follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #127
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think the amount of shaming of other users with posts like this is ridiculous. I don't read the general discussion parts of this forum very often, but it seems like every time I do there's some guy struggling to come to terms with buying a slow ass car by word-vomiting some huge essay on how enlightened he is now that he's seen the light and realised that the 86 is absolutely perfect from the factory and how anyone that doesn't enjoy the car as much as he does is an idiot and doesn't "understand" the car.

That's cool and all, but there's no need to rip down other people to try and validate your own experience. Not to mention, shaming people for wanting to push the platform by modifying their cars heavily is totally counterproductive and hurts the community.

I *want* people to be disillusioned with how slow these cars are. Since we're comparing ourselves to the Miata community already, look what happened there: people were unsatisfied with how slow the miata is, which lead to a wealth of info on turbo miatas, and then later on lead to a wealth of info on ls1 miatas. This is a good thing.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SomeoneWhoIsntMe For This Useful Post:
airjonny (06-06-2014), PoorMansRacing (07-10-2014), strat61caster (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #128
UltramarineLuck

Drives: Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
I think the amount of shaming of other users with posts like this is ridiculous. I don't read the general discussion parts of this forum very often, but it seems like every time I do there's some guy struggling to come to terms with buying a slow ass car by word-vomiting some huge essay on how enlightened he is now that he's seen the light and realised that the 86 is absolutely perfect from the factory and how anyone that doesn't enjoy the car as much as he does is an idiot and doesn't "understand" the car.

That's cool and all, but there's no need to rip down other people to try and validate your own experience. Not to mention, shaming people for wanting to push the platform by modifying their cars heavily is totally counterproductive and hurts the community.
FYI, none of this is being done in the OP, or really anywhere else in the thread. The point of the thread is to offer a different perspective than what one traditionally finds on forums like this - for the FT86 or for any platform - where people come to rave about how much they love it or blast it for the problems they have.

The TL;DR for the OP is simply this: If you're considering buying the car as a canvas for aftermarket modding, you may want to consider your total budget and go with a different platform with no modding, as it may provide a better experience and cause fewer headaches (especially if it's going to be your one and only, or your daily driver). That's it. No shaming for modding, no shaming for enjoying the car stock, just a different perspective on a certain scenario.

Quote:
I *want* people to be disillusioned with how slow these cars are. Since we're comparing ourselves to the Miata community already, look what happened there: people were unsatisfied with how slow the miata is, which lead to a wealth of info on turbo miatas, and then later on lead to a wealth of info on ls1 miatas. This is a good thing.
This is already happening, by-and-large. This option is for some people, but it is not for everyone. Some guys who have done this are already looking to sell as they're just unhappy with the car (including a guy in our club in Atlanta who makes 410hp at the wheels ). It's just the nature of aftermarket modding.
UltramarineLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UltramarineLuck For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #129
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
LOLWUT

This is literally the only decent Scion in existence, and it is a Toyota in the rest of the world.

The scion tC is a great car. Its on a very capable chasis. You can nay say all you want, but how many Honda's do you see in d1?

And becauses of the chasis, the tC is a competitive time attack car.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #130
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Fair enough, I was just trying to make a broader statement in relation to this as well as some of the other rhetoric I've seen in the forum. There was a similar discourse that made it to the front page of the site a week or so ago, wasn't there? It seems like there's plenty of sentiment on the forum like that.

I was trying to look up swap info on here, and if there weren't a half dozen completed cars running 2JZ's already, I would have thought it was totally impossible based off the forum posts about it on here.

It's interesting seeing all of this play out, though. Seems pretty similar to the WRX/STi.

Great car on paper, certainly enjoyable to drive in stock form, but once you start modding it and driving it how it was meant to be driven, you're tempting fate. Lots of people get drawn in by the looks, power, etc, and buy into the hype then tons of money in mods and a spun bearing later they cut their losses and move on to an Evo.

Seems to be the same deal here. You get drawn in by the handling, looks, and hype, then unless you can deal with the car stock or you've got the tenacity to deal with modding it heavily, you move on to a similar car in the same segment.

Now I realise I've pretty much restated your OP, heh.
The Following User Says Thank You to SomeoneWhoIsntMe For This Useful Post:
UltramarineLuck (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #131
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
The scion tC is a great car. Its on a very capable chasis. You can nay say all you want, but how many Honda's do you see in d1?
D1? Not sure. But Forumla D, on the other hand... that tC is cheating, flat out. That car represents everything that's wrong in FD. The rules are super restrictive against privateers, but then they grant exemptions on a case-by-case basis, and works teams backed by big companies that sponsor the league heavily are allowed to race dumb shit like that.

edit: @Sideways&Smiling every Scion is a Toyota everywhere else in the world. hell, until somewhat recently, every Lexus was a Toyota in Japan.

Last edited by SomeoneWhoIsntMe; 06-06-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #132
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

And becauses of the chasis, the tC is a competitive time attack car.
What the hell does D1 have to do with anything? Newsflash: Drifting is drifting, not real racing. What RWD cars from Honda are available? Let's see...... the NSX and S2000, both of which were made to have a ton of grip and quick rotation due to weight balance and engine placement. They aren't meant for drifting, and that's why they aren't used. How does that relate in any way to a factory FWD Scion tC?
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #133
FRSoxfan

Drives: 2007 Lotus Exige S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Recently traded my FRS in I agree with OP. It was a great car, I fell in love with it right away. However, as time passed I felt that it just didn't have the get up and go I had wanted. Did the headers, catback, intake, cat delete, stage 2 tune and e85 and was still just a little disappointed. OP made a great point about putting crazy money into mods to get what you want. It's honestly more effective to just get a car (if it's financially feasible) that is a class above with all the "mod" money you were going to spend. I traded in the FRS and did just that. Couldn't be happier. That being said, I do miss the FRS, and am not badmouthing it one bit. Just wasn't everything I needed.
FRSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSoxfan For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-06-2014), UltramarineLuck (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #134
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSoxfan View Post
Recently traded my FRS in I agree with OP. It was a great car, I fell in love with it right away. However, as time passed I felt that it just didn't have the get up and go I had wanted. Did the headers, catback, intake, cat delete, stage 2 tune and e85 and was still just a little disappointed. OP made a great point about putting crazy money into mods to get what you want. It's honestly more effective to just get a car (if it's financially feasible) that is a class above with all the "mod" money you were going to spend. I traded in the FRS and did just that. Couldn't be happier. That being said, I do miss the FRS, and am not badmouthing it one bit. Just wasn't everything I needed.
Of course, the other option is always to go with a used car and mod that....... much more cost effective than buying a brand new car to mod right away.

It's hard to argue with a Lotus though. haha. How much did you pay for the Exige?
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #135
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Seems to be the same deal here. You get drawn in by the handling, looks, and hype, then unless you can deal with the car stock or you've got the tenacity to deal with modding it heavily, you move on to a similar car in the same segment.
Curious why you've eliminated the middle ground of modding it moderately and enjoying driving it as it was meant to be driven. I've done very minor mods to mine (Perrin CBE, tires/wheels, brake pads, fluid) and am enjoying the hell out of it, especially on track.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #136
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Curious why you've eliminated the middle ground of modding it moderately and enjoying driving it as it was meant to be driven. I've done very minor mods to mine (Perrin CBE, tires/wheels, brake pads, fluid) and am enjoying the hell out of it, especially on track.
You're right, I should have said "stockish"
Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #137
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
You're right, I should have said "stockish"
Ah got it.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #138
FRSoxfan

Drives: 2007 Lotus Exige S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Of course, the other option is always to go with a used car and mod that....... much more cost effective than buying a brand new car to mod right away.

It's hard to argue with a Lotus though. haha. How much did you pay for the Exige?
45K, that's kinda why in my post I said (if financially feasible) lol. It worked out pretty well. Had the FRS paid off, got 23k for it, put that down and a little more. Payments are under 300 a month.
FRSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSoxfan For This Useful Post:
UltramarineLuck (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #139
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
D1? Not sure. But Forumla D, on the other hand... that tC is cheating, flat out. That car represents everything that's wrong in FD. The rules are super restrictive against privateers, but then they grant exemptions on a case-by-case basis, and works teams backed by big companies that sponsor the league heavily are allowed to race dumb shit like that.

edit: @Sideways&Smiling every Scion is a Toyota everywhere else in the world. hell, until somewhat recently, every Lexus was a Toyota in Japan.
do you know the rule set for fd? The tc can compete because it's built on an awd platform. Not because of deep pockets
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #140
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Quote:
do you know the rule set for fd? The tc can compete because it's built on an awd platform. Not because of deep pockets
That may be true, but the avenesis rear subframe swap is ridiculous when privateers aren't allowed to swap between s13/s14/s15 rear subframes.

Hell, the original tC was on mk4 supra subframes or some shit with ridiculous firewall mods and that made it past the judges for a half season until another team protested it.

FD rules/judging in a nutshell: