follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #43
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OP, you should sell your fr-s and buy a civic right away. You would fit right in, and can still continue your vision on your car!
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Learn is all you can do. We are all learning. This car is fairly new and there is still lots of room for growth on the aftermarket parts side so if you aren't dead set and hell bent on a particular thing, wait it out and read reviews until you find the item you truly want.
I used to be very into cars a long time ago and the 86 has brought me back to that place. And it is a very expensive love. So take your time really. I have already watched a few over zealous owners blow through 4 sets of wheels and tires, suspension set ups, and other upgrades because they weren't sure what they wanted.
Definitely watch build threads, they help visually.
As for 19's I wouldn't personally go that big. I have 18s and that was big enough to fill in gap and not take away from handling. I have springs and I rub sometimes going to fast on shitty highways I cringe at the thought of the sound 19's would make in those situations!

Congrats, good luck, and welcome.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #45
Jonoraven93

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
Learn is all you can do. We are all learning. This car is fairly new and there is still lots of room for growth on the aftermarket parts side so if you aren't dead set and hell bent on a particular thing, wait it out and read reviews until you find the item you truly want.
I used to be very into cars a long time ago and the 86 has brought me back to that place. And it is a very expensive love. So take your time really. I have already watched a few over zealous owners blow through 4 sets of wheels and tires, suspension set ups, and other upgrades because they weren't sure what they wanted.
Definitely watch build threads, they help visually.
As for 19's I wouldn't personally go that big. I have 18s and that was big enough to fill in gap and not take away from handling. I have springs and I rub sometimes going to fast on shitty highways I cringe at the thought of the sound 19's would make in those situations!

Congrats, good luck, and welcome.
Thank you for the wheels advice and your other information
Jonoraven93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonoraven93 For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #46
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
ehh...

I don't care if you spend 2-3k for full exhaust, intake, tune, header, fuel pump, whatever makes the car go faster. It will make a bit faster, but not by much.

One thing I'm worried is your feeling after all. If some other guy with V8 or supercharged V6 pulls up, the chance for you to push your car is highly likely. Or even 4 cylinder turbo cars like GTI, MS3, Evo, STI. Those cars get pretty good power with just a tune.

Once you start pulling because you put so much money and effort to make this car go faster, but you lose... that feeling will hurt you in some way.

So my point is....

Stop researching, you're wasting your time. Just save cash until you have 7-8k. That will get you proper turbo kit with tune and some supporting modifications.

From what I understand, that's the one of the few ways to make this car fast like you want to. Hope I made a good point without hurting your feeling.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #47
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonoraven93 View Post
Well title says it all, I don't really know to much about how a car works in depth. The fr-s is my first ever purchased vehicle and I'm looking to upgrade. Such as a faster 0-60 more torque and hp at reasonable price.. The more information the better. Also I'm lookin for new rims I'm Tryna go black on black. I'm thinkin 19's if they'll fit and wat would be the best fitting. Air intakes turbos, coil overs, whatever's the best an gets the most improvement, help me out I'm Tryna make this raven fly thanks
I have not read all the threads so someone or many someones have probably already addressed this but if you are worried about 0-60 then stay away from 19" wheels. The added weight and rolling resistance of bigger tires is going to slow you down. If you are only worried about aesthetics then go for it if that is the look you like.
strat61caster (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #48
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Well see I wasn't very aware of the testing still of most products. But I mean something as simple as a air intake or coil overs would that even do much? In wat kind of price range? Or even a full exhaust change are there actually good ones out or are they still bein explored. Like I said I'm new to the whole car world, but of course the fr-s is makin me want to learn more.
Bolt ons such as intakes and exhausts and air filters and such will provide a "bump" in power but will likely be next to unnoticeable. (Although an exhaust will be louder)

To get noticeable gains you will need to mess with the ECU tuning, and more serious engine mods such as head work and forced induction. This may lead to problems in reliability and engine life (people have had problems with the engine stalling with a simple bolt on intake).

Lowering the car may make it look nice but the bottom line is that since you're not on the track all you will notice is the car will be stiffer, harsher and more aggressive, odds are you won't "feel faster", it may be what you want, I don't know. Try to get a ride along with someone who has lowered their car, many find it to be absolutely miserable on their daily driver because it is so harsh. The car will feel different, you'll feel bumps and such in the road and when you corner the car will roll over even less which may add to excitement (not to mention you can change the handling characteristics, understeer vs. oversteer) but not necessarily "go faster" in your case.

Edit: all these questions can be answered by perusing the related topics on modifications on the appropriate sub-forum and wikipedia is a great source as well.
Try this too:
http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ech_index.html
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #49
Jonoraven93

Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
ehh...

I don't care if you spend 2-3k for full exhaust, intake, tune, header, fuel pump, whatever makes the car go faster. It will make a bit faster, but not by much.

One thing I'm worried is your feeling after all. If some other guy with V8 or supercharged V6 pulls up, the chance for you to push your car is highly likely. Or even 4 cylinder turbo cars like GTI, MS3, Evo, STI. Those cars get pretty good power with just a tune.

Once you start pulling because you put so much money and effort to make this car go faster, but you lose... that feeling will hurt you in some way.

So my point is....

Stop researching, you're wasting your time. Just save cash until you have 7-8k. That will get you proper turbo kit with tune and some supporting modifications.

From what I understand, that's the one of the few ways to make this car fast like you want to. Hope I made a good point without hurting your feeling.
Haha I appreciate the advice and by no means are you or anyone else hurting my feelings. I posted this knowing I was car dumb. But as I can tell as well the best bet would be to wait for a turbo as your saying.... So with that being said... 18" black rims any ideas?? Yea I could research for myself but I like others inputs
Old 04-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #50
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Haha I appreciate the advice and by no means are you or anyone else hurting my feelings. I posted this knowing I was car dumb. But as I can tell as well the best bet would be to wait for a turbo as your saying.... So with that being said... 18" black rims any ideas?? Yea I could research for myself but I like others inputs
Since you're only 20, you have faster processing brain.

Click the link below and study/calculate/pick the right 18" black wheels you want. You have to think about width of the wheel, offset and tire size.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #51
Jonoraven93

Thanks once again
Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #52
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow this thread went downhill fast but managed to mature pretty quickly...

Some good advice posted so far and I agree with most of it. The 86 is still a new platform (and a brand new engine that's different than previous Subaru engines in almost every way). So yeah, there's little data on REAL longevity of engines with forced induction, or how long the rest of the drivetrain will last after dealing with 50%, 100%, or even 300% power over stock. There is no easy answer to satisfy everyone who wants "more power" because it's a very vague definition.

Secondly, bigger wheels will most likely make the car slower. It's small and lightweight, and adding rotation weight like bigger wheels makes a noticable difference. Stick with 17's for performance, or go with 18's for looks. I personally think 19's on this car is a terrible idea, heavy, and they look just too big.

The car wasn't built for straight line speed, it was built to be a driver's car. If you've never been to a real race course, it's something you should DEFINITELY sign up for this summer. Find a track event that includes driving instruction and go with a humble head, ready to learn. You'll have so much fun that it might make you look at the car in a completely different light. There's something to be said for really knowing how to properly drive fast in a slow car.

I'd recommend in the mean time, to look for little upgrades here and there that you can try to do yourself that will improve the driving experience overall, such as better brake pads, stainless brake lines, brake master cylinder brace, maybe some exhaust for a different sound, wheels, tires, springs, coilovers, bushings, swaybars, etc can all make the car feel different and more responsive and communicative, allowing you to simply have more fun. How about learning new techniques? such as rev matching your downshifts, or double clutching? (I know DC'ing isn't necessary, but it's fun).

As someone advised, check other people's build threads and see what they've done. This will help give you a better idea of exactly what suits your specific needs because many owners explain why they made certain choices and what difficulties they ran into. Keep in mind, if you're having a shop do the work for you, this is good for technical reasons, but labor could get expensive, quickly.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
CamryDS (04-27-2013), Coaster (04-26-2013), HotLeopardMama (04-26-2013), Sonolin (04-26-2013), strat61caster (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
Coaster

Drives: Civic
This helped me a lot. Good luck with your build.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
Jonoraven93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Wow this thread went downhill fast but managed to mature pretty quickly...

Some good advice posted so far and I agree with most of it. The 86 is still a new platform (and a brand new engine that's different than previous Subaru engines in almost every way). So yeah, there's little data on REAL longevity of engines with forced induction, or how long the rest of the drivetrain will last after dealing with 50%, 100%, or even 300% power over stock. There is no easy answer to satisfy everyone who wants "more power" because it's a very vague definition.

Secondly, bigger wheels will most likely make the car slower. It's small and lightweight, and adding rotation weight like bigger wheels makes a noticable difference. Stick with 17's for performance, or go with 18's for looks. I personally think 19's on this car is a terrible idea, heavy, and they look just too big.

The car wasn't built for straight line speed, it was built to be a driver's car. If you've never been to a real race course, it's something you should DEFINITELY sign up for this summer. Find a track event that includes driving instruction and go with a humble head, ready to learn. You'll have so much fun that it might make you look at the car in a completely different light. There's something to be said for really knowing how to properly drive fast in a slow car.

I'd recommend in the mean time, to look for little upgrades here and there that you can try to do yourself that will improve the driving experience overall, such as better brake pads, stainless brake lines, brake master cylinder brace, maybe some exhaust for a different sound, wheels, tires, springs, coilovers, bushings, swaybars, etc can all make the car feel different and more responsive and communicative, allowing you to simply have more fun. How about learning new techniques? such as rev matching your downshifts, or double clutching? (I know DC'ing isn't necessary, but it's fun).

As someone advised, check other people's build threads and see what they've done. This will help give you a better idea of exactly what suits your specific needs because many owners explain why they made certain choices and what difficulties they ran into. Keep in mind, if you're having a shop do the work for you, this is good for technical reasons, but labor could get expensive, quickly.
Thanks for this large amount of I formation, the kind of thing I was looking for, and for double clutching and downshifting I have a paddle shifter auto/manual with no clutch.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
19"tires are more than 20"tires because its am odd number and harder to sell because everyone skips it for some reason. there is higher demand for 18 and 20. you might as well get 20" if you want 19, but i personally would stay at 18 Max
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #56
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Every time you type "tryna" on the internet, God kills a kitten. If you install one of those eBay "Intake Turbos" then God will send his team of highly-trained, ninja hamsters to your house to tattoo, "I'm a complete IDIOT!" on your forehead.

And there is not such thing as "hp at a reasonable price" regardless of what you may have heard.

Scott
Exhaust, lighter wheels, air intake and some stickers will add all reasonable HP all maybe under $1500 maybe even under $1000
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote