follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine oil cooler install/mounting

Can someone give me some pointers/advice about using a universal kit vs. a kit with cut to length hoses, brackets, yet? Normally, I don't mind buying away a headache, but $350 for a bracket and hoses is pushing it.

Is it fairly easy to find a place to mount a heat exchanger? Also, is it fairly easy to tap into the hoses coming out of the factory in tank heat changer or do I basically need the sandwich plates?
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I bought a Perrin kit, but ended up mounting it myself, since the Perrin kit doesn't include mounting for the crash beam. I just used a couple of T-brackets, some self-tapping sheet metal fasteners and metal spacers. It ended up working out well enough.
GrandSport (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Yes, there are holes in the floor panel in front of the radiator where you can mount the cooler with no drilling required.

You are going to need an aftermarket sandwich plate as our cars don't come with one from the factory. I believe you'll also need a spacer that the sandwich plate sits on top of.

If you don't mind buying away a headache, I think the Racer-X unit is great at only $600 which comes with a Setrab 613 cooler. http://racerxfabrication.com/frs-brz...oil-cooler-kit
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
GrandSport (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
^ This, but get the 619 and top mount location.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
GrandSport (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Just get the Jackson Racing, which includes a sandwich plate that has bungs for additional sensors (e.g. pressure), and includes a 915 core.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
GrandSport (10-29-2018), Shark_Bait88 (10-29-2018), Tristor (10-29-2018), ZionsWrath (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My advice is don't mount to the plastic

I enjoyed my jackson racing NA cooler which mounted to the stock crash bar. It even survived a front end bump without a dent
Old 10-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
GrandSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Just get the Jackson Racing, which includes a sandwich plate that has bungs for additional sensors (e.g. pressure), and includes a 915 core.
That thing isn't cheap! I've got to get some camber plates and hood vents too.
I don't have nearly as much experience as you with these cars, but I have ot imagine that even a small EOC would be enough for a mostly stock engine. It's not like it's boosted or anything.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Just get the Jackson Racing one, it works exceptionally well and the installation was relatively painless considering. The sandwich plate and hoses it comes with is extremely well put together too. I'd trust it over anything I'd cobble together myself off Summit Racing anyway, which is why I decided to buy my headache away.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
That thing isn't cheap! I've got to get some camber plates and hood vents too.
I don't have nearly as much experience as you with these cars, but I have ot imagine that even a small EOC would be enough for a mostly stock engine. It's not like it's boosted or anything.
This is universal to any engine, but oil temps have zero relation to the actual output of the engine. Whether its stock, or supercharged with 800hp, oil temps remain about the same.

Engine RPMs will dictate oil temps, and as you've seen, this engine does rev higher than most LS/LT.

A V8 does put more stress on the oil temps, because you have more surface area being swept/cooled by the V8, essentially double the amount of surfaces, but that's why a lot of vettes have heat issues when driven hard, showroom stock!

Even with the 915 core, a fast driver pushing the car hard, will be at about the upper limit of what I'd be comfortable with in terms of oil temperatures.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
GrandSport (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
GrandSport

Quote:
This is universal to any engine, but oil temps have zero relation to the actual output of the engine. Whether its stock, or supercharged with 800hp, oil temps remain about the same.

Engine RPMs will dictate oil temps, and as you've seen, this engine does rev higher than most LS/LT

A V8 does put more stress on the oil temps, because you have more surface area being swept/cooled by the V8, essentially double the amount of surfaces, but that's why a lot of vettes have heat issues when driven hard, showroom stock!

Even with the 915 core, a fast driver pushing the car hard, will be at about the upper limit of what I'd be comfortable with in terms of oil temperatures.
I guess I'd just respectfully disagree here. Engine rpm is obviously a big factor- friction is a big contributor heat, but so is power output. Bigger engines tend to have more oil, more cooling (both external and through the block). Boosted engines really crank up oil temps too (plus, the intercooler).

If you drive down the highway at 55mph at 5k rpm for 20 min, your oil won't like it.
If you put a giant sail on your car and were WOT at 55mph for 20 min, you'd probably be buying a new engine.

Engine load is literally part of the calculations we did to determine appropriate heat changer sizes for every fluid.

As far as Corvettes- there are a number of reasons they have such high engine oil temps. Air inlet size, engine heat exchanger size, etc, etc. It's not just the oil either. Often, the coolant overheats before the engine oil. On the Z06 it's literally every fluid. That thing, especially pre 2017 with an auto, is an embarrassment and a disaster. A guy at the track with me was running neck and neck with me in a stingray overheating his 2018 (so much upgraded cooling) manual Z06. Complete joke.

Out of curiosity, what is your limit for comfort for engine oil temps?
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Quote:
I guess I'd just respectfully disagree here. Engine rpm is obviously a big factor- friction is a big contributor heat, but so is power output. Bigger engines tend to have more oil, more cooling (both external and through the block). Boosted engines really crank up oil temps too (plus, the intercooler).

If you drive down the highway at 55mph at 5k rpm for 20 min, your oil won't like it.
If you put a giant sail on your car and were WOT at 55mph for 20 min, you'd probably be buying a new engine.

Engine load is literally part of the calculations we did to determine appropriate heat changer sizes for every fluid.

As far as Corvettes- there are a number of reasons they have such high engine oil temps. Air inlet size, engine heat exchanger size, etc, etc. It's not just the oil either. Often, the coolant overheats before the engine oil. On the Z06 it's literally every fluid. That thing, especially pre 2017 with an auto, is an embarrassment and a disaster. A guy at the track with me was running neck and neck with me in a stingray overheating his 2018 (so much upgraded cooling) manual Z06. Complete joke.

Out of curiosity, what is your limit for comfort for engine oil temps?
Remember, the engine isn't oil cooled, and in particular, look at the relative temperature of each friction surface!

I generally will be careful at 250F, and would do a full stop at 260F.

My turbo car sits at about 235F max.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #12
GrandSport

Quote:
Remember, the engine isn't oil cooled, and in particular, look at the relative temperature of each friction surface!

I generally will be careful at 250F, and would do a full stop at 260F.

My turbo car sits at about 235F max.
It's not "oil cooled" but like it or not, more heat will transfer to it when you make more power. Also, there will be more heat from friction.

Maybe it's my cars, but I'm fine with engine oil temps below 275. 290 I stop (though, my GS never sees that). I have friends that run 300 all day (and some race teams do too).
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 AM   #13
CSG Mike

Quote:
It's not "oil cooled" but like it or not, more heat will transfer to it when you make more power. Also, there will be more heat from friction.

Maybe it's my cars, but I'm fine with engine oil temps below 275. 290 I stop (though, my GS never sees that). I have friends that run 300 all day (and some race teams do too).
Those are temps I'm comfortable with in other cars, but not this one.

Do your other cars run 0W20?

I would hope more heat is transferred *into the coolant* with more power. Friction is generated by surface area and velocity, with very low relation to actual output. Think about how much displacement a LS/LT has, vs displacement, vs coolant area, vs that of a FA20.

Another way to think of it, is that the LS/LT makes more heat due to the pure amount of area involved, with zero relation to the actual output.

Here's a great way to verify output, vs heat. Try cruising in your vette at 6000 rpm, at 70 mph. It takes very little output to maintain 70mph in the vette right? Being generous, maybe 20hp at most. Yet, that oil temp keeps creeping up...
Old 10-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Those are temps I'm comfortable with in other cars, but not this one.

Do your other cars run 0W20?

I would hope more heat is transferred *into the coolant* with more power. Friction is generated by surface area and velocity, with very low relation to actual output. Think about how much displacement a LS/LT has, vs displacement, vs coolant area, vs that of a FA20.

Another way to think of it, is that the LS/LT makes more heat due to the pure amount of area involved, with zero relation to the actual output.

Here's a great way to verify output, vs heat. Try cruising in your vette at 6000 rpm, at 70 mph. It takes very little output to maintain 70mph in the vette right? Being generous, maybe 20hp at most. Yet, that oil temp keeps creeping up...
To add to this the majority of the heat created by an engine is from combustion not friction. The larger the combustion chamber and the more fuel that is burned the greater the heat. If you are getting the bulk of your engine heat through friction you already have a huge lubrication issue!
strat61caster (10-30-2018)