follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #295
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I ended up moving it back up a little bit. It's slightly easier to get into reverse now. I was probably a bit too low. I'd really like to raise the accelerator some.
I moved mine back up.. It makes the clutch pedal more firm .. I'm almost back to the stock position and I like it better actually.. Truth be told.. I should have left it alone.. Now that I have more miles on my car.. Everything seems to have fallen in place and shifting has improved on its own.. So the stock height was not so bad after all.. I just needed to be a bit more patient..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #296
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Everyone should go under their dash and take a look, even if they don't want to perform this mod. I was very unhappy to find that my sensor was HARD against the pedal, meaning that movement was being restricted. This *shouldn't * be a problem, because the clutch pedal should have deadband at either end of its travel range. By deadband, I mean that the pedal is moving without physically moving the clutch. But my sensor was essentially riding the clutch since brand new.

This mod only moves the pedal, it has a small effect on the clutch. Because the pedal bottoms out at the same location, it may not be possible to fully disengage the clutch if you adjust it too low. That said, with the clutch pedal even with the brake, there is at least 1" of pedal travel at the bottom where the clutch is not engaged at all (new clutch).

For those that said their pedal feels lighter, it's true. Adjusting the pedal down relieves some of the tension on the pedal return spring. Even without the spring, the pedal should return completely, but it would be ridiculously light. The spring is there only for clutch feel.
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PMPB For This Useful Post:
ProjectD (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #297
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Garage
its like I get what your saying....but at the same time its kinda confusing. I understandthe fact that the sensor is "riding the clutch".....but everything was mixed lol

could you post a video or perhaps pics to isolate it? thanks.
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #298
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
After 3600 miles I finally tried this and it worked wonders for my 1st gear starts. A few notes from my experience.

I removed the pin as mentioned above and turned the "U" Bracket instead of the rod. I also payed a lot of attention to the top and bottom pedal play to make sure that when the pedal is slightly depressed the clutch rod does not move. This was to make sure the switch was not "Riding" the clutch. On the bottom, I made sure all the gear changes did not change the idle RPM with the clutch in sitting still. Finally, I depressed the clutch slightly while driving under throttle to make sure I could feel when the clutch began to disengage so I am confident I have just a little play on the top before the clutch begins to disengage and on the bottom before the clutch begins to engage.

The pedal does feel softer but now I can slide my foot from the dead pedal to the clutch instead of having to lift it up.

Cheers to the OP!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #299
PMPB

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectD View Post
its like I get what your saying....but at the same time its kinda confusing. I understandthe fact that the sensor is "riding the clutch".....but everything was mixed lol

could you post a video or perhaps pics to isolate it? thanks.
I can't take a picture right now, because I don't have my car. So I made a small paint stick drawing to illustrate.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMPB For This Useful Post:
ProjectD (07-02-2013), xxBrun0xx (08-12-2014)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #300
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
I can't take a picture right now, because I don't have my car. So I made a small paint stick drawing to illustrate.
Sweeet! well done. thanks!
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #301
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't know if I failed to tighten everything down correctly, but it almost seems like my clutch pedal has come back up to stock height. I'll have to verify this later.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #302
canon_spec

Drives: FT86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPB View Post
I actually thought we had to move the sensor so the protruding part didn't show. Must have read the guide wrong.

Are there any bad side effects to having it in the 'bad' position? I might need to go back under and fix mine. My back will not be impressed =(
canon_spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #303
PMPB

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by canon_spec View Post
I actually thought we had to move the sensor so the protruding part didn't show. Must have read the guide wrong.

Are there any bad side effects to having it in the 'bad' position? I might need to go back under and fix mine. My back will not be impressed =(
Well, if the sensor is holding down the clutch at all, it could cause the clutch plates to slip and wear out faster. That's why it's 'BAD'.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #304
ihaskrayon
The Comedian

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I just got my car and I need to do this. I've been driving stick for years and this clutch catches so high, I hate it. Reminds me of the Evo IX clutch, but much weaker
ihaskrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #305
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I finally got around to doing this, I was already used to the clutch and how it engages, but I did it anyway since I can change it back if I didn't like it, but wow this is so much better! Been missing out!! D:
@JonnyRocket thanks for the video, super helpful!

Last edited by Wes; 07-10-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wes For This Useful Post:
JonnyRocket (07-10-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #306
MFPC

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I did this Mod a couple days ago and it's great! I adjusted mine slightly below the brake pedal.

The only thing that bothers me is that the first 1/4" to 1/2" of depression feels too loose as if the spring is loosened. Can anyone explain to me why that may be the case? Because of this, it feels like my clutch pedal feels... "cheap"? Should I move the pedal to around slightly above brake pedal?

*Edit 07-30-2013*

Re-adjusted, tightened and didn't feel that weakness anymore. Derp.

Last edited by MFPC; 07-30-2013 at 10:38 PM.
MFPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #307
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
subscribed..
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #308
gdrider77

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
Did this today, HUGE improvement in the clutch.

I did modify the technique discussed however, Subaru didn't intend for you to spin the metal rod to adjust the clutch.

I took off the safety clip, squeezed the plastic safety clip on the pin and took out the pin then pulled the rod down and spun the long "u" shaped bit down, took two tries to get it at a point I liked but it was much easier that trying to spin the rod. Also the gear indicator and cruise worked without adjustment.
Same here. Not sure why everyone seems to be trying to manhandle the rod, vice grips, pliers, sticky gloves? I found it much easier to simply remove the pin, pop out the "bolt", and the simply spin the U thing a couple turns. This is how it was made to be adjusted. Much easier and didnt require turning the rod. I guess either way works, but removing the pin was wayyyy easier.

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring