follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #253
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Draken View Post
I was not able to explain myself correctly. Most of the intake looks like they are providing an increase in power on stock tune, just because it makes the car run leaner.

If the car is tuned with the intake, the tuner has hopefully take in account it and tuned the car properly so mostly the increase will not be as strong as before when the car was not tuned and was running much leaner.

Except for maybe the injen intake they were within acceptable afr ranges....

What I am saying is that the gain is false. The only real way to know is, if it gains some power with the same afr or you tune both stock and the aftermarket intake to the same afr and power is made.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #254
_j_anthony
Daily Driven Expert

Drives: FR-S Monogram(BLACK)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unclear Info On Intakes...

After reading / researching intakes, I've come up with these possible options:

AVO - Nice but it's better to just jump right to a C.A.I. (Prob Not buying)

Air-Aid - Also nice system but loses power at top end, I don't drive at the top end. (This is my daily driver)
** My question is why has the price dropped so dramatically, and why is it listed as non-functional on 2014 models on other websites. Isn't the intake system exactly the same between 13' and 14'? **
It's listed at:
FT86speedfactory - $314.88
http://tinyurl.com/olwj3hu
Amazon OR eBay - $189.90
http://tinyurl.com/q4x2p3m
http://tinyurl.com/oxm87sp

Injen - Great, system good power gains!
I've found it listed for $255.89 - $294.99

P.S. I'm probably going to pick up the Injen but for some stupid reason I really like the look of the AirAid.
_j_anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #255
nashsnazzy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S White Out
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So is the AEM system just garbage? The Injen looks nice but some say the power is not there with the hood closed and I'm worried about bogging and leaning out the mix.
nashsnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #256
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsnazzy View Post
So is the AEM system just garbage? The Injen looks nice but some say the power is not there with the hood closed and I'm worried about bogging and leaning out the mix.
I saw 2 hp gain on AEM at dyno. Still run the thing today. Truthfully, if you take out the +/- 5 that dynos can have per run, it wasn't a gain at all. I didn't pay full retail for it, though. so I'm happy enough
Old 06-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #257
nashsnazzy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S White Out
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback @Celadrielas. It seems that all of these intakes either don't make enough power to fool with or have some sort of issue (injen).
nashsnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #258
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
This thread is full of fail......

The whole premise of using the stock tune with an intake is wrong.
It's obvious that the Afr changes are what affected the power curve.

I expected better from Drift office.
I would say your post is full of fail. Drift-Office is showing what intakes will do without a tune. That happens to be what most people will be doing. You really think the average owner will be dropping a couple hundred on a tune? Most people wont be doing that. The people with tunes usually are people who are regulars on this forum who know a bit more than the average owner.

Too bad that is what most people will be doing. Running a stock tune with most intakes.

Not everyone will be tuning their cars as most people who own this car will just be modding the cbe/intake to improve sound and leave it at that. Believe it or not, not everyone who owns an fr-s/brz post on these forums and you can bet a lot of people dont know as much as people on these forums and will just go with what they see in magazine and meets. Which is why you see so many people still buying Air Raid/Injen intakes and not knowing you need to tune it.

Air Raid intake loses power with the stock tune, with a tune it gets gains but not as much as you would with other intakes on the market. So technically it is still losing power as you could get much more with other intakes if the person does a little research.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote