follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Upgrading brakes on the lower spec GT86 (the standard spec outside of US market)

Hey everyone,
I've been searching for information on this topic, and I haven't seen any answers to my question.

In most countries the GT86, comes it 16" or 17" wheels, and the brake system is different between those versions. the 16" version comes with solid rear discs, whereas the 17" is the same as the US spec, rear ventilated. And there are other differences like the rotor size.

I'm looking to upgrade my brake system as a whole (front & rear), and most of what I find is made for the US spec version of the car (or the upper spec of mine)

The easiest option seems to be a big brake kit as a whole. But this is quite a pricey proposition.

If I can get my hands on the US spec (or upper spec) GT86 brake kits, how simple would the install be? just replace rotors and calipers? or do I need to reconfigure the braking computer (or whatever controls the brake system)? If I use a different kit, do I need to do the same?

Thanks in advance for any info on the topic.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionTou View Post
Hey everyone,
I've been searching for information on this topic, and I haven't seen any answers to my question.

In most countries the GT86, comes it 16" or 17" wheels, and the brake system is different between those versions. the 16" version comes with solid rear discs, whereas the 17" is the same as the US spec, rear ventilated. And there are other differences like the rotor size.

I'm looking to upgrade my brake system as a whole (front & rear), and most of what I find is made for the US spec version of the car (or the upper spec of mine)

The easiest option seems to be a big brake kit as a whole. But this is quite a pricey proposition.

If I can get my hands on the US spec (or upper spec) GT86 brake kits, how simple would the install be? just replace rotors and calipers? or do I need to reconfigure the braking computer (or whatever controls the brake system)? If I use a different kit, do I need to do the same?

Thanks in advance for any info on the topic.
I think it's best to try working with different brake pad compounds first. Brake pads have different friction coefficients and wear characteristics that tailor to different brake necessities. What is your intended goal? Did you just want to change brake caliper and rotor sizing or do you want to see more performance from your brakes?
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
OnionTou (08-10-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
listening to CSG David here is probably a great start to finding your answers
Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
I have the same brakes and have already looked into all this.

You have the same calipers and pads on the front, its the disc that's smaller. Therefore also the caliper braket is different. This means you can buy the same front pads as ones that are for the larger brake model. But not the discs.

The rears are totally different. Different caliper, disc, pad, bracket.

What have I done? I've ordered trd pads (trd make pads including rear specific for the base model) and trd steel brake lines, and trd brake fluid.

I believe this will give me the braking performance I'm after. I'll be able to tell you for certain once I have put the parts on and gone to the track.

Try this first before sinking 3-4 times the cost, for just a front bbk.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
CSG David

The 86 has the same brakes as the WRX. You should not have any issues with braking performance. My recommendation is to use more aggressive pads and brake fluid. I can PM you if you would like to discuss more options available and what CSG's experiences are with multiple brake compounds as well as BBKs.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
The 86 has the same brakes as the WRX. You should not have any issues with braking performance.
In North America, yes, but over seas the lower spec models come with brakes that IIRC are directly off the base impreza. Smaller discs front, smaller discs rear with solid rotors.

IMO, unless you're overheating the solid rear rotors you're probably fine with just better pads/fluid. You can add stainless lines, but that will just effect feel, not stopping power.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
CSG David

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
In North America, yes, but over seas the lower spec models come with brakes that IIRC are directly off the base impreza. Smaller discs front, smaller discs rear with solid rotors.

IMO, unless you're overheating the solid rear rotors you're probably fine with just better pads/fluid. You can add stainless lines, but that will just effect feel, not stopping power.
From research, WRX front and rear brakes that is for the 86 GT with 16" wheels. The WRX rear brake is smaller than the BRZ/FRS rear brake.

If there are other 86s out there, I'll keep that in the database.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The WRX rear brake is smaller than the BRZ/FRS rear brake.
They're running standard WRX rears, we're running standard LGT rears.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
CSG David (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Agree with this.

Will confirm for certain in another month or so.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Most braking is done by the front tires so if you want to improve brakes for less money do the fronts first. But, before you spend any money on brakes get better tires. The stock tires on these cars are pretty pathetic. Generally speaking you don't need more brake power until your stock brakes can no longer engage the ABS on dry pavement. Fit better tires first and then consider brake improvements. Bear in mind that better tires will ruin the handling....8-)
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
There are a few people here in Aus who have upgraded from the base spec brakes to the upper spec. I have bought them myself and plan to bolt them on in the next month or so. I believe they even fit under the stock 16" wheels.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
So for the front u just need a different bracket and the bigger disk? I looked at my calipers yesterday and they appear to bolt strait to the hub and dont utilize a bracket. Is it diffrnt in japan, or did i miss something?
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
From research, WRX front and rear brakes that is for the 86 GT with 16" wheels. The WRX rear brake is smaller than the BRZ/FRS rear brake.

If there are other 86s out there, I'll keep that in the database.
I cross referenced part numbers at one point, and one of the rotors is a base impreza part, I just can't remember if it's front or rear. Do WRX's really come with solid rear rotors?? I thought they were vented.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The 86 has the same brakes as the WRX. You should not have any issues with braking performance. My recommendation is to use more aggressive pads and brake fluid. I can PM you if you would like to discuss more options available and what CSG's experiences are with multiple brake compounds as well as BBKs.
A couple of guys at our local GT86 club have run into brake system issues. We have a circuit around here and there are trackdays available. 3 people have killed their brakes in 1 track day, and on relatively new brakepads (1000 miles at most).

2 guys ate through their brakepads (and one of them even ended up messing up his discs)
1 guy overheated the system, and ended up losing brakes at the end of the main straight.

There was another guy on the same trackday, he had the top spec (17" wheels with ventilated brakes), didn't have an issue and has tracked his car 2 or 3 times I believe.

I think technique may have a little to do with the life of the pads, but I think part of it is still due to brake system the lower spec has.

When I bought my car, there was a huge price difference (US$ 8k) between the lower spec model and the top spec, the mechanical differences were wheels and brakes. I did my math and realized that for the same money I could go for 18" wheels and stickier tires, and even get a budget BBK for front and back.

Most of guys in the club have changed pads/fluid/lines, and are still pending to track their cars to see the overall effect. What I want from my car are upgraded brake system as a whole. I plan to track my car every now and then, but keep it pretty usable as my weekend ride.

I read somewhere that the rear brakes in my car is the same as the Legacy.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote