follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Almost 15K on mine and no major problems. I have crickets, but I don't consider that a defect since it doesn't affect performance. I have also had the U0073 CEL problem from running Torque, but that's easily manageable. I had the weld joint clicking from the rear of the car, but either it fixed itself or I have grown immune to the sound.

My only disappointment is that I have a cracked windshield and some small dents in the hood from rocks slung up by trucks. Apparently the body panels on this car are made of tinfoil and the windshield is crystallized from sugar water. I'd like more durable paint, but I'm willing to live with what I have and just deal with repairs since a permanent fix would make it heavier.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Erci (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
JonnyRocket
"New hotness"

Drives: WRB Limited MT BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
My only disappointment is that I have a cracked windshield and some small dents in the hood from rocks slung up by trucks. Apparently the body panels on this car are made of tinfoil and the windshield is crystallized from sugar water. I'd like more durable paint, but I'm willing to live with what I have and just deal with repairs since a permanent fix would make it heavier.
This has been my biggest issue as well. This thing is a friggin' magnet for paint chips and rock dents. When I got mine I slapped down $800 for paint correction and Opti-coat. If I could go back, I'd have clear-bra'd the whole front end and hood instead. I really, really recommend clear-bra if you can swing it, this paint is just so freaking thin!

Replaced with a 2013 Mazdaspeed3!
JonnyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonnyRocket For This Useful Post:
Erci (06-30-2014), SirBrass (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
You mean it's because the BRZ is not a Corolla or Camry.

Plenty of $100k+ German cars that are far from perfect in terms of ownership.

I absolutely love my BRZ it's even more of a poor man's Porsche than my previous Golf GTI.
No, I mean it's not as solid as my Audi RS 6, which was a $100k+ German car when it was new (in today's dollars). I bought it 10yrs old for about the same price as the BRZ, but it still feels leaps and bounds more solid than the BRZ, expectedly so.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
No, I mean it's not as solid as my Audi RS 6, which was a $100k+ German car when it was new (in today's dollars). I bought it 10yrs old for about the same price as the BRZ, but it still feels leaps and bounds more solid than the BRZ, expectedly so.
What year is your RS6? To me VAG cars seemed a lot better built over a decade or so ago (just about everything for that matter going back the last 2 to 3 decades). It's hard to compare build quality from different eras regardless of price points.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
PHLonomenal

Drives: Whiteout 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I absolutely love my BRZ it's even more of a poor man's Porsche than my previous Golf GTI.
Agreed. It is extremely obvious they studied the shit outta the Cayman but beyond that there is some SERIOUS 240z, Miata and certain 2000GT DNA in this car. As well as some other coveted Japanese cars I neglected to mention.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erci View Post
Plenty of threads on here about minor (and some major) issues. But how about a "I have no problems, my BRZ is perfect!" thread?
Share your story.. as in "I've got xxxxx miles on my car.. still perfect.. still love it!"

I'm still waiting for my 2015.. and wanna read some positive stuff about these cars (besides how great they are to drive)

P.S. sorry if such a thread already exists.
I love my brz. I have an engine-back exhaust and an EcuTek tune from nelsmar, and she runs great! I have all the shifter mods (short shifter from kb, rear bushing, mount bushing, mTech springs, and light weight knob) as well, and motul gear 300 in the transmission, and 14k on the ODO. Bought her back in early November, and I think the stock tires are now starting to wear out a bit (or at least have their grip broken just a bit more often now).

I LOVE how this car drives. She's simply a joy to drive, even when I don't feel like driving I always enjoy driving this car.

She's a little (okay, more than a little) dirty at the moment, so she's going to get washed tomorrow, as I'm going on a date tomorrow and a clean car is part of a good impression (that, and I like my car to be clean-looking). So, that's a downside (black gets dirty SO quickly), but not much of one. The crickets aren't major, the exhaust purrs so nicely (thanks to headers, hfc + hemholz resonated fp/op, and invidia q300 cbe) and at just the right volume too. The throttle response is nice, and due to the tune, my gas efficiency on ACN91 has very much improved such that I don't need to drive like a total granny in order to hit 30mpg (though normally I get 28 mpg average over an entire tank, which is a 2-3 mpg increase from before I got tuned).

Sure I've gotten rock chips, and have already had the windshield replaced once (THANK YOU full auto-glass policy! no deductible!), but I plan on doing a full vinyl wrap eventually in order to change the color (color change plus original protection all in one!), so I'm no longer all THAT pissed about it. On black the rock chips aren't big enough to really affect the outward look of the car. You have to be inspecting the car for chips in order to then see them (that's when they stand out pretty glaringly).

LOVE LOVE LOVE this car! At this point in time with my STI, I was already wishing for a different car. But, like when I had my WRX, I'm still very happy to own this car. The honeymoon has faded, but the giddiness has been replaced by simple contentment.

I'm not trading this beauty in for ANYTHING (not even a really nice Cayman S) any time soon. She's perfect for me financially and automotively (if that's even a word).

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Erci (06-30-2014), Odd (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #21
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRocket View Post
This has been my biggest issue as well. This thing is a friggin' magnet for paint chips and rock dents. When I got mine I slapped down $800 for paint correction and Opti-coat. If I could go back, I'd have clear-bra'd the whole front end and hood instead. I really, really recommend clear-bra if you can swing it, this paint is just so freaking thin!
That's a problem with ALL new cars these days thanks to federal regulations on paint. The paint isn't so much thin as it's not very resilient b/c of the chemicals no longer allowed to be used in it.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #22
Natheria
Overlord

Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
when you say about the same price, is that before or after maintenance?
Natheria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Natheria For This Useful Post:
Erci (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #23
WuTangWindu

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Betty Blue has got 7.5k Miles and I have been away from her for 5 months. I can not wait to be reunited with her in a little over a month.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #24
roybotnik

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmm I'm trading my '08 997 turbo for a BRZ. BRZ feels more solid. On my Porsche I've spent $3500 on a clutch, $1000 to do spark plugs, $800 to install a $6000 exhaust system, $300 for a window seal. After all that, the shifter is sloppy as shit, the car bucks when going into gear, interior rattles and squeaks. All it really has going for it is the torque.

German cars are a heartbreakers. They are all incredibly flawed and the price of German plastic is staggering. This is after owning E55 AMG, M3, 911 turbo, etc...
roybotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roybotnik For This Useful Post:
Erci (07-02-2014), rapidcars (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
Turbowned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheria View Post
when you say about the same price, is that before or after maintenance?
Considering I don't have to modify it to be happy with it, and I've dumped about $20k into the BRZ to be happy with it, I'd say it's a real bargain! Maintenance has been very reasonable thus far. Insurance and fuel however, are another story.

Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #26
Natheria
Overlord

Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Considering I don't have to modify it to be happy with it, and I've dumped about $20k into the BRZ to be happy with it, I'd say it's a real bargain! Maintenance has been very reasonable thus far. Insurance and fuel however, are another story.

Hot damn, 20 grand!? I guess everyone has different parameters before they are satisfied but wow...
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
Turbowned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheria View Post
Hot damn, 20 grand!? I guess everyone has different parameters before they are satisfied but wow...
Yeah.... got a little out-of-hand quickly... I'm starting to think this: