follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #29
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Does this mean we'll start getting cars in rose gold and then they'll charge a much higher premium? Haha

Nah... only Steve Jobs could do this. Take a simple and plain color and make it premium
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Zaku (08-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #30
Yal
#subaruambassador

Drives: Wheezy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
Where is the pink so Subaru can win over potential Miata customers?
We'll see what my Pure Red looks like in a couple years...
Old 08-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #31
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
CWP is much better in BRZ, than the older SWP. It really stands out in the 2017 BRZ Colors list. Many years ago, white was just the cheapest option or for rental cars. Do you know who changed this? Apple !
Maybe in your neck of the woods where everybody was nostalgic for Braun appliances but here I'm pretty sure it was the Honda Type-Rs.

But yes only Steve Jobs could take out of date tech and literally turn it into gold with a premium.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (08-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #32
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sheesh! I have never seen a thread of responses so swift and deadly. You know, of course that the whole raft of advice adds up to no advice at all, but somebody might just just tickle your color bone with a new thought. My two cents:

Subaru loves to tinker just slightly with their colors from year to year, such that a color that looks the same is probably not. The only way to say it's the same is if it has the same three-digit color code. My 2014 (see left) is "sterling silver metallic," which is a shimmering glossy aluminum. We bought a 2016 Legacy this summer and wanted the same color, so we chose "ice silver metallic" which looked the same. No way. ISM has a substantial amount of blue in it when you see them side by side in the garage. It's very beautiful, so we don't care. Check your color codes.

My only real advice (other than a pure candy apple red!) is to choose a color with a good bit of "pearl" or "metallic" flakes in it. These finishes are mesmerizing in changing light, like a shimmering dream. They pick up color cues from their surroundings, especially at dusk. The "colorless" ones (white, gray) do this the most, but the deeper colors can be like rainbows. The thick layer of clear coat on top gives them a striking 3D effect like looking through water.

Okay, I'll shut up and go take my medicine. Just remember, the one you pick is your color, and by definition, it's the most beautiful.

Last edited by pfaffendorn; 08-13-2016 at 01:28 PM.
pfaffendorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pfaffendorn For This Useful Post:
imprezza (09-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #33
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
Where is the pink so Subaru can win over potential Miata customers?
Now, be nice, Norville!

I had a Protege ES that was red, red, red -- a white undercoat, clear candy red colorcoat, and clearcoat. In the sun it could put your eyes out. In the south, the quip was, "If you'd spent a little more, you could have got a red one."

My friend used to say, "I thought I saw your 'pink' car the other day." I always thought he was referring to my politics.

Somehow, a pink BRZ, with the angry face and maybe even teeth in the grille, seems to me a little incongruous. Maybe Tcoat can find an example for us.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #34
Psilox

Drives: Nothing yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM-BRZ View Post
I pretty set on the white BRZ. Got to the dealership, there just so happen to be a DGM brz lying there and I instantly fell in love with it. It was absolutely gorgeous. Looks so much better irl and I'd definitely pick DGM again.

I feel like you'll grow out of white, but a dark sleek color like DGM is foreverrrrrrrrrrrr

#bias

Only bad thing about DGM/Asphalt is it's hard af to match the rims to your car. Black is usually the way to go for the other colors but it makes your car look like it has winter wheels on.
This, absolutely. The DGM looks so much more premium in person than in photos--it's hard to pick up that lovely metallic sparkle in pics.

If I DO end up with DGM, I'll probably get Enkei wheels in SBC finish, because they looks so damn good with DGM. Take a look at this post from the DGM colourway thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementle View Post
Finally got tyres for my RPF1's.
18x9.5 +38, Hankook RS-3's 245/40/18
Also lowered my coilovers by an inch

Psilox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #35
Psilox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiv View Post
that silver though.....
My one problem with that colour chart is that it's computer generated and doesn't really look accurate compared to real life :< Otherwise I'd have the silver, no question.

This is a much more accurate picture of ISM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icybrzzz View Post

Will post some better shots when I get a chance to wash her up and drive to some nice roads.

Not bad, certainly, but I think there are better colours on offer.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #36
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
Now, be nice, Norville!

I had a Protege ES that was red, red, red -- a white undercoat, clear candy red colorcoat, and clearcoat. In the sun it could put your eyes out. In the south, the quip was, "If you'd spent a little more, you could have got a red one."

My friend used to say, "I thought I saw your 'pink' car the other day." I always thought he was referring to my politics.

Somehow, a pink BRZ, with the angry face and maybe even teeth in the grille, seems to me a little incongruous. Maybe Tcoat can find an example for us.

Like this?

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #37
DGM-BRZ

Drives: 2017 CWP STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilox View Post
This, absolutely. The DGM looks so much more premium in person than in photos--it's hard to pick up that lovely metallic sparkle in pics.

If I DO end up with DGM, I'll probably get Enkei wheels in SBC finish, because they looks so damn good with DGM. Take a look at this post from the DGM colourway thread:
I was thinking about enkei as well. But the spokes dont look good
to me.

Check out 720flow forms gtf1 or gtf2. They only come in black
but I may either stick with black or plasti dip it gun metal.

Rota torques are also beautiful.

Id get Ambit wheels but they arent available in Canada.
DGM-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #38
Psilox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM-BRZ View Post
I was thinking about enkei as well. But the spokes dont look good
to me.

Check out 720flow forms gtf1 or gtf2. They only come in black
but I may either stick with black or plasti dip it gun metal.

Rota torques are also beautiful.

Id get Ambit wheels but they arent available in Canada.
Yeah, the RPF1s are definitely an acquired tasted. Just FYI, the RS05s are also made in SBC. They're a little heavier than RPF1s, but they're more robust with their spoke design.

Other than SBC, I think a nice dark silver wheel (hyperblack or hypersilver, perhaps?) looks nice. Or a shinier gunmetal.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:36 AM   #39
vintagemxer

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
CWP is the creamier of the 2. The metallic colors that come out in the sun...and the pearl gives it a luminescent glow...I of course might be prejudice...that's what's in "my garage"
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #40
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I think a lot also depends on where you live. I saw someone mentioned that Silver tends to be the Premium rare color in their neck of the woods. I'm in California and every other car is silver. To the point that any sedan or coup in silver automatically looks like a Honda Civic. Not saying its a bad thing but it really doesnt stand out over here.

Now i went with the WRP Blue obviously. As someone else mentioned the pearl in the paint really gives it some amazing color change properties. In super bright light the color is almost as light as the Hyperblue, but in low light its almost as dark as the Aquamarine. I love this color. Here a pic of mine in decent light

Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #41
Psilox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I think a lot also depends on where you live. I saw someone mentioned that Silver tends to be the Premium rare color in their neck of the woods. I'm in California and every other car is silver. To the point that any sedan or coup in silver automatically looks like a Honda Civic. Not saying its a bad thing but it really doesnt stand out over here.

Now i went with the WRP Blue obviously. As someone else mentioned the pearl in the paint really gives it some amazing color change properties. In super bright light the color is almost as light as the Hyperblue, but in low light its almost as dark as the Aquamarine. I love this color. Here a pic of mine in decent light

That looks really nice! I forgot that the blue was also a pearl paint. If I didn't think I might get tired of having colour, I'd probably go with that. It's too bad they don't still offer Galaxy Blue, though. It was dark enough that I think I'd have liked that for years to come.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #42
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilox View Post
That looks really nice! I forgot that the blue was also a pearl paint. If I didn't think I might get tired of having colour, I'd probably go with that. It's too bad they don't still offer Galaxy Blue, though. It was dark enough that I think I'd have liked that for years to come.
You'd be surprised how dark this blue actually appears. It always comes out brighter in pictures. But yeah the Galaxy blue was reaaaaly nice.
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote