follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelpapa View Post
Wow, this Open Flash Seems pretty cool! I'm tempted to order now, but 3 months?! You are right I do want it sooner, I forgot to mention that my FRS came stock with the TRD exhaust, but I'm assuming the OpenFlash has maps for it. What would be a good header I could order alongside the OpenFlash to get it in my FRS sooner?
Also I want to thank you all for all the Help!
The OFT tunes better optimize for most parts. There will not be a spacific tune for TRD exhaust. But the stage 1 tune will help the ecu to adapt and make the most of it. Stage 1 is for basic intake filter, exhaust mods. Stage 2 is if you have swapped out your header + all the other mods that stage 1 covers, they come in equal length, and unequal length, there are different tunes to cover you either way you go. The OFH is an Unequal lenght header (UEL), so that's they dyno I posted above. The factory header has a built in precat or catalitic converter. You can buy headers with or without the cat. The OFH does not have a cat. If you buy a header without a cat, and do not get a proper tune, you will probably throw a check engine light. There are alot of headers, depending on your price range, and quality desired. I think the cheapest is the Borla, but not sure. I decided to wait, and hopefully will get my OFH in 1 more week.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
apelpapa

Drives: 2013 SPD Black FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
The OFT tunes better optimize for most parts. There will not be a spacific tune for TRD exhaust. But the stage 1 tune will help the ecu to adapt and make the most of it. Stage 1 is for basic intake filter, exhaust mods. Stage 2 is if you have swapped out your header, they come in equal length, and unequal length, there are different tunes to cover you either way you go. The OFH is an Unequal lenght header (UEL), so that's they dyno I posted above. The factory header has a built in precat or catalitic converter. You can buy headers with or without the cat. The OFH does not have a cat. If you buy a header without a cat, and do not get a proper tune, you will probably throw a check engine light. There are alot of headers, depending on your price range, and quality desired. I think the cheapest is the Borla, but not sure. I decided to wait, and hopefully will get my OFH in 1 more week.
Ok! I think I might order the Tablet for now and wait a little on the header. Thanks again for all the help!
apelpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
irxproductions

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 Speed Triple
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Car and Driver recently wrote an excellent blog post about improving the FRS/BRZ without ruining it. I recommend picking a few options from their grocery list: http://blog.caranddriver.com/tuning-...an-30k-all-in/
irxproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #18
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ok! I think I might order the Tablet for now and wait a little on the header. Thanks again for all the help!
There are a lot of good headers. FT-86 SpeedFactory has a bunch of decent choices. The OFT tunes are based around their header, which is an unequal-length catless header.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irxproductions View Post
Car and Driver recently wrote an excellent blog post about improving the FRS/BRZ without ruining it. I recommend picking a few options from their grocery list: http://blog.caranddriver.com/tuning-...an-30k-all-in/
That list is less than great. The Injen intake is a $287 waste of money. You don't need a $1100 header. A Tomei header and OFT is $1200, vs. $1900 for their suggested header and tune. A $255 short shifter could be replaced by $100 worth of drivetrain bushings. And a cat-back adds no power at all, just noise.

You could do a lot more power and suspension mods for what they're spending and end up with a much better vehicle.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
brznoob (10-20-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #19
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Power, the handling is good enough for where i'm driving right now. Doubt I'll get to break my neck for a G, but that's the goal!
Do you plan on staying Naturally Aspirated? Do you want the relief of having to go to a tuner? OpenFlash tablet might be a good option for you then. I would definitely read up on some of the already established threads, read through the first few pages and get familiar with what you can expect. Ecutek is also great, but objectively I feel it for the more involved tuner who needs/wants every detail, especially if you are running FI, which is understandable and if I went FI then I too would switch to Ecutek.

With the tablet you can use the low-key provided maps available through their website. They are modest but they do enable power, especially if you run E85. Its a nice piece that gets the job done if you want to keep things simple with regards to tuning.
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #20
NayKu

Drives: Balance
Quote:
I'll admit right away, I love to drive cars, but I know nearly nothing when it comes to performance upgrades. This summer I have been saving money up to get a turbo kit, good one from my research about 5k. Some stuff came up and all I have left to play with is around 1k. I was just wondering what I could do for the best bang per buck with my price range. I am pretty handy, so if given instructions I could install some things my self (Can't tune to save my life though). I was considering the Nitrous Express 15lb kit, seems simple enough to install, but that is my last resort. Just wondering what you guys around this forum think I could do for around 1k to give my car some more power (Or a lot more if possible )....

Also please forgive me if I posted in the wrong place, let me know where to put this and I'll put it there instead! Thank you in advance!
Just from my point of view...

Turbo; the only thing I see wrong with this - is the motor already runs so high that the fear of blowing your engine is there. Probably with proper tuning this could be avoided, but doesn't this take away from the true purpose of the GT86? To hit corners at high speeds with ease? I mean, yeah, a little more power would be great but I believe a turbo takes away from the car. Eventually, when I get bored I'll purchase one and see how I like it. Seems like a lot of work.

Bolt-ons; this is seriously all you really have in terms of WHP gains. These are typically headers, exhausts, intakes and so on. Literally anything you can take off your car, and just bolt right on.

TL;DR; You could tune it, possibly get it cammed, add an intake, and catback exhaust or headers all for under $1000, but I would definitely go for high quality over cheap and inexpensive.

Remember, this is your car and the more you invest in it, the better you'll feel.

OR you could just paint as many things red as you possibly can, and add 10WHP per square inch of red.
NayKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
gramicci101
Off Topic

Not paint, plastidip.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #22
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I swear for every thread on here or on all of the retard Facebook groups for our cars, this question has been asked more times than the @FullBlown car has horsepower.
CaptainSlow (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Power: OFT tune/header
Handling: Good tires, performance driving course
Old 07-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #24
DeadStar7
Retired formula car racer

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual
What is E85?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
E85 is an ethanol based fuel...85% ethanol. In the US it's made using corn. Can't run it without a tune because the fuel consumption is much higher than with normal gasoline, but with it you can make a decent amount more power...it's about equivalent to 105 octane. I think on an NA car it allows for more aggressive timing; boosted guys love it because you can run higher boost with less chance of pre-detonation. It also helps keep cylinder temps down.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
VuDism
NASIOC: AzNSTiImpreza

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
a motec systems exhaust and a spoon engine...

not a bad way to spend 1 thousand dollars. . .
VuDism is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VuDism For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (07-29-2014), Synack (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VuDism View Post
a motec systems exhaust and a spoon engine...

not a bad way to spend 1 thousand dollars. . .
I love the part where Tran was like "a couple SR-20's will pull a premium before race wars huh".

I'm sitting over here like, how does a RWD built motor work at all in those FWD Civics?
VuDism (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #28
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
I love the part where Tran was like "a couple SR-20's will pull a premium before race wars huh".

I'm sitting over here like, how does a RWD built motor work at all in those FWD Civics?
You have to transverse mount it so it'll mate up with an RSX transmission. It takes some custom fabricated engine mounts and lengthening of the engine harness and just kidding I have no idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
JB86'd (07-29-2014)