follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Site Announcements / Questions / Issues

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FT86club Mobile App

So iv been talking with some mobile app developers doing some stuff with blackberries and android OS and wanted to get a consensus.

My plan was to develop a FRS/BRZ owners app that gets connected with other BRZ and FRS owners to share news, blogs and data, While having the FT86club the root host of the app.

-Getting a FT86club mobile look for those forum users on the Go.

-Also offering OBDII usb connectivity, and log economy and performance to share with others via forums by a click of a button.

Some things im considering -
-GPS in-app that lets you see other FT86club mobile app users in your area as long as they turn on the feature for you to see them.
-Personal Garage data
-User Profile for personalization

Depending on the extent and complexity of the app I want to offer it at around $3.00-$5.00.. but if its simple enough for just the average forum user, id put it on the market for free.

Would you buy it? Is it worth connecting with other BRZ/FRS owners on the Go? What features would you like to see on an app like this to make it worth your money.

Thanks!

-Josh
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Idk if id pay for it considering my phone has a perfectly capable browser. But im interested.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd pay five bucks for it. Hell I'd probably pay $10. Lord knows this forum has halfed my work productivity anyway .

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
I'd pay five bucks for it. Hell I'd probably pay $10. Lord knows this forum has halfed my work productivity anyway .
+1

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
So iv been talking with some mobile app developers doing some stuff with blackberries and android OS and wanted to get a consensus.

My plan was to develop a FRS/BRZ owners app that gets connected with other BRZ and FRS owners to share news, blogs and data, While having the FT86club the root host of the app.

-Getting a FT86club mobile look for those forum users on the Go.

-Also offering OBDII usb connectivity, and log economy and performance to share with others via forums by a click of a button.

Some things im considering -
-GPS in-app that lets you see other FT86club mobile app users in your area as long as they turn on the feature for you to see them.
-Personal Garage data
-User Profile for personalization

Depending on the extent and complexity of the app I want to offer it at around $3.00-$5.00.. but if its simple enough for just the average forum user, id put it on the market for free.

Would you buy it? Is it worth connecting with other BRZ/FRS owners on the Go? What features would you like to see on an app like this to make it worth your money.

Thanks!

-Josh
we are all about to buy a 25k+ car we can afford a 5 dollar app, infact, you get 10,000 people to buy, you got yourself 2 new brz/frs lol.... use the money to mod and share your progress i say if you want it to go back into the community with 50k you can break a few trannies and engines and let us know whats too much boost for stock internals and drive trains

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
we are all about to buy a 25k+ car we can afford a 5 dollar app, infact, you get 10,000 people to buy, you got yourself 2 new brz/frs lol.... use the money to mod and share your progress i say if you want it to go back into the community with 50k you can break a few trannies and engines and let us know whats too much boost for stock internals and drive trains
I know most of us can afford a 5 dollar app. Question really is...is the app worth $5. If it has no functionality beyond accessing forums, no more accessible than using a browser. Then I cant justify having anyone pay anything for it. It would need to be free. But whats the fun in that?

I want to take connectivity to the next level, and be worth your time to actually use my app.

Im just gauging the interest.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My 2 cents:

I would be interested in being able to follow news, blogs, forum threads and data from FT86club using a moble app and would download it but I would not be willing to pay for it. It would also be great if you could incorporate access to TSB's or at least a list of TSB's as I am sure the cars will have some kinks we will all want to know about. Perhaps you could develop a service schedule in the app, for quick reference. For example I am at my 85K service and was thinking it would be cool if there was an app that told me what I need to do at 85K as opposed to having to dig into my glove box to get out the actual book. The maintenance schedule could also have a notes section so you could document for example; chnged oil with 5W-20 full snth + filter, replaced serp belt, rotated tires etc etc. That would be really fun and useful to yourself and future owners of your car to see the entire maintenance history.

I also would not be interested in sharing my location or seeing where others are. Overall though the idea of an app is
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
DIG1992

Drives: 2002 Acura TL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would buy the app even though i have easy access on my smart phone.
DIG1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
My 2 cents:

I would be interested in being able to follow news, blogs, forum threads and data from FT86club using a moble app and would download it but I would not be willing to pay for it. It would also be great if you could incorporate access to TSB's or at least a list of TSB's as I am sure the cars will have some kinks we will all want to know about. Perhaps you could develop a service schedule in the app, for quick reference. For example I am at my 85K service and was thinking it would be cool if there was an app that told me what I need to do at 85K as opposed to having to dig into my glove box to get out the actual book. The maintenance schedule could also have a notes section so you could document for example; chnged oil with 5W-20 full snth + filter, replaced serp belt, rotated tires etc etc. That would be really fun and useful to yourself and future owners of your car to see the entire maintenance history.

I also would not be interested in sharing my location or seeing where others are. Overall though the idea of an app is
1 you car will tell you when you need maintenance, keep you maintenance manual in your car, i do... or make a posted note"at 50k miles please service me,love you, your 86 <3..."
2 why not pay for an app someone has spent a lot of time developing, $5 thats 1/5400th of what you are paying for the car, a whopper, pack of cigs, you wont miss it... or make it a dollar, having people on it using the app will keep the app alive, plus free apps have advertising and i hate advertising..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
I know most of us can afford a 5 dollar app. Question really is...is the app worth $5. If it has no functionality beyond accessing forums, no more accessible than using a browser. Then I cant justify having anyone pay anything for it. It would need to be free. But whats the fun in that?

I want to take connectivity to the next level, and be worth your time to actually use my app.

Im just gauging the interest.
its an enthusiasts car, all of us will be making mods, and the most curious question after a year or two, "how much power does this/that make" instead of on the forums it would be right on the app, there could be a list built with whp gains next to it, it would force companies to make better products because there would be raw data out there i for one dont mind spending 1200 on a nice exhaust set up, but if ive got 3 different exhausts to choose from but one makes 8 whp more than the others, the i could easily justify what company to give my money to...

it would need:
chat
mod list(with dyno sheet and gains/losses)
friends list
customizable profiles
ability to tag/geo tag on facebook/twitter/what ever you use
calendar of events
ect
ect

google map:
real time location with gps(on/off)
dyno shops
performance shops
collision centers
car meets(peresent and future)
OMG IM OUT OF GAS SOMEONE HELP ME!(lol)
ect
ect

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The GPS feature would be cool, but I don't see anyone using it unless it was free. Could an ad supported one be feasible?
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
The GPS feature would be cool, but I don't see anyone using it unless it was free. Could an ad supported one be feasible?
i really wanna rage on you, people like you make restaurant server's life hard. When i used to work at restaurants, your the 3 dollar tipper when you got a 100 dollar tab...

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
why not pay for an app someone has spent a lot of time developing,

Because I'm not a charity, there are usually free ones that do exactly what I want with minimal ads, and I'm not gonna sugar coat my opinion. If Wings is going to spend a lot of money and time on an app he needs real honest opinions, not overly exuberant people caught up in excitement. Sorry but I just wont pay for it.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post

Because I'm not a charity, there are usually free ones that do exactly what I want with minimal ads, and I'm not gonna sugar coat my opinion. If Wings is going to spend a lot of money and time on an app he needs real honest opinions, not overly exuberant people caught up in excitement. Sorry but I just wont pay for it.
sorry im raging tonight , my reasoning on it is, someone tried to do the same thing and it failed miserably because it was free and no one used it, to ones worth it was free, didnt have any fiscal value

now lets say if its priced at .99 cents, then it now has monetary value, people tend to use things more when it actually costed them something to get something...

its just like getting lucky

free tail, you might hit it once or twice then your done with it
now tail that you took out to eat, movies, shopping; your going to want to be around more often and its mainly because you invested a part of yourself into it...

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
i really wanna rage on you, people like you make restaurant server's life hard. When i used to work at restaurants, your the 3 dollar tipper when you got a 100 dollar tab...
I understand your rage, $3-$5 is definitely a small price to pay for a great app. However, I just don't see the map function being useful unless every FR-S/BRZ owner used it. ANY price of an app will deter consumers- even if it was $.99. I say make the app $6-10, but give forum members a promo code for a cheaper price ($3-5). I'm not sure if the (itunes) app store allows for promo codes, but it would definitely spark some interest!
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote