follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear deck popping/clicking

So I've had my car in for it's first service and I took a mechnic for a drive so he could hear it.

Oh boy it was load that day which was good made it easy for them to identify the issue.

I need to make a booking for it to get fixed at a panel better and get a couple extra weld on the rear deck bulk head.

So if you have this issue take it to your dealer to get something done about
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Xauterus

Drives: GTS 86 Galaxy Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can you give us some more details of where they will have to add extra welds? Any pictures or sketches?
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Was the decision to send your car in for extra welding approved by TMCA at the very least, or was this simply your dealer suggesting you take it there to get it done? And yea did they give any specific instructions on where to weld? I wouldnt be sending mine anywhere for extra welding unless TMCA has specifically approved or received instructions from the factory on where and how exactly it should be done.

I think the only instruction given out to date with regards to dealing with this popping sound is via a TSB....and their suggestion fix was to spray silicone or something similar to a couple of welds back there. Note that this TSB was issued for the North American BRZ only, so I don't really know if this is a worldwide TSB. Either way this is more a temporary solution rather than a proper fix.

The TSB says that a countermeasure was introduced for the July 2012 production onwards....Im curious to know what the actual countermeasure was.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Nick26

Drives: Vs Commodore (86 GTS on order)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm a panelbeater by trade, and I'd be very, very careful mate, make sure toyota know about it, and have offered a solution, as any welding, especially on a car made from a majority of high tensile steel, can compromise the safety of that vehicle.

Heat treating anything in any car needs to be approved by the repairers handbook, because heating and cooling that steel will reset the molecules in the steel to a mild steel, instead of high tensile, which, in turn, weakens it, and reduces its load bearing ability significantly.
Nick26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
I'm a panelbeater by trade, and I'd be very, very careful mate, make sure toyota know about it, and have offered a solution, as any welding, especially on a car made from a majority of high tensile steel, can compromise the safety of that vehicle.

Heat treating anything in any car needs to be approved by the repairers handbook, because heating and cooling that steel will reset the molecules in the steel to a mild steel, instead of high tensile, which, in turn, weakens it, and reduces its load bearing ability significantly.
Toyota is the way saying it needs to be booked in.

They are organising it all i'm just telling them when they can have the car to complete the work.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Was the decision to send your car in for extra welding approved by TMCA at the very least, or was this simply your dealer suggesting you take it there to get it done? And yea did they give any specific instructions on where to weld? I wouldnt be sending mine anywhere for extra welding unless TMCA has specifically approved or received instructions from the factory on where and how exactly it should be done.

I think the only instruction given out to date with regards to dealing with this popping sound is via a TSB....and their suggestion fix was to spray silicone or something similar to a couple of welds back there. Note that this TSB was issued for the North American BRZ only, so I don't really know if this is a worldwide TSB. Either way this is more a temporary solution rather than a proper fix.

The TSB says that a countermeasure was introduced for the July 2012 production onwards....Im curious to know what the actual countermeasure was.
How do we find TSB for Australia?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The TSB can be found here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

Firstly, pls dont take this the wrong way, but I find it strange the way your dealer and/or Toyota are dealing with you regarding this problem. This popping sound has been very well known for awhile already, to the point that Subaru North America has acknowledged the problem and issued a temporary fix for it. Therefore if there was indeed a known way to properly fix this problem retrospectively for the earlier production cars, then I would have thought they'd release an updated TSB by now. But no.

Now, why are they taking your car away to "work on it"? They mentioned to you it needs extra welding....so have they already figured out something about fixing the issue that our north american friends and dealerships don't? Or are they taking your car in as a mule to figure out how to fix it?

If it was the former, then great, ask them what exactly they will be doing, and see if you can get them to give out details so you can share in here.

But if it is the latter, tell them to bugger off and use one of their own car as a test mule.

Sorry but I think you need to ask them more questions before they actually do anything to your car.

Last edited by Fizz; 02-01-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (02-01-2013)