follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
TimmyC

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 View Post
WORK WORK WORK!!!!!

even if its just a couple hours a week, the extra cash will help!

or apply for a credit card and put yourself in dept with it
Haha I already got a credit card but I have been using it like a debit (paying it off once the transaction is posted). Only $500 limit though -.-
TimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #16
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Always try to find time to work. Even if it's a couple hours a week. Every cent counts when it comes to anything. I am working a 40 hour job and going to school at the same time. I just go straight from work to school and then from school to gym and then home and sleep. Really busy schedule but I get the weekends completely free to spend time with the GF.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (09-21-2015), Tcoat (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Always try to find time to work. Even if it's a couple hours a week. Every cent counts when it comes to anything. I am working a 40 hour job and going to school at the same time. I just go straight from forum to work to forum to school and then from school to gym and then home and forum and sleep. Really busy schedule but I get the weekends completely free to spend time with the GF.
FIFY (not a criticism more of a congrats)
soulreapersteve (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #18
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Always try to find time to work. Even if it's a couple hours a week. Every cent counts when it comes to anything. I am working a 40 hour job and going to school at the same time. I just go straight from forum to work to forum to school and then from school to gym and then home and forum and sleep. Really busy schedule but I get the weekends completely free to spend time with the GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
FIFY (not a criticism more of a congrats)
I just happen to get bored and distracted while at work and school. Most of my classes allow me to have my laptop. So I sit in the back of class
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #19
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Life doesnt really get good until 24+ anyways you'll be much happier having done well for yourself now when you own a house and have a good job making plenty of money to blow on stupid stuff all you want.

You'll be set and as long as you dont mess up your job you can basically do whatever you want.

It's obviously much easier to say this being older now as I squandered almost all of my time on dumb stuff when I was younger. Im just getting to the point where Im comfortable where I am currently at 27yo and wish I had been as well off when I was in my early 20's. My cars would have been much nicer lol

But in response to your working in college ordeal. I worked as a delivery driver while full time in school a few years ago. Picked a wealthier area to get a job as a delivery driver and did pretty well for only working 3-4 shifts a week. Try to get a flexible serving job for 3-4 nights a week or something. Shouldnt be too hard to manage.

Last edited by KevinK121; 09-21-2015 at 04:41 PM.
KevinK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #20
HachiEnam
UCSB!!!

Drives: 2017 GTI sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post
Life doesnt really get good until 24+ anyways you'll be much happier having done well for yourself now when you own a house and have a good job making plenty of money to blow on stupid stuff all you want.

You'll be set and as long as you dont mess up your job you can basically do whatever you want.

It's obviously much easier to say this being older now as I squandered almost all of my time on dumb stuff when I was younger. Im just getting to the point where Im comfortable where I am currently at 27yo and wish I had been as well off when I was in my early 20's. My cars would have been much nicer lol

But in response to your working in college ordeal. I worked as a delivery driver while full time in school a few years ago. Picked a wealthier area to get a job as a delivery driver and did pretty well for only working 3-4 shifts a week. Try to get a flexible serving job for 3-4 nights a week or something. Shouldnt be too hard to manage.
Wait what happens when you turn 24 other than almost being able to rent a car
HachiEnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #21
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiEnam View Post
You can always work for the school dining commons or other services.
I second this ^^

Teachers in my program asked me to mentor students who had trouble grasping basic computer concepts. Took the job because it helped with my own studies + added extra cash in my pockets + didn't have to leave campus. It wasn't much, paid about 100/week, but that was food money!
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
TimmyC (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #22
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Personally I couldn't balance even a 10 hour part time job and my studies (and minimal social life so no I wasn't partying too hard, maybe sunk a few more hours into LoL than was advisable), wish I could, wish I tried harder but everyone is different.

I budgeted $800-$1000/month for all my expenses minus cell phone and a couple meals when visiting home, nearly half that went towards rent and I never felt 'poor', unless you currently spend on a different plane than I imagine the average freshman does your savings should survive the next year if your not working.

It will be easier to quit your job mid-semester if you're stretched too thin than try to get your job back mid-semester if your bored.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #23
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Next week I will be starting my first day of college as a freshman. I currently work at a grocery store and am thinking about quitting. Although I worked during Highschool, I feel that working during college is differnt and may affect my studies more. But... If I quit my job, I won't have money for luxuries. I won't be able to buy clothes, buy car parts, buy my girlfriend things, go out to eat or spend any money besides for gas. Yes, this is a first world problem but growing up with all these luxuries it will be difficult for me to abandon the lifestyle.

If you are wondering, I am still living with my parents free of charge and my parents are also paying for my college. My parents only give me money if it supports my education. Ever since I was old enough I worked at McDonalds so I could have money to hangout. I have made probably around $12,000 from working the past 3 years but because of poor spending and saving habits I only have $3500 saved up.

What should I do? If I stop working, how do I adapt to the change? Or any other way to make money quick doing leagal things... Lol

P.S. Ever since I turned 18 I have been buying lottery tickets atleast 5 times a week...
You should still work. Why?
- Save money for after college
- Have spending money for yourself and girlfriend
- Experience

If you need to, try to see if your boss can scale down your hours.
NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
TimmyC (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #24
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
-Work until your frail little fingers fall off
-Move out so you're not so dependent on your parents as an adult
-Save money and pay back parents. Tell them thank you every day, and appreciate how lucky you are.
Special_K (09-22-2015), Tcoat (09-29-2015), TimmyC (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #25
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You could always pursue a part time job where you dictate your own hours. An independent insurance agent is a great example. You'll start off slow but once you develop a customer base you'll start seeing the checks. Not to mention with this you're not stuck in an office at all times and you work on your own terms. It's an easy gig and I did it for a while as extra income on the side. It will be very easy to sell to people your age especially classmates and acquaintances on campus. Even now that I've stopped I have a built customer base that returns for renewal and all I have to do is keep my license up to date via continued education to be able to sell.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #26
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiEnam View Post
Wait what happens when you turn 24 other than almost being able to rent a car
You get to imagine how much fun you'll have terrorizing a rented car. Duh.

My early 20s were a waste of time partying and blah blah blah. 24~ you start to see who your friends really are the others get weeded out. You have a more mature sense of what's important and what will be more fulfilling to spend your time and money on.

My opinion anyways.

If I was finished with school and already on my career path by 24 it would have been great.
KevinK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:03 AM   #27
HachiEnam
UCSB!!!

Drives: 2017 GTI sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post
You get to imagine how much fun you'll have terrorizing a rented car. Duh.

My early 20s were a waste of time partying and blah blah blah. 24~ you start to see who your friends really are the others get weeded out. You have a more mature sense of what's important and what will be more fulfilling to spend your time and money on.

My opinion anyways.

If I was finished with school and already on my career path by 24 it would have been great.

Yeah I completely agree. Even though I'm only 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HachiEnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #28
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Here's something I did while in grad school: delivered pizzas. The money is usually pretty good with tips and all and drivers make more than cooks typically. Of course, you WILL put a lot of wear and tear on your car, but it is usually possible to work on the weekend only since most of the business is on Fridays and Saturdays, and on Sundays during pro football games. It is a good way to make some quick cash and is totally legal. Plus, sooner or later a very attractive young woman will appear at the door of her apartment wearing only a robe (or less) to pay for the pizza! It happened to me more than once.