follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #197
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This reminds me of that scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Not right. Get some justice, than post the video a few months from now. Unless part of the settlement is to not show the video online.
IntotheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #198
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
Since there aren't any updates I'm guessing he has taken legal action and possibly been advised to stop posting in the mean time.
Or was over-reacting/ had no video in the first place. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to fall square into the "pics or it didn't happen" camp on this one. The OP and his girlfriend both stirred up a shitstorm of anti-dealership outrage, without being specific in any way as to where this took place... then just left. No updates since. If legal action was involved, he would still be able to visit and say, "I've been advised to longer comment on this issue."
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #199
CiViCKiDD

Drives: '11 Accord EX coupe, '02 Maxima SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Totally buying a dash cam.
CiViCKiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #200
JohnS_Rosamond

Drives: Mazda MX5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't care about the video, but I would like to know what happened. Was their any compensation? Did they hold up their hands and just say something sarcastic?" What happened?
JohnS_Rosamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #201
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i reckon OP works for dashcam company.. perfect marketing
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #202
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surok View Post
i reckon OP works for dashcam company.. perfect marketing
Would be even better with quality footage to back it up...
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #203
LostTHEbeat
First 86

Drives: 2004 Scion xB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I apologize for not commenting sooner, but I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone regarding what is, or is not proper conduct. I'm not going to split hairs over the exact RPMs used, tires chirping, or the acoustics of the cabin. I came to the community simply for advice on what you would do in this situation, and I appreciate those who gave insightful comments. What it basically boils down to me is:

1. Was the car driven in ANY WAY different than a mechanic would have driven a customer's Prius?
2. Does management at the dealership agree, upon seeing the video, that the way the car was driven was excessive?
3. Did the mechanic shift the car after the shift indicator, which the customer has set?

The answer to all of these questions is "yes". The dealership agreed that the driving was too harsh, reprimanded their man, and offered us nothing. So, we were not served properly on our initial visit, bounced around between people who didn't want to serve us to deal with our complaint, and ultimately not served by the response to the complaint. All around ineptitude between Scion and dealer.

Here's exactly what happened since I stopped commenting:

After emailing Scion, they stated that they would have me in touch with the dealership "Customer Relations Manager," whose name I was given. I never heard from this person. Instead, I was called by a Service Manager, who I explained the issue and provided the videos. He advised he'd have to go over them with another Service Manager. Hmm, I thought I was talking to the Service Manager? I suppose this was someone a rung above him on the Inept Service Department Corporate Ladder. After some time, and a few emails of apology, I was informed that they agreed with my assessment of driving the car too rough, and would be reprimanding the offending service advisor(s). Besides that, no compensation for their customer.

So, I will have to settle for my compensation being this discussion thread. Whether or not you agree with what happened in our situation, we are all now a little more aware and cautious when bringing our cars in for service.

Onto the videos: Prior to service (tire chirping):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2ZW3Kw3XQ"]SCION FR-S Bad Dealership Service Experience - Burnout Revenge! - YouTube[/ame]

Test drive after service (1 video of many - highest revving in first 30 seconds and @ 3:20):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwGwx6iB8_0"]SCION FR-S - Bad Dealership Service Experience - Mechanic Hooning - YouTube[/ame]

(NSFW) Since all of you will not be able to sleep tonight, knowing that it is very likely that when you take your FR-S in for service, a mechanic will likely try to take your car over some sweet jumps, or rocket to the moon, I now provide you with a little comic relief, a snippet of video from our experience that I have kept under wraps until now. And a piece of advice for any other female FR-S owners - don't wear shorts when you walk into the service department. To set this up, what they are talking about is disabling the DRL (Daytime Running Lights), a request we had to see if there was any way to do this without pulling the fuse:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8NMm54mJ0"]SCION FR-S Bad Dealership Service Experience - BONUS FOOTAGE - YouTube[/ame]

All joking aside, this particular clip is specifically why we don't feel comfortable doing any more business at this dealer.

Last edited by LostTHEbeat; 12-09-2012 at 03:19 AM.
LostTHEbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #204
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTHEbeat View Post

All joking aside, this particular clip is specifically why we don't feel comfortable doing any more business at this dealer.

wow that sucks man, i would get people fired over that... I've been a mechanic before never did i once treat anyone's car like that...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
LostTHEbeat (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #205
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
That's so disrespectful. I hope you'll get a reasonable compensation.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #206
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTHEbeat View Post
I apologize for not commenting sooner, but I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone regarding what is, or is not proper conduct. I'm not going to split hairs over the exact RPMs used, tires chirping, or the acoustics of the cabin. I came to the community simply for advice on what you would do in this situation, and I appreciate those who gave insightful comments. What it basically boils down to me is:

1. Was the car driven in ANY WAY different than a mechanic would have driven a customer's Prius?
2. Does management at the dealership agree, upon seeing the video, that the way the car was driven was excessive?
3. Did the mechanic shift the car after the shift indicator, which the customer has set?

The answer to all of these questions is "yes". The dealership agreed that the driving was too harsh, reprimanded their man, and offered us nothing. So, we were not served properly on our initial visit, bounced around between people who didn't want to serve us to deal with our complaint, and ultimately not served by the response to the complaint. All around ineptitude between Scion and dealer.

Here's exactly what happened since I stopped commenting:

After emailing Scion, they stated that they would have me in touch with the dealership "Customer Relations Manager," whose name I was given. I never heard from this person. Instead, I was called by a Service Manager, who I explained the issue and provided the videos. He advised he'd have to go over them with another Service Manager. Hmm, I thought I was talking to the Service Manager? I suppose this was someone a rung above him on the Inept Service Department Corporate Ladder. After some time, and a few emails of apology, I was informed that they agreed with my assessment of driving the car too rough, and would be reprimanding the offending service advisor(s). Besides that, no compensation for their customer.

So, I will have to settle for my compensation being this discussion thread. Whether or not you agree with what happened in our situation, we are all now a little more aware and cautious when bringing our cars in for service.

Onto the videos: Prior to service (tire chirping):

Test drive after service (1 video of many - highest revving in first 30 seconds and @ 3:20):

Since all of you will not be able to sleep tonight, knowing that it is very likely that when you take your FR-S in for service, a mechanic will likely try to take your car over some sweet jumps, or rocket to the moon, I now provide you with a little comic relief, a snippet of video from our experience that I have kept under wraps until now. And a piece of advice for any other female FR-S owners - don't wear shorts when you walk into the service department. To set this up, what they are talking about is disabling the DRL (Daytime Running Lights), a request we had to see if there was any way to do this without pulling the fuse:

that's some incredible sh**!..cant believe these as*holes can be this insensitive with someone's property,and not seem to care at all! wow!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #207
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
I dont see anything wrong with the videos you posted. I mean for god sakes hate to say it you are over reacting. Its a car, and not even some crazy expensive car either.

As far as the conversation recorded? These guys are service workers, I mean what do you expect guys talk about behind closed doors? Its almost offensive you posted this up without their permission actually.

This is a primary reason why recording devices are bad in the wrong hands.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #208
Jlin

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I dont see anything wrong with the videos you posted. I mean for god sakes hate to say it you are over reacting. Its a car, and not even some crazy expensive car either.

As far as the conversation recorded? These guys are service workers, I mean what do you expect guys talk about behind closed doors? Its almost offensive you posted this up without their permission actually.

That's not the point, once you sign off the papers and own the car, it becomes your private property. This means you get exclusive rights to do what ever you want not some punk ass that you're paying to perform service on the vehicle.

Now, with that said, I can understand under some circumstances, they may be required to floor the car but constantly pushing the pedal to the metal from light to light is just ridiculous.
Jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jlin For This Useful Post:
dun3 (01-09-2013), HotLeopardMama (12-11-2012), R2RO (12-10-2012), Sigh-on-Rice (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #209
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@LostTHEbeat: thanks for posting the videos. It was clear they were accelerating the car way harder than was necessary at the 3:20 mark isn't the second video. Just out of curiosity, though, where do you have your shift indicator set at? Earlier instances it didn't sound like they were accelerating hard, though they were revving well past the point you'd designated as a shift point.

Also, judging by the little I could see around the service tag, you were over at Desert Toyota; is that correct?

Anyway, thanks again for providing video and resolution to your story. I will not be guilty of having service work done there from now on, and will steer others away from there as well.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #210
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post

i think @LostTHEbeat 's car was still in the break in period right? (correct me if wrong)

the car shouldn't be treated that way during the break in period

Also it shouldn't matter if the car was new or used / expensive or not

its not their property regardless. And if know that your recklessness today could cause damage in the future. Then you are at fault if anything goes wrong.

An abused engine that isnt taken through its break in mileage properly could have problems arise at 80,000 miles instead of 200,000 miles like they should.

Most modern day cars should last to 150,000 miles with minimal maintenance

My last car i drove the shit out of it, but i did so properly. Tracked it, burnouts, drag strip monthly. had the car 2 years, put 70,000 miles on it (sold at 150k miles)

not 1 problem, clutch still grabbed like a champ, only changed the brakes once when i bought the car, no oil leaks...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote