follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cosmetic Damage to car - devalue %?

I was curious and was wondering what others would share...

If someone cosmetically damaged their 86, lets say they hit a dear or hit the island in the middle of the road or hit a guard rail, how much would it devalue the car?

This is of course meaning, no frame damage and no chassis damage, no other cars were involved, no engine damage, just body/cosmetic damage. Does not hurt the driving integrity/performance/handling of the car - most of the car is thin sheet metal (or w/e) and hard plastic anyways right?

Would the car be worth shit after a $5,000 to $10,000 dollar body job?

Obviously depreciation comes into account naturally over time.

Thank you.

Last edited by forzajuve; 03-27-2014 at 02:58 PM.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
itisthumper

Drives: WRB BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Depends if there is any damage to the frame. With frame damage, the value should go down quite a bit.
itisthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
teamturbo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Depends on what a carfax says, which can be difficult to decipher when it comes to extent of damage. In my opinion, if you document the damage well, and it's simply cosmetic and not a major wreck, the devaluation should be minimal. The key here is to document the damage to show to a perspective future buyer what occurred.
teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teamturbo For This Useful Post:
Braces (03-27-2014), forzajuve (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Now you can see the true flaw of carfax...
continuecrushing (03-27-2014), forzajuve (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post

x a billion. So many people think that carfax has the little carfox mascot follow every car around and report EVERYTHING.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've been thinking this way for a long time too. But it's not really a problem with CarFax, just the way that people use that information. Most people don't consider that the data they use was obtained and entered by people as well, and mistakes can be made or that bias can be added subconsciously. It lets people put their guard down, when they should initially be wary of making any large purchase. Then they end up not doing their research and ultimately end up unhappy.

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuleas View Post
I've been thinking this way for a long time too. But it's not really a problem with CarFax, just the way that people use that information. Most people don't consider that the data they use was obtained and entered by people as well, and mistakes can be made or that bias can be added subconsciously. It lets people put their guard down, when they should initially be wary of making any large purchase. Then they end up not doing their research and ultimately end up unhappy.

Not the point.

They see that little accident sign, they run away. Even worse if you trade in a car, you'll lose an easy 25-50% value. I've seen it. Sure, you say to them sell private but a lot people don't have the time or patience to do so. It's a big headache to sell private if you're not a car person.

But, the good thing about carfax is that it makes some cars dirt cheap due to the accident, but it sucks for the seller...
86-tundra (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Not the point.

They see that little accident sign, they run away. Even worse if you trade in a car, you'll lose an easy 25-50% value. I've seen it. Sure, you say to them sell private but a lot people don't have the time or patience to do so. It's a big headache to sell private if you're not a car person.

But, the good thing about carfax is that it makes some cars dirt cheap due to the accident, but it sucks for the seller...
QFT. People will turn away if your car has any thing on the car fax. period. why? because there are plenty of cars out there without anything on their car fax.

car fax sucks, IMO.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
OrangeJuleas

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not the point.

I think the bigger issue is that when most people think of CarFax, they think of the commercials, which would lead you to believe that all people who have a mark on the CarFax report are lying, cheating thieves, when the fact of the matter is that a ton of things happen to cars on an everyday basis that might just be routine for that line of cars or even brand.

That's another reason I hate this TrueCar BS I'm seeing all over TV now. Be safe, have peace of mind, let someone else choose your car for you? What? Are people serious? I know there are people out there who don't care what they drive, but this is too far. It's like paying someone to buy all your clothes for you - you use it everyday but can't be bothered with showing even a little interest?

Again, I think it's just the collective distrust of others (but oddly, no distrust of large corporations) that is the biggest problem.

In any case @forzajuve, it will be hit or miss. I also recommend documenting the damage and repair work to the best of your ability and hope that the person that you eventually sell the car to considers you honest enough that you wouldn't lie to them. Be prepared to be bargained with, though. In the end, CarFax doesn't determine the price - you do.

I'm not insane, in fact I'm kinda rational, when I be asking y'all, "Where did all the passion go?"
OrangeJuleas is offline   Reply With Quote