follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Pablitomarrero

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DCT Motorsports Steering Wheel on 10 series FRS

Hey guys, finally got around to writing this review thread, been pretty busy at work and didn't get a chance for decent pictures.

A quick story on the steering wheel: I was surfing around car threads (the day after I preordered my 10 series- around april 3rd) and in a porsche car thread I saw someone talking about how awesome his new steering wheel was, how different it made his interiors look and especially how much better the steering sensation felt. He mentioned a company called DCT Motor Sports which I had never heard of before. So I did some poking around and came upon this :https://www.facebook.com/DCTMotorSports. Here I learned that the company custom makes these steering wheels to the customer's request. They work with around any color of CF and leather you could want and many wheel shapes also. I saw ferrari, lexus, porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, Mercedes... I remember thinking wow, these look sweet, if only a company would do quality work like this for cars in the lower end of the $$$ spectrum like ours. Lo and behold... as I continued to scroll... FRS!!!!! They had this BEAUTIFUL steering wheel with red carbon fiber and black perforated leather and flat bottom made on a OEM wheel frame, not yet mounted on a car. So I immediately proceeded to contact them via facebook to learn a bit more. About 2 weeks later I received a PM via facebook telling me to contact Ivan via his email: sales@dctms.com.

And so I did. He responded immediately telling me some more details about the steering wheel and told me that they were looking for a test mule but that they needed the right car. So I told them about the 10 series I has preordered and all the special features it had including the special color and the special run of only 2500 units. Ivan seemed pleased and asked me to contact him when my car arrived.

Too much time later I received confirmation from my dealer that the car had arrived (about a week ago finally)!!!

And so I contacted Ivan and within the hour I had a tracking number! The package arrived in 3 days! I picked up my car on saturday and Installed the wheel on monday, the same day it arrived. Installation was a breeze, it took my about 10 minutes and I have never installed a steering wheel before. i just followed these instructions http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...airbag+removal, pretty straight foward and foolproof. You will have to adjust steering position though (at least I had to), that's easy too. Just go to a calm neighborhood a drive in a straight line (easier if you have some kind of reference, like a white line on the road), then tighten the steering wheel nut. As I said, a breeze. And so without further delay, here are the pics:

The packaging is absolutely perfect and well protected. It comes with a thick foam protecting the carbon fiber and a cloth-type paper cover. As I unravel the packaging the AWESOME red shine came through:

As you can see its real carbon fiber, very well woven. The feel is absolutely spectacular. The CF portion has indents for your fingers and the fit for me is perfect.

The wheel has three portions of CF, one big one on top and two on the bottom "corners". Perforated, grippy leather on the sides that feel expensive and nice, perfect stitching that goes so well with the stock stitching around the cabin. On the sides you can see where the real grip is, you can see where your hand fits perfectly with little groves for your thumbs. I love the sensation of this wheel when I'm gripping it through corners!! It is also flat bottom so you can fit better...lol

Here is a comparison side by side of the stock vs DCT motorsports steering wheels. As you can see the stock is notably larger and thinner than the DCT motor sports. This gives the DCT motor sports steering wheel a much better feel and look than stock.

BEFORE

AFTER

I've got to say that this definitely gives a new, expensive feel to the car as well as improve the driving experience. I give this mod a A++

Highlights:
https://www.facebook.com/DCTMotorSports
Give Ivan an email at sales@dctms.com

Remember they work to order, so take a look at their work so you can have an idea of what you may want on your steering wheel! Hope you guys like it!

EDIT: more pics

Last edited by Pablitomarrero; 08-04-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pablitomarrero For This Useful Post:
Luis_GT (07-26-2013), Moto-P (07-26-2013), nix (07-31-2013), Obsidiank (07-26-2013), Roadliner (07-27-2013), SkAsphalt (07-26-2013), stockysnail (05-15-2014), supra2nv (07-27-2013), torqdork (07-26-2013), trigger happy (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks like a Bowling Ball now! Cool!
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
IgnitionGundam (05-15-2014), OICU812 (08-01-2013), suaveflooder (05-15-2014)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Anarchy Motive

Drives: GR WRX
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
That's a great looking wheel.

Very nice.
Anarchy Motive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Wondering if it is my crappy browser's fault, but where are the pics?
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
That is a really nice looking steering wheel.. I see their Porsche wheels range in the $1-1.5K range. Do you mind posting how much this was before shipping costs?
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Pablitomarrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
That is a really nice looking steering wheel.. I see their Porsche wheels range in the $1-1.5K range. Do you mind posting how much this was before shipping costs?
well, you really have to speak to Ivan because I had a special price due to being the mule lol, and pricing will change depending on what you want on the wheel
Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
According to dctms.com it's 699
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frstorm For This Useful Post:
Roadliner (07-27-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Pablitomarrero

Any other feedback is welcome lol!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I did not like how it looked sitting on your table, but those in-car shots are awesome. I think I might need to put this on my wishlist.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
fatpwr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't think I can drive around with a steering wheel that sticks out in color so much. lol. but it looks good. For the price I would've gone with something else though.
fatpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Pablitomarrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpwr View Post
I don't think I can drive around with a steering wheel that sticks out in color so much. lol. but it looks good. For the price I would've gone with something else though.
I was thinking the same thing at first but I found that it actually blended with the interiors of the car. If you look at it from the outside i looks awesome because it matches the seats very well! Im really picky when it comes to these things, but I really liked how it turnes out. Also, these guys, DCT motorsports work with all colors carbon fiber, the do black as well. All depends on your preference
The Following User Says Thank You to Pablitomarrero For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i'll stick with my sparco and quick release
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
fatpwr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablitomarrero View Post
I was thinking the same thing at first but I found that it actually blended with the interiors of the car. If you look at it from the outside i looks awesome because it matches the seats very well! Im really picky when it comes to these things, but I really liked how it turnes out. Also, these guys, DCT motorsports work with all colors carbon fiber, the do black as well. All depends on your preference
ahh. that's nice to know. from the pictures they look too much for me. i'll have to check them out.
fatpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Pablitomarrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpwr View Post
ahh. that's nice to know. from the pictures they look too much for me. i'll have to check them out.
Ill take better quality pics tonight and show you what I mean