follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
canceling extra warranty/road hazard/etc.

So when I bought my car i wasn't even thinking and let them sell me the roadside assistance, brake pad/tire replacement, etc. How the hell do I cancel this? I do not have a clue which number to call. My understanding is that I should get a prorated amount back.

Hopefully this is the right section, but since it is toyot specific it seemed like it would make sense.

Thanks
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
So when I bought my car i wasn't even thinking and let them sell me the roadside assistance, brake pad/tire replacement, etc. How the hell do I cancel this? I do not have a clue which number to call. My understanding is that I should get a prorated amount back.

Hopefully this is the right section, but since it is toyot specific it seemed like it would make sense.

Thanks
Read your contract.. Or contact the dealer who sold it to you..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Basket Case

I ran through it and did not see a number. Only numbers I can find are for assistance.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Griever423

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Usuaully you can get a full refund if you cancel it in a certain amount of time. Call the assistance number and they should sort you out.
Griever423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Just call your dealership and talk to someone in finance. They'll prbably need your account number to speed things up. Finance is responsible for stealing all the money they can from customers. Professional sales people are good at that, that's why they're not out on the floor selling the cars. You'll more than likely have to either go there and sign a cancellation or fax it to them. With Dodge I actually had to physically go there. Toyota(which was like 80 miles away) let me do it by fax.

Good luck
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 View Post
...Finance is responsible for stealing all the money they can from customers...
Just to hone this VERY true fact, the salespeople do their best to steal from you up front with the numbers you see on the sticker and such...The Finance people are the ones that come up from behind and bend you over for the longer term stealing.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
They tried to sell me a "Lifetime Wheel dent/scratch" repair/replace plan. An extended warranty, Underbelly coating. Roadside, brakes, etc. So ridiculous. ESPECIALLY on a vehicle that 90% of the owners are gonna modify then therefore nullify these extra options. If l do something to the car that's gonna give it a chance to break then that's my fault. Not goin after the dealer for MY actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Old 03-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
In some cases, if you ask to cancel within a certain period after the sale date you will get a refund check, but after this it must be applied back to the loan. At least that's what dealer said when I wanted to cancel something purchased at the time of sale.

I made the request a few months after that period had passed and was told it must be applied as a payment back to the loan. But, since I had refinanced through my credit union right after the sale, they couldn't apply it to the original loan and instead cut me a check.

I've also cancelled 3rd party extended warranties on used cars that were purchased through the dealer at the time of sale, (canceled a year later) and was provided a prorated refund check.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
In some cases, if you ask to cancel within a certain period after the sale date you will get a refund check, but after this it must be applied back to the loan. At least that's what dealer said when I wanted to cancel something purchased at the time of sale.

I made the request a few months after that period had passed and was told it must be applied as a payment back to the loan. But, since I had refinanced through my credit union right after the sale, they couldn't apply it to the original loan and instead cut me a check.

I've also cancelled 3rd party extended warranties on used cars that were purchased through the dealer at the time of sale, (canceled a year later) and was provided a prorated refund check.

This! Also same goes for Gap insurance. If you're upside down on the initial loan, get the gap. It raises the payment minimally. Within 18-24 months you should be right in line with the loan value of your vehicle. If you are, cancel the gap and you'll get a nice lil check. Same for extended warranties if you sell/trade a vehicle. Cancel the extended if you were still in it's extension period and you'll get a check as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Basket Case

I'll call the dealer. Sounds like the easiest ( as far as finding who to speak to at least) option. I don't know what i was thinking when I said ok to the extras. I bought the car knowing full well I intended to modify the car completely. I drive a ton being a sales rep and it sounded like a good idea at 11:00 at night on a Tuesday, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Basket Case For This Useful Post:
Mooseknuckle44 (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
In my case, I had the 5-year Windshield Replacement/Paintless Dent Repair/Key Fob Replacement plan for about 2 months before I totaled the car. They wouldn't even let me get refunded on it then ~_~ (although I did get the money back from insurance so I shouldn't really be asking lol)

On my second BRZ, I bought the extended warranty (6 years/100,000 mi) because they agreed to use the profits to pay off my interest so my 0.9% became 0%. Saved $600 on interest but ended up paying a net $1300 for the extended warranty...

Do I feel robbed? A little bit, but 0% sounded too good so I ended up putting $0 down and buying GAP cus, well, more money for mods (and investing)...

The question is... if I cancel the extended warranty, will I still get to keep my 0%? :p
Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What I don't get is why is it pro rated if you have never used it yet? For example, extra warranty, if I haven't yet used the extra warranty that I paid for, which will be in another 2 years from now, I should be able to get a full refund
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzajuve View Post
What I don't get is why is it pro rated if you have never used it yet? For example, extra warranty, if I haven't yet used the extra warranty that I paid for, which will be in another 2 years from now, I should be able to get a full refund
Because it is insurance. If you never use your health coverage can you ask fora full refund?

I remember the finance guy telling me i would get either a lower payment or a lower interest rate ( i can't remember which at this point) and it just didn't make sense at th time. i still don't understand how that was supposed to work...Either way, my bank is asking me to refinance it with them for half the interest rate anyways...
Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
Mossyjaw

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I cancelled my extended warranty about 4 months after I bought the car. I emailed the salesman and he told me just to come see the sales guy. It was after 90 days so they prorated it but it had only lost a tiny bit of value.

It was kind of weird sitting there while he refunded it. It took a while and he wasn't nearly as nice and talkative... He had a brz himself though so I didn't hold it against him.

Oh btw this was at a Subaru dealership so Toyota might be different.
Mossyjaw is offline   Reply With Quote