follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
tanner

Drives: '10 S4/'13 BRZ/'16 GT4/E30 M3
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
One week with the BRZ, clunking into first gear?

So here's the thing that the wife and I have been noticing with the car since we got it and only 480km on the odometer.

Driving around, come to a stop, but the foot is still depressed on the clutch, transmission is in neutral. Shift into first, no issue.

It's not until we release and depress the clutch (gearbox is in neutral of course), then shift into first, there's a clunking that can be heard and felt (I did search the forum, couldn't find anything other than grinding gears at higher gears). The clunking can be easily duplicated. Now if I shift into second first then into first, no more clunking. Thinking it's something to do with the syncros not aligning or what not.

Has anybody noticed this?
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Bunch of threads on the issue.

Sent from a Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
tanner

Yeah of course I look for THUMP instead of clunking or syncro, then I find things... basically what they're saying:

BRZ MANUAL TRANSMISSION SOUNDS

You may notice, or customers may question, a "thump" or "thunk" sound intermittently when placing the new six-speed manual transmission into first or reverse while stopped. This is a characteristic of the transmission operation which occurs when any remaining input shaft rotation is brought to a quick stop by gear selection. If enough time is given for the shaft to stop turning on its own, then no thump will occur. No wear or damage is occurring as a result of this action. This sound may be more noticeable as the gear oil warms and gear selection is able to be accomplished with greater speed.

So what I need to try out is repeat this test and wait a few more seconds before shifting into first and see if the clunking noise is gone.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Another source of the clunk is if putting it into gear rotates the output shaft sometimes the rear end will make a slight clunk.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
grgonium

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I hear what I think is clunking through all gears. Not sure if its the same clunking though
grgonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yep, it's just clunking from slack in the drive train. You're going to be hearing a lot more noises than you're used to with this car. It's more of a drivers car, and not very refined.

As for clunking in EVERY gear. Certainly possible. If engine breaking occurs, this will mean that all the drivetrain components are mating on one side of their faces. After shifting, and applying engine power to the drivetrain, clunking may be heard as the slack is taken out on the 'power side' of all the gear faces, if you could call it that.

Pressing the clutch in rapidly after coming off the power may alleviate this? Not sure. I press the clutch in quite fast (sometimes too fast I think, as the revs sometimes climb, indicating that my foot isn't off the throttle yet, ) I don't hear clunking in every gear. Mostly just first gear, as OP describes.
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
You're going to be hearing a lot more noises than you're used to with this car. It's more of a drivers car, and not very refined.
Agreed, if I wanted something that was refined, it would cost a lot more and most of all, it would probably be much heavier taking away the fun with driving this car.