follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #29
Brndn704

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishand View Post
those are cheap, and kind of a downgrade. fwd 1.6l? i'd keep the frs. I also agree on the lease.

no thanks mate. cheap toys :p i'd keep my frs. s2000 is way too impractical. im looking for an upgrade
lol, what? A good condition newer model S2K is worth more than a used FR-S. Impractical? It's basically the same as the FR-S minus the convertible and 2 inches of backseat. But hey, do you man.
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #30
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Used Porsche Cayman S.

It needs to be the S.

You could pick one up for under $30k and have an absolutely killer car.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #31
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Used Porsche Cayman S.

It needs to be the S.

You could pick one up for under $30k and have an absolutely killer car.
A college student? Albeit with a nice available monthly budget for a car, A German P car may not be a great idea.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #32
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
At least go and test drive the Focus and Fiesta ST. Sad that people wont give them a try.
I have driven a focus ST, it was quick but I fought the torque steer. The main problem I had with this car was I couldn't feel the speed, or the road for that matter.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #33
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
From your posts, it doesn't seem like you're ready to give up your FR-S just yet.

If you can look past the 2-seater, the S2000 is a great option. (I know it's been said before) I mean - how much do you really use the rear seats in your FR-S, right?

It might also be worth noting that the new Civic TypeR might be coming to North America.
*Never mind this lol

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #34
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
A boat
Old 03-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #35
shishand

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoggy57 View Post
The RC350 is the most expensive lease of most of these cars mentioned just because it's so new and there arent really any discounts off of the MSRP.

Im in love with the RC350 and IS350 F sport so i read about them every day lol. Depending on where you live you might be able to negotiate an IS350 F Sport for a little under 500/month, but its not easy.

Were about the same age (im 22) so we want something similar. Ive been in contact with some dealers around me and some cars you should look into are the Cadillac ATS and the Infiniti Q50. The lease rates on just about everything else that interests us are pretty high.

Im interested in buying a house as well, so I may be sacrificing and keeping the FRS. I think about it every day though, only about 2 months left to decide.
go with the house mate, thats the most logical thing!
The RC350 has a lease offer of 450$ a month, 36 months, 3k down, on their website. i think its doable, but regardless i gotta test drive it soon and see how it handles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
I wish I had a $500 month car budget in College. Lucky SOB. That being said, my friend bought a IS350 FSport a couple months ago. Its nice. Its almost as quick as my 3.8 and almost as nice to drive. To be honest, for $50K its a bit of a disappointment. Id go with a 370Z if I were you or a 3.8 Genesis.
Been saving up for years & i heard terrible things about the transmission of the genesis, have u have any bad experiences with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brndn704 View Post
lol, what? A good condition newer model S2K is worth more than a used FR-S. Impractical? It's basically the same as the FR-S minus the convertible and 2 inches of backseat. But hey, do you man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
From your posts, it doesn't seem like you're ready to give up your FR-S just yet.

If you can look past the 2-seater, the S2000 is a great option. (I know it's been said before) I mean - how much do you really use the rear seats in your FR-S, right?

It might also be worth noting that the new Civic TypeR might be coming to North America.
*Never mind this lol
I guess ill give it a try, but it still seems weird. Besides if i had the money for something like an EVO, why would i get another FR-S again? (s2k is very much like the frs..)
And those used cars, im sure they've been abused greatly. But then again its honda. Anyhow, there is something unsettling about it,but ill put it on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
A boat
i actually laughed lol
shishand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shishand For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #36
shishand

I think the runner ups are (ranked in order of most wanting):
For lease: M235, Lancer evo, Caddy ATS tied with RC 350, maybe a genesis at last
For buying(or finance): Lancer evo (used or finance), my own FR-S, G37s, 350z/370z, s2k, Gen coup (used), M235 (if under 40k)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #37
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
you're saying that the m235i might be too heavy and the mustangs handling not on par with the FRS, I'm pretty sure the RC350 is heavier and worse at handling than both of those. It's pushing 3900lb with a old 6 they've been using for the last 10 years, don't get me wrong I love lexus but that engine and the weight isn't doing it right now for a sports car

I would look into the m235i, its not as heavy as you think and can get great power out of that engine with simple bolt ons, and bmws lease rates are always pretty good
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #38
gzpermadi

Drives: Toyota 86 Silver
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
WRX. That's my next car once my warranty is done in next 2 years.
Fast, practical, reliable, and affordable (in it's class).
gzpermadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #39
Brndn704

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishand View Post
I guess ill give it a try, but it still seems weird. Besides if i had the money for something like an EVO, why would i get another FR-S again? (s2k is very much like the frs..)
And those used cars, im sure they've been abused greatly. But then again its honda. Anyhow, there is something unsettling about it,but ill put it on my list.
Just check your auto trader. Around me there is a 2000 model S2K with only 16k miles on it, one owner. That's basically brand new. They are out there, just gotta know what to look for.
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #40
shishand

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
you're saying that the m235i might be too heavy and the mustangs handling not on par with the FRS, I'm pretty sure the RC350 is heavier and worse at handling than both of those. It's pushing 3900lb with a old 6 they've been using for the last 10 years, don't get me wrong I love lexus but that engine and the weight isn't doing it right now for a sports car

I would look into the m235i, its not as heavy as you think and can get great power out of that engine with simple bolt ons, and bmws lease rates are always pretty good
Oh i agree, the m235 is perfect, and i dont think its heavy or clunky, just compared to the frs its heavier. but anything compared to the frs is heavy haha, i'd get that car in a heart beat. its barely carried in dealerships, so i doubt i can get a deal, but i did went ahead and emailed a few places. gonna wait and see.
Im not too sure about the handling of the RC350, ill report back when i test drive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
WRX. That's my next car once my warranty is done in next 2 years.
Fast, practical, reliable, and affordable (in it's class).
sti? & i wish they continued making the hatch
Old 03-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #41
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Every time these type of threads are started they all just become the same thing: Every person explaining their own personal taste in cars and why you should agree with them.

My best advice is to test drive EVERYTHING. I've test driven so many cars just because I was curious. You will know what you want more than anyone else.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
86SPEED (03-04-2015), JohnJuan (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #42
BRZerk
Some guy in a white car

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I'd concur that both Fiesta and Focus STs would be a downgrade in both performance, and especially looks from your twin.

Your dilemma kind of points out what makes the '86 platform so special. There simply aren't any lightweight, RWD, agile, driver focused 2+2 sports cars with good MPG on the market. Closest thing is a Lotus Evora. Outside of that car, there hasn't been anything like the '86 for a long time.

• 370z, Gencoupe, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all heavy muscle car GTs.
  • Miata, S2K, Cayman are all 2 seaters that aren't practical as DDs.
  • Fiesta, Golf, Focus, Abarth, are FWD hot hatches that can be quick/fun, but look dowdy compared to a low slung coupe and you're not going to find one in RWD.

IMO your best bet would be to buy your '86 when the lease ends and then mod it to be more luxurious (upgrade the interior (leather, suede, etc) add sound deadening, upgrade the stereo), or faster (add F.I.) or maybe even both. If you find that you prefer a muscle car, roadster or hot hatch, then the '86 was probably never the right car for you to begin with.
the new mustang ecoboost isnt bad. id drive that car