follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #323
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,535
Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,126 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not that familiar with FHI500, but some of turn-in sharpness might be enhanced with tires of stiffer sidewalls. Eg. something from UHP tires, like Michelin PSS & PS4S/Yokos AD08R/GY Eagle F1 supersport/Conti sportcontact 6/Vredestein Ultrac Vorti/Falken Azens FK510/GT Radial Champiro SX2 and so on ..
Of course also keep an eye on tire pressures not too low.
Possibly i'd also install steering rack lockdown and maybe rear subframe inserts.
Also if it's due alignment .. what alignment camber/toe wise you have now?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 AM   #324
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 803
Thanks: 567
Thanked 581 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire98 View Post
Neat thread. I just replaced my stock wheels that had cheapo all season tires installed from the dealer (bought my car used at 42k miles) with some 225/45r17 firehawk indy 500's on some 17x8 +35 tsw's. I don't feel I've overtired the car but some response was lost a bit compared to the old tires even after a few hundred break-in miles. My car goes in for an alignment hopefully next week so I think that should help (installing the oem crash bolts too) but I'm kinda worried that alone won't get the response to the level I want. Seems like some people say springs are the answer? Just curious what methods are out their to increase the steering response of this car with some grippier tires.
That’s interesting. How exactly has the responsiveness changed? Does steering feel “numb” or do you just feel less connected? I’ve heard lots of good things about those tires and it sounds like you have a decent setup so it’s kind of odd you’d lose responsiveness. Those tires are certainly grippier than what you had before so maybe it’s just something to get used to What’s the suspension setup?
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #325
Bluefire98
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Location: Oregon
Posts: 67
Thanks: 26
Thanked 48 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Thatís interesting. How exactly has the responsiveness changed? Does steering feel ďnumbĒ or do you just feel less connected? Iíve heard lots of good things about those tires and it sounds like you have a decent setup so itís kind of odd youíd lose responsiveness. Those tires are certainly grippier than what you had before so maybe itís just something to get used to Whatís the suspension setup?
I'm on stock suspension. The improved grip is really wonderful but the turn in is not quite as sharp. I still feel connected but it seems like there's a slightly larger on center dead spot than before. It's mostly noticeable during in town speeds around 35mph. It's actually not too big of a difference but for autocross having quick steering inputs is important to me. Otherwise the car feels really good with this setup and I'm very excited for the next event
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #326
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,197
Thanks: 789
Thanked 1,089 Times in 692 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire98 View Post
I'm on stock suspension. The improved grip is really wonderful but the turn in is not quite as sharp. I still feel connected but it seems like there's a slightly larger on center dead spot than before. It's mostly noticeable during in town speeds around 35mph. It's actually not too big of a difference but for autocross having quick steering inputs is important to me. Otherwise the car feels really good with this setup and I'm very excited for the next event
Increase tire pressure?
__________________
Instagram: @gt86wes
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #327
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,140
Thanks: 12,482
Thanked 8,261 Times in 4,316 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Check toe or newfound steering rack bushing deflection with the heavier/grippier setup.

I've got a set of bushings I've been slacking on installing for a long time, hoping they'll go in soon...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #328
Impureclient
Your Mom is my Dad
 
Impureclient's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: NPR, Florida
Posts: 2,158
Thanks: 1,452
Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire98 View Post
I'm on stock suspension. The improved grip is really wonderful but the turn in is not quite as sharp. I still feel connected but it seems like there's a slightly larger on center dead spot than before. It's mostly noticeable during in town speeds around 35mph. It's actually not too big of a difference but for autocross having quick steering inputs is important to me. Otherwise the car feels really good with this setup and I'm very excited for the next event
Since you're already going down on this path before you get the alignment done, I'd also be doing the springs(TRDs are nothing too low and always recommended highly in here) along with those crash bolts and steering rack lockdown before.
No point in getting an alignment if you are needing to do it again later after springs/coils. If you do get the lockdowns, check on Ebay as there is a copied version of the Perrin ones for a fraction of the price. I've done everything above
including the same Indy 500s but GTF1 17x8 wheels and wouldn't have changed a thing now.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #329
Bluefire98
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Location: Oregon
Posts: 67
Thanks: 26
Thanked 48 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've been debating just springing for springs already but I'm pretty much out of money for car mods this month and I'd like to get the alignment done before the event anyway. I was thinking rce yellows instead of the trd's for the extra ground clearance and if I remember right softer spring rates (still my daily so I'd like to not die from train tracks). Sounds like I'll have to look into steering rack bushings as well. Also these indy 500s are proving to be a deal considering the grip/comfort/tread life you get for the price. 375 for all 4 after a rebate. Probably not ideal for any track junkies but perfect for the occasional autocrosser that can't afford to blow all their money on the hobby.
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefire98 For This Useful Post:
why? (07-15-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #330
FeRS
Member
 
FeRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: Raven 2015 FRS
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 29
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire98 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've been debating just springing for springs already but I'm pretty much out of money for car mods this month and I'd like to get the alignment done before the event anyway. I was thinking rce yellows instead of the trd's for the extra ground clearance and if I remember right softer spring rates (still my daily so I'd like to not die from train tracks). Sounds like I'll have to look into steering rack bushings as well. Also these indy 500s are proving to be a deal considering the grip/comfort/tread life you get for the price. 375 for all 4 after a rebate. Probably not ideal for any track junkies but perfect for the occasional autocrosser that can't afford to blow all their money on the hobby.
I run Indy 500s. They're American branded Bridgestone Potenza RE003s, they seem like a good tire. I don't know about the TRD spring rates, but RCE Yellows are a better fit for stock dampers than any other aftermarket spring I've seen
FeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FeRS For This Useful Post:
Bluefire98 (08-23-2019), Racecomp Engineering (08-16-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #331
Spacemane969
Senior Member
 
Spacemane969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia, US
Posts: 326
Thanks: 135
Thanked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I still see people trying to get their camber "back to 0" after lowering. Don't do this!

- Andy
Why not do this? Is it because the geometry has changed after lowering? I'm always afraid of losing steering feel due to camber.
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #332
EndlessAzure
Senior Member
 
EndlessAzure's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 343
Thanks: 49
Thanked 132 Times in 106 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
Why not do this? Is it because the geometry has changed after lowering? I'm always afraid of losing steering feel due to camber.
When you corner under load, your car's weight transfers, causing wheels and tires to lean over. If you have zero camber, you have no margin when the leaning occurs, essentially causing you to lose good contact on the inside part of the tire (meaning less grip, leading to understeer). In track cars that don't have sufficient camber, there is a telltale sign: more wear on the outside half of the tire vs inside half of tire.



Having negative camber will counteract this and actually improves steering feel (since your car has a better contact patch under loading).



(Too much) negative camber also has some side effects. Obviously, the outer edge of the tire will not be doing much when you're traveling in a straight line and result in uneven tire wear. Camber also cause the car to steer into natural divots and banking of the road due to increased grip bias (the tire that is leaning will pull more).
__________________

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 12-30-2019 at 08:42 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
why? (12-31-2019)
Old 01-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #333
George Rosebush
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Location: CA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 6
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's the stock camber front and rear?
George Rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #334
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,535
Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,126 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For these cars? Click.
front: 0 camber, 0 toe
rear: -1deg12' camber, slight +0deg10' toe-in.
With understeer-ish bias and monstrous +/- "passing" ranges (eg. rear toe from toe in to toe out), at extremes of which car might be PITA to drive and not even track straight or have other handling issues (eg. nervous oversteery rear, if to toe-out).
Even if buying it new, even if deciding to stock alignment, worth checking and evening it out if needed, at least once.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #335
biggie
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Drives: gt86
Location: Romania
Posts: 45
Thanks: 43
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is my current setup: OZ Alleggerita HLT 18" J8 ET48 + Federal RsR 225/40 + SPC camber bolts (-1.2 front camber), the rest is stock. I also have header/catback/stage2+ and good brake pads and fluids (NED's oil cooler is also on it's way). I'm using the car as DD but also for more than 10 trackdays per season and few mountain runs.

This is my problem: after switching from MPSS to Federal I gained about 1 second on a 2 minutes track but the grip loss is way less progressive/predictable and the front end is more prone to understeer. Fun factor is down a lot.
In the long run I'm planning for coilovers but for now I'm looking for a "quick fix" for this (other than going back to MPSS). Based on what I've read on this topic I'm thinking some RCE yellows could be the fix I'm looking for (along with powerflex bushes for camber adjustment that should add an extra -1 degree front camber for some -2.2 in total). What do you guys think?

Note: weight (vs stock wheels) with MPSS is about -4lbs per corner and about +1lbs with Federal.
biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #336
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 4,412
Thanks: 2,307
Thanked 5,378 Times in 2,280 Posts
Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie View Post
This is my current setup: OZ Alleggerita HLT 18" J8 ET48 + Federal RsR 225/40 + SPC camber bolts (-1.2 front camber), the rest is stock. I also have header/catback/stage2+ and good brake pads and fluids (NED's oil cooler is also on it's way). I'm using the car as DD but also for more than 10 trackdays per season and few mountain runs.

This is my problem: after switching from MPSS to Federal I gained about 1 second on a 2 minutes track but the grip loss is way less progressive/predictable and the front end is more prone to understeer. Fun factor is down a lot.
In the long run I'm planning for coilovers but for now I'm looking for a "quick fix" for this (other than going back to MPSS). Based on what I've read on this topic I'm thinking some RCE yellows could be the fix I'm looking for (along with powerflex bushes for camber adjustment that should add an extra -1 degree front camber for some -2.2 in total). What do you guys think?

Note: weight (vs stock wheels) with MPSS is about -4lbs per corner and about +1lbs with Federal.
That is what I would expect with that change in tire for your car. You need more negative camber in front. RCE Yellows will help overall but more camber would make a very good difference.

- Andrew
__________________
Suspension and brake specialists
www.racecompengineering.com

+1 (410) 846-5407
instagram:@racecompengineering @theapexfiles
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRZ Limited Backup Camera Step by Step (WARNING long post, many pictures) runny_yolk Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 119 10-24-2016 12:21 AM
step 1 :buy frs in phx, step 2: drive to pikes peak haymaker Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 15 08-21-2012 10:44 AM
[StreetFX] License Plate LED light upgrade, and DIY step by step guide (GT and GTS) WTF Australia Classifieds 0 07-11-2012 11:38 AM
[StreetFX] BRIGHT Boot/Trunk LED light upgrade & DIY step by step guide (GT and GTS) WTF Australia Classifieds 0 07-11-2012 11:27 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.