follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pioneer AVIC-X950BH?

Had anyone hear anything about this new Pionner AVIC-X950BH unit yet? When is the release, and how hard is it install to the FRS?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
mbh1101

Drives: Raven 6mt FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I saw something about pioneer releasing some new products in early spring. It could be around then. I just installed the avh-x5500bhs, first radio install ive ever done and it was incredibly easy, and im pretty sure that all the pioneer wireharnesses are the same.
mbh1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh1101 View Post
I saw something about pioneer releasing some new products in early spring. It could be around then. I just installed the avh-x5500bhs, first radio install ive ever done and it was incredibly easy, and im pretty sure that all the pioneer wireharnesses are the same.
Do you have instruction for installation? Also, if I bought the unit, can I bring it to Cartoys or BestBuy have those people install for me??? I am so curious.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
xitaliapunk

Drives: '13 BRZ, WR Blue, '06 Acura RSX VBP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I know Best Buy will install it even if it's bought elsewhere.
xitaliapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_noel View Post
Do you have instruction for installation? Also, if I bought the unit, can I bring it to Cartoys or BestBuy have those people install for me??? I am so curious.
I'd suggest a local stereo shop over bestbuy. Their work is terrible as Burger King cooking you a rack of ribs.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
I'd suggest a local stereo shop over bestbuy. Their work is terrible as Burger King cooking you a rack of ribs.
That's a rash generalization. All Best Buy installers aren't idiots, some are MECP Certified, represent their respective patch well, and actually know what they're doing. Once again, it is not a reflection of the brand but a reflection of the installer. Sure there are horror stories out there, but what installer can honestly say that nothing has ever gone wrong during the course of an install? Probably none. I used to be an installer at Circuit City for a few years, prior to their closing, and I also was an lead installer at Best Buy. I still keep my Master level MECP and ASE A6 certifications current. To add to that, I have a few degrees in computer science, software engineering and electrical engineering. Even though I am beyond retail and commercial level installs now, I had many of the degrees and certifications while I was an installer at Best Buy and would often run across the same generalizations as the one you made so I take exception to it. I have completed over 1000 remote starts in 4 years with Best Buy, countless in-dash radios, amplifiers, etc. I worked on high end Ferraris, Bentleys, boats, commercial vehicles, motors homes, Winnebagos, you name it and I worked on it and I had 0 damage claims. There were some installers, that I worked with, that I wouldn't let change a tail light in my vehicle, and there were some that I would trust to do anything because I was familiar with the level of work they completed. The same is true for any place of business and I can't stress enough the importance of dialog with installers.

To the OP, as with all things, I would feel the place out and ask a ton of questions prior to letting anyone touch my vehicle. This goes for a big box retailer like Best Buy and local shops. A benefit of most shops, is that they have insurance so if they FUBAR it, they pay to fix it but 99.9% of the time, your install will go off without a hitch.

Quote:
Had anyone hear anything about this new Pionner AVIC-X950BH unit yet? When is the release, and how hard is it install to the FRS?
As with anything I suggest you check it out in person, i'm sure a local electronics retailer will have them on display when they come out. I would also read up on the differences between the X940 and X950, they may be minimal. If you want to learn how to do things yourself, there are some DIY's on installing aftermarket radios that you can look over now in preparation for when you get your head unit. If it looks like foreign language after a few reads and a few questions, i'll be happy to guide you along.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-21-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Really nice unit, are you just adding the headunit or changing out the system?

I was hoping for them to continue the Appradio line, I really liked the appradio 2 but it was too laggy.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post

I was hoping for them to continue the Appradio line, I really liked the appradio 2 but it was too laggy.
I like the Appradio but like you said it's too laggy. Pioneer really screwed the pooch with the 1st Appradio, they were horrible. They did better with the Appradio 2 but shortly after they were released, Pioneer halted sales and issued a recall to do an update. It was a good idea poorly implemented.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabocx View Post

I want to know how this unit works on performance and functionally...I heard good things about the Z140 alot from differnt forum. Since the Z150 just came out, seem lots updates here and there. Just asking if anyone had the Z150 installed yet or not.

But the price on 950BH is cheaper...would probably go for the 950Bh if I can.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I want to know how this unit works on performance and functionally...I heard good things about the Z140 alot from differnt forum. Since the Z150 just came out, seem lots updates here and there. Just asking if anyone had the Z150 installed yet or not.

But the price on 950BH is cheaper...would probably go for the 950Bh if I can.
Pioneer top of the Line:
2012 model Z140 @~$600. I like this deal
2013 model Z150 @~ $980. Will see price drop a little.
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
...and how hard is it install to the FRS?
Might come in handy but i'll follow-up with you
Attached Images
File Type: pdf scn081.pdf (331.7 KB, 405 views)
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the X5500BHS and added the U250 for nav. Its a better deal IMO than the Z140. The Z140 I think sucks for what it is. The Z150 still isnt out so cant say on that. So I say get one of the dvd players and add the nav unit.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
That's a rash generalization. All Best Buy installers aren't idiots, some are MECP Certified, represent their respective patch well, and actually know what they're doing. Once again, it is not a reflection of the brand but a reflection of the installer. Sure there are horror stories out there, but what installer can honestly say that nothing has ever gone wrong during the course of an install? Probably none. I used to be an installer at Circuit City for a few years, prior to their closing, and I also was an lead installer at Best Buy. I still keep my Master level MECP and ASE A6 certifications current. To add to that, I have a few degrees in computer science, software engineering and electrical engineering. Even though I am beyond retail and commercial level installs now, I had many of the degrees and certifications while I was an installer at Best Buy and would often run across the same generalizations as the one you made so I take exception to it. I have completed over 1000 remote starts in 4 years with Best Buy, countless in-dash radios, amplifiers, etc. I worked on high end Ferraris, Bentleys, boats, commercial vehicles, motors homes, Winnebagos, you name it and I worked on it and I had 0 damage claims. There were some installers, that I worked with, that I wouldn't let change a tail light in my vehicle, and there were some that I would trust to do anything because I was familiar with the level of work they completed. The same is true for any place of business and I can't stress enough the importance of dialog with installers.

To the OP, as with all things, I would feel the place out and ask a ton of questions prior to letting anyone touch my vehicle. This goes for a big box retailer like Best Buy and local shops. A benefit of most shops, is that they have insurance so if they FUBAR it, they pay to fix it but 99.9% of the time, your install will go off without a hitch.
i used to work at a best buy as well and it was basically the same. We had 2 guys there that were absolutely amazing and never had any issues. Then they took this idiot sales person and made him an installer and he actually did a simple deck install on my old car and it took him 3 hours and ended up disconnecting all my lights. The other guy was like we don't touch the lights... then he looked at it and was like holy shit he's retarded. This guy then went on to puncture an airbag on an Audi while hardwiring a power cable for a portable gps... kinda hit or miss on who you end up with but there are sometimes some really good installers there.
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
anyways the x950 does look pretty nice. i used to have a z120 with the old mapping software and it was pretty good. they use navteq now and support the iphone 5, although kinda ghetto rigged and they seem pretty quick. i'd say go for it. Either that or a kenwood dnx6990hd. Specifically that one as it has the excelon audio enhancement feature.
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote