follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Audi! Audis look amazing, much better than BMW/Benz IMO. Although they have dismal reliability I hear.
Yeah I like Audis the best as well out of the German cars. That new RS3 looks very nice, even if it is pricey. While the Audis have a great Quattro system, they still suffer from understeer and being overweight.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Archer256

Drives: TSX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My problem with Audi is this -
you're design is nice but...WHY do all your cars look the same? And A5 is an A4 minus 2 doors, you see what i mean? There's nothing unique about getting an A5 or an A4 making them distinct from one another or any other car in the lineup. BMW has the same problem now.
Archer256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
f1ver
Banned

Drives: lexus gs300
Audis are expensively overpriced, huge, heavy, and break down. and, i'm just gonna say it out loud: the sideblade on the R8's are stupid. other than that, yeah nice cars... i won't turn you down if you give me one
With my own money though, I'd rather get something like this, or the subaru or lexus version, anyway...
f1ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer256 View Post
My problem with Audi is this -
you're design is nice but...WHY do all your cars look the same? And A5 is an A4 minus 2 doors, you see what i mean? There's nothing unique about getting an A5 or an A4 making them distinct from one another or any other car in the lineup. BMW has the same problem now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1ver View Post
Audis are expensively overpriced, huge, heavy, and break down. and, i'm just gonna say it out loud: the sideblade on the R8's are stupid. other than that, yeah nice cars... i won't turn you down if you give me one
With my own money though, I'd rather get something like this, or the subaru or lexus version, anyway...

They are ugly... but they're fun to drive! Lol. I owned a 09 TTS. Was fun for the time being. I agree with looks though. :>

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
WHAT? UGLY? O_O
Audis all look the same...because the design is that badass!
A5 and TT are particularly nice, the backside is done so well!
Can't believe you don't like it
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #20
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Yeah I like Audis the best as well out of the German cars. That new RS3 looks very nice, even if it is pricey. While the Audis have a great Quattro system, they still suffer from understeer and being overweight.
I only love with Stuttgart based Porsche and Munich based BMW.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Why would the Lexus version need to be a 4 door? Lexus IMO desperately needs a 2-seater coupe/roadster a la BMW Z4/Benz SLK/Audi TT.

Chop the top, pimp the interior and give it's own (Hopefully still beautiful) look. Turbo 4 for the base engine, supercharged 2GR for the F version. Keep it under 3000lbs n it's golden.

Make it happen Lexus. I think this is one Toyota where no one would complain if you shared it's genes.

p.s. Guys, The IS is based on the GS platform and most likely will continue to be. It is small enough as is, and it's not likely to get any smaller, plus Lexus needs to amortize costs for the GS platform, so you know.... GS, IS, next gen SC, Mk X, Crown as usual.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #22
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It doesn't have to be a 4 door, I was just referring to those stupid best car rumors. If they lengthened the platform a bit, threw in a boxer 6 you'd have an sc300 revival, badge it a Toyota and you'd have a supra! This is just wild speculation at this point though.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
DRACHENV6

Drives: tata nano
I think that the IS (even the IS-F) series lacks the power to weight for drivers to take them seriously. I think Lexus should design lightweight/reliable/luxury sedans that are true competitors.

They need an M3 killer priced at 40k, and an M5 killer at 55k. Highly reliable cars (not boats on wheels-ls460) with numbers worthy of a flagship brand. Wishful thinking, but I think thats what itll take to achieve market dominance.
DRACHENV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
It doesn't have to be a 4 door, I was just referring to those stupid best car rumors. If they lengthened the platform a bit, threw in a boxer 6 you'd have an sc300 revival, badge it a Toyota and you'd have a supra! This is just wild speculation at this point though.
Not quite, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACHENV6 View Post
I think that the IS (even the IS-F) series lacks the power to weight for drivers to take them seriously. I think Lexus should design lightweight/reliable/luxury sedans that are true competitors.

They need an M3 killer priced at 40k, and an M5 killer at 55k. Highly reliable cars (not boats on wheels-ls460) with numbers worthy of a flagship brand. Wishful thinking, but I think thats what itll take to achieve market dominance.
The GS F is coming, The IS F is a great 1st attempt. The prices you ask for are unrealistic. Lexus is recognized as a true premium brand and you can option an IS350 to close to $40k. No way you are gonna get a new IS F for that.

The LS460 is an excellent car for what it was intended for, and it would be stupid to try and make it a sports car (Forget that the Sport trim package is actually quite competent and drives as good as if not better than a BMW 750i).

Lexus is the #1 selling Luxury car marquee in America... for more than a decade... did you not get the memo?

p.s. FYI, most of Lexus cars are the lightest in their competitive segment. The IS350 when it debuted was also the most powerful as was the 2nd gen GS400.

the competition has upped their game, but I think in most (not all) cases, Lexus does quite well.

Anyway, back ot the topic at hand.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #25
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
I think it would be cool if they made a Lexus version with a hardtop convertible.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
DRACHENV6

Drives: tata nano
I understand what you are saying, and Im not knocking the lexus or the IS ( I fell in love with the ISF when it released). I believe that lexus is able to get away with lower performance standards because of brand loyalty from people like you and me. We replaced a ls400 with an ls460, and it was a huge disappointment, though the is250awd was ok. I think Lexus needs to up their innovation if they want to keep a loyal base.
DRACHENV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #27
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
They already made that, it's called a 2003 Subaru Legacy. Seriously people, there is no "FT86 platform". It's a chop-top, short wheelbase current generation Impreza, which is a chop-top, short wheelbase previous generation Legacy. It's a good platform for the FT because it saves Toyota a crap ton of design work, and the tooling already exists and is no longer being used. Both of these things reduce costs, enabling a lower selling price, and if the car isn't as refined as it could have been nobody will mind because hey, it's a sports car. But it is not up to the standard that people expect of a Lexus, nor to the standard that Toyota expects.

I just don't see it happening, not on the Legacy platform.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
Archer256

Drives: TSX
Realistically Lexus will never base anything off the ft-86, they already get crap from ppl for being rebadged Toyota's (ignorant statement but nonetheless it is something a company has to be mindful about when designing cars) Not only would they share the ft-86 with scion/toyota but subaru as well and that is a BIG N.O.

SC will be revived but it's gunna be on Lexus's own terms. Only reason why ft-86 chassis would get streteched would be for IS, which is usually based on the GS. BUT at the same time if you think about it the IS is carving out it's own name - i mean it is considering the japanease 3 series and IS-F the M3, Lexus may decide to make IS it's own entity with some similar elements from GS
Archer256 is offline   Reply With Quote