follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #43
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLove View Post

That aside, a supercharger is an intake air compressor run by the engine's pulley. A turbo is a type of supercharger in that it's an air compressor, but it's run by the high-speed exhaust gas flow, similar to how a turbofan jet engine spins its gigantic fan by spooling up a turbine from the exhaust. Come on, you guys should know this! I'm 16 and I know this stuff. And brakes, I would just replace the pads to reduce brake fade. I wouldn't track this car much nor would I drive like an idiot on the street. Just autoX, and for that, you need good pads.

As for the contest, 4th place is very respectable. I mean, to the pros, it's better than a Lamborghini. That's enough of a success for me.
whoa i got told by a 16 year old, when he grows up to learn that the world is a much better place when people don't make assumptions, he will have my respect.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #44
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
Good article and also not too surprised but was interesting to see the C63 number two, most car mags seem to hate on Mercedes performance cars.
Their AMG offerings have come a long way (versus them having oversized, inefficient, torque-biased engines in a car not meant to turn that well from +/-10 years ago), plus we're talking about the Black Series. Those were never slouches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewbj View Post
I am a little sad that a flappy paddle shifter car is the best drivers car. The Porsche is amazing, but I just wish that it had a real standard so it really was a "drivers" car.
But I bet that the manual transmission "drives" nearly the same through the corners.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #45
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
whoa i got told by a 16 year old, when he grows up to learn that the world is a much better place when people don't make assumptions, he will have my respect.
I wasn't making an assumption. I did try to help you out... I told you what they were. I didn't insult you, vilify you, or reprehend you. I genuinely thought you didn't know the difference between a blower and a turbo was. Sorry if I came across as a condescending arse.
SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #46
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Maybe Ferrari didn't have their usual ringer car available that day...
Hahaha oh nice jab

Seriously though, that's just bad business: Handing out a better-than-OEM Ferrari to journalists to over-hype and deceit the customer.

See: Chris Harris Ferrari Scandal.
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #47
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
Hahaha oh nice jab

Seriously though, that's just bad business: Handing out a better-than-OEM Ferrari to journalists to over-hype and deceit the customer.

That still doesn't change the fact that a Ferrari offers some of the most thrilling experiences you can have. I grew up wanting one, then when I got older I realized that I probably won't be a millionaire and won't get one but would be content with something else more attainable (i.e. M3 or 911 Carrera S), then I rode in an F430 Scuderia a few years ago, and threw everything out of the window... I still feel like I have to own one before I die.

Besides, it's not as if the "normal" cars accelerate like Corollas. I'm sure part of it is just Ferrari making sure that the cars are in optimum form for whichever review so it doesn't produce poor numbers that are far below the car's capabilities, hence igniting internet debates on how anti-Ferrari car enthusiasts (and kids who base their opinions solely on magazine numbers from one publication and don't know any better) label the car as "slow" and a big waste of money compared to [insert car] that is less expensive while accelerating faster.

For example, do you remember when the Evo X was first tested by magazines? The first batches had really bad tunes and were doing 0-60 in the 5s and quarter-miles in the high 13s if they were lucky, and all of a sudden people were saying that they were bloated pigs completely inferior to the Evo IX and, more importantly, the STI when it came to acceleration. The MRs were just as slow, if not slower. But when everything was fixed, both the GSR and MR were hitting 60 in the mid-4s and doing the quarter-mile in the low-13s.

Again, that's not to say that they are innocent of tweaking cars. But it's not like there is a night-and-day difference, plus other car companies have done that before.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
MiguelAE86 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #48
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAE86 View Post
Hahaha oh nice jab

I never actually read his rant before. Man that's some serious stuff. You always figured car companies did this but Ferrari seems really over the top if all that is true.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
MiguelAE86 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #49
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Damn...lambo last...lol
*sigh* Looks like I have to trade in my Lambo for a BRZ. IDK what to do with my other 3 Lambo's
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #50
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
4th place is honorable for me as we all know the BRZ will get better in time. 911 wasn't a shocker and deserved it. The fact that the BRZ is up there w/ optimized models like the C63 AMG and GT-R Black is amazing!
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #51
CSSM
Still Dreamin'

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe
Well I was trying not be spoiled before the magazine came..
CSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #52
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats - 4th is an impressive ranking, given the contenders.

Really surprised by the AMG ranking, otherwise, all makes sense.

ARGH -- makes me hungrier than ever for a more powerful version of this car! That's the major thing holding it back.

Really wonder where the Z would have fallen...
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #53
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
A 911 at the top? Not a surprise. A 911 Carrera? A bit of a surprise. The lower end 911s were dogs for a while. It's good to see Porsche getting back in the saddle.

The BRZ placing 4th is a huge accomplishment. A fraction of the price of the others and a fraction of the HP, but placed top middle and just off the podium. That's a win no matter how it's written.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #54
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Really wonder where the Z would have fallen...
The current 370Z probably would have been toward the end of the pack, but not necessarily in last place though. It definitely improved from the 350Z (more power and less weight is always a good thing) but I don't see it beating many cars in this comparison. I remember the car having been fun but not quite what I had expected from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
The BRZ placing 4th is a huge accomplishment. A fraction of the price of the others and a fraction of the HP, but placed top middle and just off the podium. That's a win no matter how it's written.
Yeah. It tends to happen that way, as I think their Best Drivers Car from a few years back had an Evo IX MR finishing fourth or so, behind the 911 GT3, Cayman S and one other car (maybe a Lotus?), though I remember a Z06 being toward the end of the pack.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #55
Soravia

Drives: Miata Club
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Driver's car comes with a DUAL-CLUTCH paddle shifter? Really? MT needs to stop drinking cool aid. They didn't even put in the LF-A (2012 model), Miata (no brainer) or the BMW M3.

If they put in the Cayman S in there, it would have wiped the entire field.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #56
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Driver's car comes with a DUAL-CLUTCH paddle shifter? Really? MT needs to stop drinking cool aid.
Like it or not, dual-clutches are the future. Making cars faster is always going to be a priority for manufacturers making sports cars. The sensation of shifting is fun but you can't really change how "fun" it is to go from first to second, while improvements made to cars can change how "fun" it is to steer, brake or throttle. (Don't get me wrong, I love shifting my car manually.)

Quote:
They didn't even put in the LF-A (2012 model), Miata (no brainer) or the BMW M3.
Most of the cars are new, have some noticeable upgrade over a previous model or haven't been tested in this competition before. The LFA is rather limited and probably wasn't readily available, the Miata has probably been tested before (and had already been in Motor Trend's comparison of cars under $28k) and the M3 is an outgoing model that is virtually identical to the first E92 M3 released.

Quote:
If they put in the Cayman S in there, it would have wiped the entire field.
I doubt that, but I'm sure it still would have had a solid podium finish. As I mentioned before, in a past test, the Cayman S finished second behind the 911 GT3. The current 911 Carrera S has made huge improvements and likely wouldn't get pummeled by the 997 GT3 around a track the same way a 997 Carrera S would, plus I'm sure that Porsche has done what they can (beyond putting a weaker engine in the Cayman) to distinguish the two cars, though obviously the upcoming Cayman might raise the bar further.