follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
What's winter?

Said every Floridian ever.
Oh Florida...

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #16
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What is this "storage" you speak of? I'm confused.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
DaBoBo21 (11-14-2018), wparsons (11-13-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
Maritime Storm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd, Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Winter, AKA Drifting Season. Ours is a daily driver year round, my wife loves winter because she can use every possible excuse to put Hachi sideways.
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #18
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tucked away for the winter

Found out I was getting my old car back to use as a winter beater a few days back, which meant I could actually store my BRZ this year for the first time. But hey, not before she saw some snow on Friday...

On Sunday I stored her away (my first time storing any vehicle), doing the following:

- Full tank of gas with Stabil, added at the Gas station so I could have a good 10 min drive before storage. I refrained from an oil change since I did one a couple of weeks ago, wasn’t expecting to store the car.
- Washed at my local touchless (underbody spray was the key here) with QuikDetailer to handle the waterspots and remaining latent dirt. Interior was cleaned last week.
- Windows cracked, dryer sheets and baking soda left in the car for moisture absorption and freshness
- metal scotch pads in the exhaust tips to prevent any unwanted guests
- car parked on two gym mats per tire, aired up to 40psi; in neutral and no handbrake, wheels chocked.
- battery tender JR plugged in (grounded it to one of the bolts on the strut tower)
- and my improvised car cover, just to keep the dust off.

Good to go for next year!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
7 skulls

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
[QUOTE=JBezugs;3154257]Found out I was getting my old car back to use as a winter beater a few days back, which meant I could actually store my BRZ this year for the first time. But hey, not before she saw some snow on Friday...

That color is awesome!
7 skulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I couldn't find another car as fun in the snow, so the FR-S is my winter beater I admire those of you who put the car away though, I imagine it's fun to look forward to and bring out of storage. I used to get that with another car I had. It was nice to open the door on the first warm May morning to smell that same leather smell the car always had...

I usually would just take the terminals off the battery during storage though, never used a tender. Seemed like a waste of electricity for something that will inevitably need to be replaced anyway
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
Bent42

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Found out I was getting my old car back to use as a winter beater a few days back, which meant I could actually store my BRZ this year for the first time. But hey, not before she saw some snow on Friday...

Good to go for next year!
Curious what track map that is above Mosport, is that Charlotte?
Bent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #22
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 skulls View Post
That color is awesome!

Thank you! Subaru doesn’t offer a factory green so I had to take matters into my own hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent42 View Post
Curious what track map that is above Mosport, is that Charlotte?

It’s the Daytona road course actually! I was at Daytona for the Rolex 24hrs this year, so I keep the track maps as the running tally of the IMSA races I’ve been to thus far. I’ve driven on the Mosport GP circuit as well.

Last edited by JBezugs; 11-16-2018 at 08:58 AM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Bent42

Drives: 2013 FR-S
[quote=JBezugs;3154705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 skulls View Post

Thank you! Subaru doesn’t offer a factory green so I had to take matters into my own hands...

It’s the Daytona road course actually! I was at Daytona for the Rolex 24hrs this year, so I keep the track maps as the running tally of the IMSA races I’ve been to thus far. I’ve driven on the Mosport GP circuit as well.
Very cool, I should figured that one out but I was at a show at Charlotte last year and it's nearly identical.
Bent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #24
Pedro13

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just put my baby to rest last week, before the first snow storm and follow the same recipe of last year: Put stabilizer on the gas, wax & cleaned inside/outside, put extra air on my wheels and one (I think) key thing: Since I store the car on my own garage, I try at least ONCE per week(of course if is not snowing) turn on the car outside my driveway for at least 10 mins. and whenever weather permits (no snow, dry roads) drive it for a couple of blocks. In this way I kept the battery "alive" and avoid any mark on the tires. No emergency brake (to avoid marks on the disk)and last, when car will back on the road, immediately change the oil. This "recipe" is very similar to the ones was wrote on this thread, but was given for a guy that collect classic cars and is the way he keep his cars on our Canadian Winters.

The bright side to store your car? you feel every spring like you have a brand new car! and after drive for few months a winter beater, appreciate even more your Hachi-Roku....
Attached Images

Pedro13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #25
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
^^ Starting the car periodically is actually worse for it unless you're getting it up to full operating temp enough for the moisture in the oil to burn off, as well as burning all the condensation out of the exhaust. 10 minutes in your driveway definitely isn't long enough for that. You also won't ever see marks on the rotor from the e-brake on these cars, they have a drum e-brake inside the rear rotor. I agree with not using the e-brake though, at least if it seizes it'll seize off instead locking on.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #26
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I bought a winter beater this year which will be my primary vehicle but I'm keeping the BRZ on the road for when the weather is good and will use it to commute on days when the weather is good.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #27
Richyjc

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro13 View Post
I just put my baby to rest last week, before the first snow storm and follow the same recipe of last year: Put stabilizer on the gas, wax & cleaned inside/outside, put extra air on my wheels and one (I think) key thing: Since I store the car on my own garage, I try at least ONCE per week(of course if is not snowing) turn on the car outside my driveway for at least 10 mins. and whenever weather permits (no snow, dry roads) drive it for a couple of blocks. In this way I kept the battery "alive" and avoid any mark on the tires. No emergency brake (to avoid marks on the disk)and last, when car will back on the road, immediately change the oil. This "recipe" is very similar to the ones was wrote on this thread, but was given for a guy that collect classic cars and is the way he keep his cars on our Canadian Winters.

The bright side to store your car? you feel every spring like you have a brand new car! and after drive for few months a winter beater, appreciate even more your Hachi-Roku....
just buy a battery tender to keep the battery alive. they are around $35 bucks from homedepot.
Richyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #28
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Oh Florida...

Flori-dook-dook-doooooooooookkkk