than the suitcase style mufflers (stock style). Unless the cannon mufflers have an Helmholtz resonator somewhere in there.
Yes, I do have a tune. Stage 2 UEL 93 Octane.