follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
orthojoe

Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #169
autoXracer

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post

So if you transition from throttle to brake fast enough, you will be greated with that rock hard pedal and no vacuum assist momentarily. The brake booster is a mechanical device so you can't trick it.
This could explain what I experience with pedal dance. Transiting from throttle to brake during the turn, messing up my braking, hence causing the car understeer.
autoXracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #170
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoXracer View Post

Anyone experience understeer with pedal dance? Oh and let me add I'm no pro, so it could be just my driving.
understeer is when you have more grip in the rear than in the front

analyze your inputs and you fill find a solution

pedal dance removes all nannies so you're free to control your car

although I can see how CGS Mike's brake booster explanation could affect your perception if driver inputs.
autoXracer (11-05-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #171
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mike... the problem is DURING the spinout... the pedal goes almost to the floor making a grinding sound / vibration noise... and almost no braking force... not so bad when you're in the middle of the skidpad... but I was almost going to roll backwards into a wall once... really annoying.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #172
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
Mike... the problem is DURING the spinout... the pedal goes almost to the floor making a grinding sound / vibration noise... and almost no braking force... not so bad when you're in the middle of the skidpad... but I was almost going to roll backwards into a wall once... really annoying.
That sounds like ABS... you always have the e-brake available, but I"m not sure lockup is what you really want. The pedal will sink with each pulse under ABS.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #173
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That sounds like ABS... you always have the e-brake available, but I"m not sure lockup is what you really want. The pedal will sink with each pulse under ABS.
yeah, that's what I thought. Yeah, it's frustrating / scary because it's not like I'm left-foot braking or overcooking the brakes or even trying to stop from like 100 to 0. I'm literally spinning out at like 15-20? and most of the momentum is lost during the spin, I just need to stop. I see a lot of guys just drop the clutch and spin the tires forward, but I can't imagine that type of shock on the tranny when you're moving backwards is good.

Trying to find the best / safest solution to learn without worrying.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #174
brn12345

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
So for people who have a tune on their car, what would happen if the pedal dance is performed? If I recall correctly on older ECU's knock correction is disabled in test mode and if the dance puts us in test mode, does that mean we also lose knock correction? On another note, when traction is disabled (3 sec hold down) does the car go into sport mode as well? The reason I ask this is because on my tune the normal mode throttle pedal settings are more aggressive than the sport mode.
brn12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #175
DougW

Drives: FR-S stock for now
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry guys what I'm talking about with pedal overlap is not "ice mode." It's simply the DBW throttle closing too slowly therefore delaying engine vacuum and subsequently brake booster assist. Pump the brake pedal while the engine is running, feels spongy with lots of travel, now engine off, pump the brake, and now it will be rock hard.

So if you transition from throttle to brake fast enough, you will be greated with that rock hard pedal and no vacuum assist momentarily. The brake booster is a mechanical device so you can't trick it.

"Ice Mode" has something to do with the ABS computer programming in response to the wheel speed data. I believe it's a response to excessive ABS intervention so to further reduce potential lock up its reducing line pressure via the ABS pump.
You can add an external reservoir or elect vac pump to assist, this is done all the time on big camed NA hot rods.
DougW
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #176
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
You can add an external reservoir or elect vac pump to assist, this is done all the time on big camed NA hot rods.
DougW
I run a Hydra EMS which has a much faster throttle so it's not an issue anymore.

I think for the poster that spins out and the pedal goes close to the floor I bet pad knock back is part of that along with the ABS pump dealing with that. Pad knock back is caused by flex in the hub/bearing and in turn the brake rotor pushes against the pads, pushing the caliper pistons in.

As a racer who has lost his brakesmore than once I always left foot tap the brake as I exit a series of turns to reset the brake pistons. This way as I brake at the end of the straight I'll have a hard pedal or I'll know I've had a brake failure. Sometimes when I'm going for a lap record I won't do this and the pedal almost always has way more travel. If 1 or 2 tenths of a second doesn't matter then check the brakes

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
afx (02-17-2015), bkblitzed (04-21-2014)
Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #177
DougW

Drives: FR-S stock for now
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I run a Hydra EMS which has a much faster throttle so it's not an issue anymore.

I think for the poster that spins out and the pedal goes close to the floor I bet pad knock back is part of that along with the ABS pump dealing with that. Pad knock back is caused by flex in the hub/bearing and in turn the brake rotor pushes against the pads, pushing the caliper pistons in.

As a racer who has lost his brakesmore than once I always left foot tap the brake as I exit a series of turns to reset the brake pistons. This way as I brake at the end of the straight I'll have a hard pedal or I'll know I've had a brake failure. Sometimes when I'm going for a lap record I won't do this and the pedal almost always has way more travel. If 1 or 2 tenths of a second doesn't matter then check the brakes

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
I hear ya I never had ABS or power brakes when I used to race IMSA but always left foot tapped just hopping something was there especially about mid way of a 24hr when nothing worked. Now everybody bitches if the ABS kicks in 2 feet short. Can the stock ecu's DBW not be reflashed to track 1/1 with the pedal?
DougW
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #178
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i can't seem to enage the pedal dance anymore :o

last time i did it was in the summer..

the only thing that changed is that i'm on winter tires right now and my TPS light is on, could this be interfering with the sequence?

also how warmed up does the car have to be, and will it simply not work if the car is cold?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #179
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post

the only thing that changed is that i'm on winter tires right now and my TPS light is on, could this be interfering with the sequence?

also how warmed up does the car have to be, and will it simply not work if the car is cold?
Car has to be warmed up. Once warm turn car off. Turn car on. Do the pedal dance.

Does this not work?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #180
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post

Fully warmed up. Coolant will need to be at normal operating temp. Once the temp gauge is at the "normal position" from a fully cold start, it should be ready in another minute or so idling.

The engine warms up extremely slowly when idling... I usually sit there free revving up and down to about 2k rpm...
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #181
kotoshi

Drives: 2013 red Scion FR-S
I'm going to try this at a Rallycross tomorrow. The symptoms definitely sound like what I've experienced with fast inputs and a bumpy surface.
kotoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #182
kotoshi

Drives: 2013 red Scion FR-S
So updates from today's testing. First I found it easiest to wait to start the sequence until the dash had finished it's start-up routine.
With the pedal dance done, I was able to take about two to four seconds on a ~65 second course. More important though was that the car never did anything unexpected, like would occasionally happen without it. This is very useful to know.
Also, I never got any ice mode or anything like that. I can say this made me faster at my local Rallycross course
kotoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kotoshi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-23-2013), dave77 (01-06-2014)