follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #211
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
Although there are definite weight savings to be had with the utilization of a unibody pickup, market trends show the layout is losing favor with the public as the Honda Ridgeline sales continue to plummet – making a Toyota/Sion unibody pickup a risky venture that may or may not find itself positioned perfectly depending where fuel costs go in the coming years.

nuff said...

next time read the damn article first...
I did read. WRONG!

"Before you start saving your pennies for a Prius-powered pickup, though, do keep in mind nothing is confirmed at this point, although things do seem to heading more towards production than ever before. There is one other major caveat as well – as of now it is believed the truck would at least initially find its motivation fro a traditional gas-only engine, with a hybrid variant only maybe coming later."
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #212
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
"you are wrong"

"no you are wrong"

For what it's worth, I think something like a Suzuki Samaurai (or Toyota RSC concept) would be a good fit for the scion brand. A pickup... depends on what you call a pickup.... a microtruck would be cool... anything else.. might not really fit into what scion is... but I'm sure many xBs were turned into delivery vans and work horses so... who knows...
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #213
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1660 View Post
"although things do seem to heading more towards production than ever before.
...which means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...

this scion pickup idea has been around for a while. its been on and off the proverbial table for a long time. if it was such a good idea then why hasnt it been done already??? why hasnt it even been confirmed??? its not even a rumor or concept, it's literally an idea being batted around the boardroom...

the reason as the article alludes to is simple: the market is not aching for it. if there was substantial money to be made, wouldnt they do it? wouldnt ANYONE do it? ask yourself this question...

"Scion is about innovation and doing things differently. That’s why if we were ever to do something crazy, it would likely be more like a ‘Surprise Utility Vehicle’ rather than a basic pickup truck." -Jack Hollis

Last edited by madfast; 08-02-2011 at 02:21 PM.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #214
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
For what it's worth, I think something like a Suzuki Samaurai (or Toyota RSC concept) would be a good fit for the scion brand. A pickup... depends on what you call a pickup.... a microtruck would be cool... anything else.. might not really fit into what scion is... but I'm sure many xBs were turned into delivery vans and work horses so... who knows...
I could see a mini jeep but there were a few xB's that tried that route!

To chime in about trucks, the one thing that sucks about the current composite Tacoma bed is that the tailgate sucks! I bought a truck to haul my bike to the track and my snowboard gear in the winter. The tailgate bowed after a month since the rear wheel would rest on it and Toyota couldn't warrantee it b/c it exceed the maxium weight! Fuggers
Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #215
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
and i stand by my assertion that Scion would be better off making a stylish, cheap compact SUV... cheaper than a RAV4, smaller than a RAV4, and waaaaay more stylish

ooh look, mazda knows what's up...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/02/m...-of-frankfurt/
Something like the Juke? I have noticed that the Ravs have slowly gotten a bit bulkier and more expensive. They used to only offer 4 cyl too. Toyota has room for it but I wonder if the sales make it worth their while.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #216
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
Something like the Juke? I have noticed that the Ravs have slowly gotten a bit bulkier and more expensive. They used to only offer 4 cyl too. Toyota has room for it but I wonder if the sales make it worth their while.
yes exactly. the older RAV4's and CR-V's were great utility in a very compact size. the newer versions keep getting bigger and bigger. so just as the fit replaces the civic in size, and the yaris replaces the corolla in size.... i see an emerging market in the "subcompact" or "true compact" suv market. mini countryman, outlander sport, kia sportage, mazda CX-5, the new ford kuga/escape, etc... scion would be a great fit in this cheap, small suv category.

you could say that all the scions kinda already fill this role, BUT the elevated driving position and available AWD are selling points to SUV buyers, and the scion hatches currently do NOT offer either. and toyota doesnt as well in that size and price category.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #217
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
...which means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...

this scion pickup idea has been around for a while. its been on and off the proverbial table for a long time. if it was such a good idea then why hasnt it been done already??? why hasnt it even been confirmed??? its not even a rumor or concept, it's literally an idea being batted around the boardroom...

the reason as the article alludes to is simple: the market is not aching for it. if there was substantial money to be made, wouldnt they do it? wouldnt ANYONE do it? ask yourself this question...

"Scion is about innovation and doing things differently. That’s why if we were ever to do something crazy, it would likely be more like a ‘Surprise Utility Vehicle’ rather than a basic pickup truck." -Jack Hollis
I'm messing with you, but you're wrong!

Funny, I don't see any articles where Scion is considering a SUV.
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote