follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #99
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice numbers and agree with all you have said, including the probability of the 220 hp lighter version over the 250 hp version. But, that 250 hp version really gets you thinkin right? Look at the company it sits in up there at the top. I'd take that 220 hp version for sure though. I think as I posted earlier it would be quite a car already considering how great the chassis is on the regular BRZ.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #100
brewksy

Drives: 2011 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Nice numbers and agree with all you have said, including the probability of the 220 hp lighter version over the 250 hp version. But, that 250 hp version really gets you thinkin right? Look at the company it sits in up there at the top. I'd take that 220 hp version for sure though. I think as I posted earlier it would be quite a car already considering how great the chassis is on the regular BRZ.
Yeah, I think the underlying issue that the table shows isn't necessarily how companies price vehicles based on power/weight ratios, rather its a good metric for what companies can accomplish given a specific price point. If a company could develop a warranty-able(?) engine and chassis combination that beat the Porsche Cayman at a fraction of the cost... wouldn't they? There is a pretty good correlation in the table that suggests as power/weight ratios increase, so do the costs of development, testing, etc. The aftermarket will always beat the factory option because they don't need to as exhaustive testing as the manufacturer.

Sure - 250hp sounds awesome. But if you're smart you'll lay money down with AVO, Perrin, etc. Instead of waiting for the factory to compete. For me, I'm not a dedicated gearhead, so I'll end up paying for the more expensive factory option so my warranty is intact. I also do my oil changes at the dealership where I bought the car (stupid, I know, but it's the price of convenience) - and I'm precisely the demographic they're going to sell the BRZ STI to.
brewksy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brewksy For This Useful Post:
jonnyozero3 (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #101
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Now this is worth looking into. The WRX/STI have never come with branded exhausts (HERE anyway)...but I'd imagine that the JDM WRX tS might have, since it was just a parts catalog car.
What do you mean branded exhaust? All the GD USDM STI's had STI stamped on the side of the exhaust tip and were different header back from the WRX and other imprezas. as well.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #102
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
What do you mean branded exhaust? All the GD USDM STI's had STI stamped on the side of the exhaust tip and were different header back from the WRX and other imprezas. as well.
The tS cars are parts catalog cars. They always come with something like the STI Genome exhaust (there's all of....maybe 10 state side?); while we don't have a Genome exhaust for this car, there IS an STI dual outlet axleback in the JDM parts catalog.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #103
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
So far from the "looks" of it, it looks just like the regular brz with sti parts. However if they are testing the car in the track can only mean that the car has some major internal (possibly engine or suspension) difference. If not, why would they test the car in the track, it doesnt make sense. Obviously the sti parts were already tested since its in a production.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #104
R2RO

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2013 FR-S(2JZ Build)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Not digging the rear wing
R2RO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #105
dunphyjp

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
Agreed. The springs drop it 15mm. If it's anything else, maybe Bilsteins?
i'm gonna have to disagree... the car's extremely low as is, and i'd guess that they'd most likely do bigger wheels like 18s... and it was stated earlier in the thread that the side skirts and front lip are lower than standard so that could give the illusion of a lower car...

also this is one of those cars that you REALLY don't want to lower too much. with the way the rear suspension geometry is you'd actually deteriorate the handling if you lower it too much.
dunphyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #106
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunphyjp View Post
i'm gonna have to disagree... the car's extremely low as is, and i'd guess that they'd most likely do bigger wheels like 18s... and it was stated earlier in the thread that the side skirts and front lip are lower than standard so that could give the illusion of a lower car...

also this is one of those cars that you REALLY don't want to lower too much. with the way the rear suspension geometry is you'd actually deteriorate the handling if you lower it too much.
It's not an illusion. The drop - in plain sight - is clearly lower than 15mm. The 18" wheels have smaller sidewall tire profiles which maintain the same overall diameter as stock wheels/tires within 2%. This is coming from someone who scrutinizes his 15mm drop in comparison to the drop pictured in the STI concepts. The 1st BRZ pictured immediately below has been confirmed to be on STI-tuned Bilstein prototype dampers:

Unflattering shot of my car revealing monster truck ride height on 15mm drop STI pinks and 17" STI wheels maintaining the same overall wheel/tire diameter (within 2%) as the 18" STI wheels/tires:

BRZ Nurburgring test car on prototype suspension:

Chief engineer Tetsuya Tada has confirmed with me that the stock suspension geometry works ideally at a ride height of 20mm (+/-5mm) lower than stock. The STI prototype suspensions pictured above and below my car definitely look lower than 15mm; they're very likely 20-25mm lower than stock. They are track-tuning this BRZ's suspension and aero on the Nurburgring.

Last edited by switchlanez; 11-05-2012 at 02:14 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
clzzical (11-05-2012), jimbobrand (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #107
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #108
jimbobrand

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Agreed 100% with @switchlanez. They are track testing the new suspension (with the other STI catalog bits) and tuning the aero (notice the added risers for the spoiler).
TXIC San Antonio
jimbobrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #109
sillyboybmxer

Drives: s2000
this makes me happy
sillyboybmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #110
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd (almost) be willing to bet that STI enter a brz in next year's Nurburgring VLN 24hr race.

They have enjoyed some success with the wrx entry and it would be good to see a gt86 battle
ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #111
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I like, but I dislike the wing still. Too Fast and furious looking for me =/, the movie pretty much killed those wings on street cars for me

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #112
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'm quite interested.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, brz sti, brz sti forum, brz sti forums, brz sti news, brz sti photos, brz sti pics, brz sti rumors, brz sti specs, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz sti, subaru brz sti forum, subaru brz sti forums, subaru brz sti news, subaru brz sti photos, subaru brz sti pics, subaru brz sti rumors, subaru brz sti specs