follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #57
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
no one is wrong here (except the v8 guys rofl)
And you. Enjoy your sporty luxo-barges.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-28-2016), Pat (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #58
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
@WolfpackS2k Is 300, with either 2jz gte swap or stock engine with header, tune, e85, rubber and suspension will whoop a boxster on certain tracks sorry to burst your bubble.

I will though give one another spin if I come across one again(since the consensus seems to be that yes im insane for not liking it), I have driven one over 7-8 yrs ago so my thought might be different this time around... we'll see I guess.
Seems like you are into import cars (like me)... You are probably into the Best Motoring videos. Ever watch the one(s) where they tested the Boxster on the touge? If I remember correctly, they loved it.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #59
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
@WolfpackS2k Is 300, with either 2jz gte swap or stock engine with header, tune, e85, rubber and suspension will whoop a boxster on certain tracks sorry to burst your bubble.

I will though give one another spin if I come across one again(since the consensus seems to be that yes im insane for not liking it), I have driven one over 7-8 yrs ago so my thought might be different this time around... we'll see I guess.
You call that "a few mods"? Mother of God man, I'm curious to know what you consider "a lot of mods"?!? Perhaps relocating the engine to the trunk falls into that category for you?

And FTR I highly doubt a stock engined IS300 with a header E85 tune and "suspension" will whoop a Boxster on any track.

Last edited by WolfpackS2k; 01-28-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: fun times though, thanks!
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-28-2016), Pat (01-28-2016), strat61caster (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #60
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Am I the only one who has a pure hatred for the boxster? I mean I hardly even consider it a Porsche, It's like a high class Volks to me. FFS I used to floor them all the time with a damn almost stock is300, does not scream performance to me. The newer ones are better but still... whenever I see one my brain just goes oh look someone who didn't have enough to buy a real Porsche (don't get me wrong I don't have the budget for even a boxster), I'd take a 944 before a boxster.
Sorry, I've heard this opinion before with both Porsche and other luxury brands and I can't wrap my head around it. How can you say an early generation Boxster isn't a real Porsche and essentially blame those who purchase the car for your elitism? Who the fuck do you think designed and built the car? Of course it's a Porsche, designed and built by them. That car has been a phenomenal success for Porsche both in sales volumes and luring customers in who will trade up to other models.

By the same logic you bought the fake Lexus with your is300. It's an entry level Lexus, is it not?

Unbelievable.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #61
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
And you. Enjoy your sporty luxo-barges.

You realize I drive a BRZ right? soi much for a luxo barge. I don't agree with you therefore I must be wrong...mkayy

You'll probably be surprised to hear I prefer a Telecaster to a strat also. and redheads to blondes.

I don't like the Porsche beetle box get over it, you telling me im wrong wont make me like it more, in fact I hate it even more now, if you like it good more power to you just accept the fact that not everyone is going to have the same opinion.

If I were in the market for a track only car maybe but as a daily, I won't get anywhere near one.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #62
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Honestly, I'm not 100% positive I believe that he's actually driven one... An IS300 will in no way be anywhere near the handling of a mid-engine Boxster... and I'm saying that as someone who loves some of the other cars he mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Sorry, but I'm gonna wave the BS flag again. No IS300 "with a few mods" is going to keep pace with a current Boxster on any track, straight or otherwise. Keep in mind what you're saying when you don't like the Boxster is that you don't like one of the purest handling cars money can buy. You can say you don't like the image associated with the Boxster (kind of like with the Miata). But I've never heard of an auto enthusiast that didn't like nimble gokart like handling.
Quote:

It's got a great base (double wishbone all four corners designed by the guy who designed the ae86, Supra powertrain), but for that 3,400 lb 220 horsepower pig to "whoop" a Boxster you're going to have to dump at least double the purchase price into it redoing all the suspension, wheels, tires, scrounging for quality power parts because nobody bothered with the NA 2JZ seems like you have to go custom and wrangle with outdated ECU tech. The idea of doing a nice reliable 2JZ-GTE swap for less than $7k is laughable.

$15k-$20k+ 15 year old Toyota sedan or $10k 15 year old Porsche convertible...

I seriously considered buying an IS300, I drove one, the torque even on that neglected POS I drove would kick an FA20 in the pants and the thing had beautiful body roll and grip for something that heavy. But 600lbs lighter and mid-engined it ain't. Dude it's ok that you like different cars, that you'd rather have a solid roof (I would too) and 4 seats, that you don't like the styling of this or that and that.

I'll probably never own a Boxster either, but if there's a car that doesn't jive with my philosophy there's no reason to get mad about it and call it a fraud.

Quote:
You'll probably be surprised to hear I prefer a Telecaster to a strat also. and redheads to blondes.
I like my Tele better than my Strat at this point. It's almost like opinions can change over time and shouldn't determine your happiness and get you into pointless arguments!

And IMO the 86 is too fat as well, a cheap GT car not a sports car.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (01-28-2016), WolfpackS2k (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #63
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMeeple View Post
Sorry, I've heard this opinion before with both Porsche and other luxury brands and I can't wrap my head around it. How can you say an early generation Boxster isn't a real Porsche and essentially blame those who purchase the car for your elitism? Who the fuck do you think designed and built the car? Of course it's a Porsche, designed and built by them. That car has been a phenomenal success for Porsche both in sales volumes and luring customers in who will trade up to other models.

By the same logic you bought the fake Lexus with your is300. It's an entry level Lexus, is it not?

Unbelievable.
I don't blame anyone I started by saying am I the only one who hate this car model and then the fanboys started their praise galore on the boxster.

an I clearly stated that I personally do not consider them real Porsche (I just don't think they feel like a Porsche), I just never felt the excitement I did with other porsches I had the opportunity to drive or ride in... same with the 944 but for some reason I still enjoy the 944.

if you want to get one or own one that's great just don't expect me to consider it divine as I don't like it
Old 01-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #64
fumanchu1

@MightyMeeple also youre right the is300 isnt really a lexus since it began life as a Toyota altezza years prior to bwing badged as a lexus in na and eu. By that standard it a high class toyota and therefore yeah not a real lexus... which im all for because aside from the lfa, isf and maybe the rcf i find lexus cars boring as hell and not at all performance oriented

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #65
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Well this is idiotic, but quite amusing.

Why don't you break it down for us, and explain, objectively, why a Boxster isn't a real Porsche. You say it doesn't feel like other Porsches when you drive it. What other midengined Porsches have you driven?

We're all curious to know.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #66
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Not a fan of softtop convertables. I wonder how this will sound without the flat six.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #67
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My friend who worked for Porsche NA (now a Jalopnik writer) said, and I quote:

Quote:
"The Boxster is the best car Porsche makes."
...and he has had the privilege of living with multiple company cars (usually 911s), and tried out pretty much every model, including the GT cars.

What's not to love?
  • Mid-Engined
  • 6-Speed
  • Lightweight (unlike where the 911 is going)
  • Playful
  • Convertible
  • Most Inexpensive Model

The 981 was fantastic in my view, and the 718 further improves on this awesome recipe.

I'm actually considering making a deposit.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #68
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Well this is idiotic, but quite amusing.

Why don't you break it down for us, and explain, objectively, why a Boxster isn't a real Porsche. You say it doesn't feel like other Porsches when you drive it. What other midengined Porsches have you driven?

We're all curious to know.
There is no objectively when stating personal taste and opinion it's all subjective (I clearly stated personally which clearly indicates it is a subjective opinion and not objective), I'm well aware of it and it pedigree but I just don't like it, don't like the feeling.... get over it

None I've driven an old rear engine Porsche 911 and 4s(I think) and ridden in quite a few different models such a cayman and various 911's... I guess the only other MR Porsche I've seen/ridden in was a 914 I believe and boxster obviously.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #69
fumanchu1

Holy fuck I don't like Kurt Cobain either you gonna start a fucking rant/witch hunt because of that too s2k? It doesn't appeal to me period... you like it that's great for you people have varied opinions and if we all had the same opinion life would be boring and everything would be the same.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #70
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
but if there's a car that doesn't jive with my philosophy there's no reason to get mad about it and call it a fraud.

And IMO the 86 is too fat as well, a cheap GT car not a sports car.The 86 is lighter than a 986 boxer is it not? 3100lbs vs 2700 if I'm not mistaken? but I get your point about the smashing the car (TBH I didn't think I had gone that hard on my first post, re-reading it now though it seems I did go a bit overboard)

I may have actually went a bit hard on my first comment, I'll give you that and I apologize for the way that came out (a bit of anger came out it seems). I should have just said I don't like it but that was my personal opinion on the car, it's completely subjective and apparently not a lot of people agree with me and that's fine.

Anyways I've spent enough time arguing this and we will just leave it at I don't like it, you guys do and all is well with the world.

I am curious though why you consider the 86 too fat(basically a gt is how you put it) yet the boxster is not too fat even though it's heavier (were you talking about weight or other factors like wheelbase,etc?) I'm truly curious and hell if I can change the tone/subject of this convo let's go and do that