follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
bloomy116

Drives: 2010 Honda Civic Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ front grille mod

How likely is it that a simple aftermarket BRZ front grille mod will be available to replace the black plastic strip with a metal grill like the FR-S in the near future? I find the BRZ limited as pretty flawless...excluding the front fascia.....
bloomy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Sigh...

the black strip is no more structurally sound as the FRS as both bumpers are made from plastic. As far as your question, very unlikely. That plastic bumper strip looks to be part of the front bumper design..aka integrated. and not a separate unit that you can mess with.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
Sigh...

the black strip is no more structurally sound as the FRS as both bumpers are made from plastic. As far as your question, very unlikely. That plastic bumper strip looks to be part of the front bumper design..aka integrated. and not a separate unit that you can mess with.
Guess we're gonna need a group buy on some JDM tuner bumpers...
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
EvoXDD (05-12-2013)
Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomy116 View Post
How likely is it that a simple aftermarket BRZ front grille mod will be available to replace the black plastic strip with a metal grill like the FR-S in the near future? I find the BRZ limited as pretty flawless...excluding the front fascia.....
If you happened to see my review of a dealer visit to a BRZ yesterday I would agree. That thing has got to go...it is fugly.
I reached up underneath and found it to be backfilled with a loose piece of styrofoam...but I didn't have the time to explore what was behind all of that. My assumption is that there's a structural member of some sort...although I hope not. If not it should be an easy replace...if so then it will need to be "covered"
I love everything about this car compared to the FRS EXCEPT that spot...I'm gonna hate having to replace the whole darn thing with an FRS bumper
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
If you happened to see my review of a dealer visit to a BRZ yesterday I would agree. That thing has got to go...it is fugly.
I reached up underneath and found it to be backfilled with a loose piece of styrofoam...but I didn't have the time to explore what was behind all of that. My assumption is that there's a structural member of some sort...although I hope not. If not it should be an easy replace...if so then it will need to be "covered"
I love everything about this car compared to the FRS EXCEPT that spot...I'm gonna hate having to replace the whole darn thing with an FRS bumper
You know an FR-S bumper is probably not going to directly fit because of the headlights....nobody has tried it yet.

I think the side fender piece on the BRZ is ugly too, but that is easily replaced.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Besides the bumper & mustache being one molded piece, removing the mustache will create an even bigger maw. We'll have to solve the aesthetic proportion aspect before getting the saws-all fired up. I for one don't want the front end to look even more like an Audi/Hyundai with their obscenely huge grilles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
Tristor (05-09-2018)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Guess we're gonna need a group buy on some JDM tuner bumpers...
Or forced to buy Wing's Aero kit
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
That plastic bumper strip looks to be part of the front bumper design..aka integrated. and not a separate unit that you can mess with.
I have to disagree. I think it can be snapped on/off. It'd be a manufacturing dilemma to have it integrated as one piece requiring it to be masked off to paint the bumper. Front grilles or black plastics on others car I've tinkered with were always secured by clips/screws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
You know an FR-S bumper is probably not going to directly fit because of the headlights....nobody has tried it yet.

I think the side fender piece on the BRZ is ugly too, but that is easily replaced.
I thought there was already a debate on the headlight fitment and we concluded that the way the bumpers wrap around the headlights (particularly the innermost corners of the headlights) are different but the shape of and the way the headlights mount are identical. It doesn't make business sense to manufacture the same looking headlights with 2 different mounting schemes. If they're going to make them different they would have made each distinct (like Levin v. Trueno).

Regarding the front plastic beam, you could carbon fiber wrap it or repaint to a metallic color or wait for aftermarket snap-on grilles to be made.

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-18-2012 at 01:06 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Alias
Resident Genius

Drives: Subaru Legacy GT, 1990 Geo Prizm
Couldn't you just paint it to match?

Cheap and dirty example with a bit of black on the inside of the lip to expand the opening visually:

Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Couldn't you just paint it to match?

Cheap and dirty example with a bit of black on the inside of the lip to expand the opening visually:

i didnt like the mustache till i saw it in real life... it really doesnt look that bad, the car looks better in real life... i was astounded...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
gt8613 (09-08-2013), Silverdub (03-31-2013)
Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
i didnt like the mustache till i saw it in real life... it really doesnt look that bad, the car looks better in real life... i was astounded...
Looks like a mouth guard to me...but it is not as bad in real life as it is in photos...especially the way Subaru has it lit in that photo...they have light shining directly on the darn thing...
I am 99% sure it is not a molded part of the bumper...it even has a different texture to it.
We'll know more when we get the chance to dig into it obviously

I wish I had taken a closer pic yesterday but these show how diff it is from the rest of the bumper
Attached Images

DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
I am 99% sure it is not a molded part of the bumper...it even has a different texture to it.
Sorry, the mustache, grille, and bumper are all one molded piece. I spent considerable investigative time looking at the front bumper cover for this very reason. You can clearly see the mask tape line for the paint, and the mustache texture is very simply molded-in. There's nothing stopping anyone from having a variety of surface textures for one part.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
racecaresuaceb (03-31-2013)
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Sorry, the mustache, grille, and bumper are all one molded piece. I spent considerable investigative time looking at the front bumper cover for this very reason. You can clearly see the mask tape line for the paint, and the mustache texture is very simply molded-in. There's nothing stopping anyone from having a variety of surface textures for one part.
Was this in person that you saw it? I'm not doubting you one bit, don't get me wrong. Just curious

I've seen some close up, high res photos of that area between the mustache and "colored" parts, and i could've sworn i saw some paint lines too. I'm asking because if what you're going off of is from online pictures (like me), then it's possible production brz's are different. If it's in person then i believe you.

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
Was this in person that you saw it? I'm not doubting you one bit, don't get me wrong. Just curious

I've seen some close up, high res photos of that area between the mustache and "colored" parts, and i could've sworn i saw some paint lines too. I'm asking because if what you're going off of is from online pictures (like me), then it's possible production brz's are different. If it's in person then i believe you.
It was in person. Look at the pics he posted from seeing it in person.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3992
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote