follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #85
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Since I am taking the dissenting opinion here, I'll defend myself. You can view dealerships as you see fit.

Doing research on the NJ MVC site is .... well, worse than trying to navigate the California DMV site. Finally I've found a state worse than CA!

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio...erstanding.htm

The key part is this:

1) you bought a used vehicle
2) your car had a check engine light come on post-purchase
3) your car has mods

Here's what the grey area lies: does NJ require an inspection to transfer used car title? And does this inspection involve a smog test? And if so, does the inspection involve a visual test?

If you bought the car used, as-is, without any warranty implied other than manufacturer's warranty, you are on your own as far as any check engine light is concerned.

If you bought the car used with an expressed warranty provided by the dealer that you bought the car from (in addition to manufacturer's powertrain warranty), the dealer that sold you the car is on the hook for this.

So many = all? I have my fair share of good and bad experiences but I don't make assumptions going in.

I don't care to be PC but I do care to not pass judgment before I step in the door.

See my above response on whose responsibility it is.

Answer these questions:

1) Is smog check required as part of used car transfer in NJ? Does this involve a visual test as well as tailpipe? If so, non-approved mods may make the sale invalid as the dealer sold you a car that is not in compliance w/ smog laws.
2) If not, did you buy the car with mods "as-is"? If so, you are on your own if it does throw a CEL.
3) Is the dealer a Toyota/Scion dealership? If not, you will need to find a mod-friendly dealership and work with them on your issue.

If you want to fix on your own, 90% of the time an O2 elbow/extension will fix the problem. Or get a tune and the light will go away. Or just leave it and nothing happens.

-alex

"If you bought the car used, as-is, without any warranty implied other than manufacturer's warranty, you are on your own as far as any check engine light is concerned."

I doubt it. If NJ is like CA, it is ILLEGAL to tamper with, disable, or remove emissions equipment.

The "no testing for X number of years" is true in CA also, but it does NOT mean you can legally take off all your smog stuff and drive around for 4-5 years then you have to put it back on.

Also in CA, a private party can sell a car with all kinds of defects or problems and not be liable because he is assumed to not know anything about cars. Any DEALER is NOT excluded from that liability. He cannot claim ignorance if the exhaust system has been messed with.

Did you get like a super great price on this car, or you WANT the exhaust mods? If not you might want to take the car back to dealer. They sold you a car with illegal mods without telling you and the sale is void (or it would be in CA.)
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 AM   #86
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Man, I wish I lived close to you. I'll pay you good money to vacuum mine.

Lol how bad is yours? Pics pics
Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 AM   #87
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post

Lol how bad is yours? Pics pics
Too lazy to go outside right now but it's not too bad. Just a layer of thick dust will appear on your finger upon inspecting the dash and crevices. Inside of all the glass has not been wiped down. Rubber mats is somewhat caked with dirt. You'll probably get done in 30-45 minutes. If you also use a steam cleaner, it'll take a little longer.

I have not cleaned the interior since purchasing the car in June. Almost 8000 miles worth of DD, mountain driving, "desert-like conditions" driving, etc.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (10-20-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 02:30 AM   #88
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So uh... You guys pretty much answered all my previous questions / concerns, but even though I said I'm probably not going to worry about this until another year or two as I have three years until inspection...

Are you guys ready for some more uninformed questions that will probably make you want to bash your head in? :-D

If I swapped the OEM header and CAT back on - would I have to change the rest of the exhaust components as well (looks like ARK GriP)?

And / or if I didn't change the remaining exhaust components, would I still have the CEL issue?

(Don't mean to necro post, but I'd rather keep my dumb questions in one thread when possible so that it's an easy point of reference, and so that one day I can hopefully look back and laugh at how dumb I was ...)
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:48 AM   #89
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
So uh...

If I swapped the OEM header and CAT back on - would I have to change the rest of the exhaust components as well (looks like ARK GriP)?
No.
Quote:
And / or if I didn't change the remaining exhaust components, would I still have the CEL issue?
Maybe.
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aegisdrgn For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #90
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
So uh... You guys pretty much answered all my previous questions / concerns, but even though I said I'm probably not going to worry about this until another year or two as I have three years until inspection...

Are you guys ready for some more uninformed questions that will probably make you want to bash your head in? :-D

(Don't mean to necro post, but I'd rather keep my dumb questions in one thread when possible so that it's an easy point of reference, and so that one day I can hopefully look back and laugh at how dumb I was ...)
I think even if you had full exhaust it's only the header that would "need" changed for the CEL problem
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #91
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I think even if you had full exhaust it's only the header that would "need" changed for the CEL problem
So on paper you would think that a header swap would "fix" CEL, but then I guess the question becomes in order to pass an exhaust inspection (since that's ultimately what end goal would be) - would it still be recommended to swap CAT? And what about the other exhaust parts?

(If I had the OEM parts I'd just slap them all back on, but since I don't I'm really just trying to see if there's any way to minimize costs to meet inspection standards, if not, then to hell with it and I'll go back to the original plan of worrying / swapping in 2-3 years when inspection is needed...

At the end of the day I've read some conflicting reports on exhaust mod fines so even though there's no immediate concern I'm a little anxious is all...)
Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #92
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Man time really flies... I made this thread about 3 years ago / I'm approaching 3 years of ownership...

I am still intermittently getting the P0420 code - it usually comes on stays for a while and then leaves - but I feel as though it's been staying on longer recently and I'm anxiously waiting to see if it'll go away on its own again (could temperature have something to do with this?).

I''ll probably opt to go to a shop in the next month or two as I am up for inspection in December - but assuming no exhaust leaks and that the catalytic converter is fine (I haven't noticed any signs of either, no hissing noises, fuel efficiency seems fine, acceleration is fine) - what is there that I can really ask them to do aside from installing a spacer?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #93
Ashikabi

Quote:
Man time really flies... I made this thread about 3 years ago / I'm approaching 3 years of ownership...

I am still intermittently getting the P0420 code - it usually comes on stays for a while and then leaves - but I feel as though it's been staying on longer recently and I'm anxiously waiting to see if it'll go away on its own again (could temperature have something to do with this?).

I''ll probably opt to go to a shop in the next month or two as I am up for inspection in December - but assuming no exhaust leaks and that the catalytic converter is fine (I haven't noticed any signs of either, no hissing noises, fuel efficiency seems fine, acceleration is fine) - what is there that I can really ask them to do aside from installing a spacer?
Just get it tuned and turn that shit off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (08-28-2018), Impureclient (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #94
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
No issues with emissions tests after?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #95
Ashikabi

Quote:
You guys use a sniffer for smog? If I remember this thread correctly you bought a used car with headers on it? A sniffer will know if your cats are deleted. If they just check obd then you'll be fine since you won't have any codes. If you are gonna have to swap components for smog regularly, I suggest you learn to do it yourself or it's gonna get pretty spendy. And some shops may turn you away because of the legality of installing/swapping non street legal parts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (08-28-2018), Tcoat (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #96
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
You guys use a sniffer for smog? If I remember this thread correctly you bought a used car with headers on it? A sniffer will know if your cats are deleted. If they just check obd then you'll be fine since you won't have any codes. If you are gonna have to swap components for smog regularly, I suggest you learn to do it yourself or it's gonna get pretty spendy. And some shops may turn you away because of the legality of installing/swapping non street legal parts
A quick check shows that NJ stopped sniffer tests two years ago. A tune would be the answer for the code.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/tailpipe.htm
02.ACCORD.DUDE (08-28-2018), Ashikabi (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #97
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
If you have the OEM header on there, remember that you have an 80,000 mile extended emissions warranty. You can bring the car in to the dealership and get it replaced for free.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #98
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
If you have the OEM header on there, remember that you have an 80,000 mile extended emissions warranty. You can bring the car in to the dealership and get it replaced for free.

That's true, but at this point I'd think he might have the modding bug, might be well enough to just upgrade it and get the torque dip tuned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
A quick check shows that NJ stopped sniffer tests two years ago. A tune would be the answer for the code.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/tailpipe.htm
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just ask them to check the car out and tell them you've been getting the emissions code. Could be a bad O2 sensor or cat at this point or possibly last owner had a dodgy tune?

I personally would suggest you install a UEL header or EL header and get a OFT tune at this point. If as you said you still have the ark exhaust it may be pretty loud though, and require a different cat-back all together if you're worried about drone and attracting attention. But you'd, as someone else said, get rid of the emissions nonsense if your state doesn't do sniff testing a tune will hide the lack of CAT pretty well. Here in PA we do OBD-II inspection and "visual" inspection and mines past for the last 3 years
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (08-29-2018)