follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Ew no.

The 1 series is totally pointless and a Lexus 1-series would be even more....

pointless...

er.

Ummm, original Altezza/IS? We all know the next IS is going to get fatter, so... smaller, lighter, cheaper = win?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Ummm, original Altezza/IS? We all know the next IS is going to get fatter, so... smaller, lighter, cheaper = win?

Ew no. lol

Here's to hoping it's not. I don't believe in this bullshit about making cars bigger and slotting another one under it to make up. The 2IS is scarcely larger than the 1IS, what they need to work on is keeping the weight in check.

BMW's lineup is far to complicated, and it's been their own fault, making the cars fatter and adding a shitload of SUVs. I'd rather Toyota/Lexus not go down that line. Plus they already have the CT, which is nowhere near sporting, but already smaller than the IS so slotting in something else (another 4 door) there, which will effectively be the same segment just adds to the confusion.

The thought behind the idea is good... it's just imo, a bad idea. Fix the problem at the source is what I say. Don't make the next IS bigger/fatter. Problem solved.

I'd rather have a Z4/SLK type car anyway.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #17
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
To me the idea of the 1 Series was great. Smaller, lighter, cheaper. But somehow the reality is it's not significantly any of those compared to a 3 Series.

The whole bigger, fatter, then new small model bugs me too. Chalk it up to a marketing arms race. 'We have more interior room than brand X', so brand X makes theirs bigger too, then in a brilliant one-upmanship move, makes it safer (heavier) too. Repeat.

The Civic is like around 700-1000 lbs heavier now than it was in the 90's. Maybe pretty close to what an Accord was back then...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think this a great idea but the FT-86 platform (at least the advertised dimensions of the concept) is way too small. My current car is an Accent, which is tiny, and the FT-86 is smaller in every way except width (it's seriously small). It could force Toyota to reduce the size of the IS and no automaker likes releasing less interior space than they had last year.
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote