follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #71
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
If you're gonna highlight a video that really inspires, highlight this guy's videos:

He's a forum member here and shows how much you can really do in a bone stock BRZ, with some lap times people can use as a benchmark.

Oh I get it now, you just want to see a BRZ track video get highlighted....Jealous much!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #72
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
COTA = circuit of the America's. a new f1 track in Texas. Where the event in question took place. Back in January they tried to cancel all HPDE events that were already paid for and under contract. Rumor was they were canceling so they could gouge more money from 'richer' groups that wanted to use the track. The governor had to make some phone calls and intervened since public money was used to build the track

Yea I just realized you guys gave it an acronym after I posted...lol I saw the F1 run on it. I want to hit up that track sometime too. It's super clean looking.

PS...Greedy SOB's. Fing Rich People..
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #73
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Oh I get it now, you just want to see a BRZ track video get highlighted....Jealous much!
Lol. I love my FRS brothers equally as much. I'm just a fan of entertaining and educational videos that aren't veiled with false pretenses. The actual video and the OP of this thread are innocent. If I see BS, I call it. There was a recent thread where robispec was trying to say that their car (running 1:48 at laguna) was 'hunting/keeping up/chasing/whatever' with a C6 ZR1 (can run 1:33 iirc) I called BS. I don't think people should think that by buying their products, they can hang with a ZR1. Always take any comments from a sponsored car with a grain of salt. These guys are valuable resources, but are still a business.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #74
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I am just going to come out and give some real credit @pcasso87.

Your driving lines, smooth inputs and setup of the car are fantastic!

I'm not sure why others are making such a big deal out of the semantics of the titles but "oh well".

I am looking at setting mine up very similar to yours for Barber Motorsports Park this summer. Its not nearly as high-speed as COTA and the few FR-S's that have been run there are doing very well against the more established, Mazdas and S2Ks.

Which wing is that on your car? The elevation changes at Barber and off-camber corners make me want to get one.

Scott
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #75
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Lol. I love my FRS brothers equally as much. I'm just a fan of entertaining and educational videos that aren't veiled with false pretenses. The actual video and the OP of this thread are innocent. If I see BS, I call it. There was a recent thread where robispec was trying to say that their car (running 1:48 at laguna) was 'hunting/keeping up/chasing/whatever' with a C6 ZR1 (can run 1:33 iirc) I called BS. I don't think people should think that by buying their products, they can hang with a ZR1. Always take any comments from a sponsored car with a grain of salt. These guys are valuable resources, but are still a business.

As mentioned before, I look at the Facts....keeping up/chasing/whatever with THAT ZR1 with THAT driver in it are the facts. Drivers are not all created equal which is also a fact. Is it a fact that a ZR1 laps faster than Robispec? Yes, that's a fact, but it does not detract away the fact that they hung with THAT ZR1 with THAT driver in it.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #76
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
As mentioned before, I look at the Facts....keeping up/chasing/whatever with THAT ZR1 with THAT driver in it are the facts. Drivers are not all created equal which is also a fact. Is it a fact that a ZR1 laps faster than Robispec? Yes, that's a fact, but it does not detract away the fact that they hung with THAT ZR1 with THAT driver in it.
Not disagreeing with you. But is it even worth mentioning when the ZR1 driver is THAT slow?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #77
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Sorry to be so blunt, but you are living a fantasy land. I have a video too of chasing & passing an ACR Viper. I'm not delusional to think that my POS s2k will hold a candle to the ACR when driven properly.
Your know it all attitude and sense of superiority will not get us anywhere since you only want to hear what you think is right, thank god you dont own a super car or it would be multiplied by 100. Im sorry to disappoint you but a well setup 20-30k car can easily surpass a more expensive factory track machine. A long time ago i proved my EVO X to be a worthy contender to more expensive Porsches and Ferraris at my local track. There was always excuses, and arguments, the i was only pushing it 20% when his lap times at the track proved otherwise, or the car was not set up correctly, its misfiring, etc. The car cost me 30k plus i dropped in another 30k and i was in a 60k 4 door saloon passing your average 100k-200k supercar's at the track. I still stand with my argument that 350 HP in a 2400 pound car is a lot, it would have an amazing power to weight ratio. Right now my FR-S has the balance, grip, and braking, it only needs the power to be a good contender to a GT-3. At harris hill road GT-3's are lapping 1:24-1:25's with good drivers and 1:26-1:29 with your average joe drivers. H2R does not have many long straights and is very technical, its a track about momentum and my car laps a 1:27.1 with R comps.

Look man just to be clear i did not say i raced and won against the GT-3. I chased him down ,was he pushing it? I dont know all i know is i had 4 encounters with GT-3's and this guy was the slowest since the other ones would disappear after a couple of laps but i could report the FR-S could stay with them in the braking and slow corners for a moment after they had just passed me, then they would gain ground in the high speed corners and straights. Next time if it bothers you so much, dont open a thread that says FR-S Chasing a GT-3 because that is all that is happening, i chased him down even in my video description i say i dont think the car was pushing it all the way but it was fun chasing him down.

BTW, several other viper, porsche, supra drivers @ COTA all went to check out my car after the sessions since they had not seen a track prepped FR-S and all of them mentioned they were amazed at how well it could take corners, they were only concerned by the lack of power as we came onto a straightaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
I am just going to come out and give some real credit @pcasso87.

Your driving lines, smooth inputs and setup of the car are fantastic!

I'm not sure why others are making such a big deal out of the semantics of the titles but "oh well".

I am looking at setting mine up very similar to yours for Barber Motorsports Park this summer. Its not nearly as high-speed as COTA and the few FR-S's that have been run there are doing very well against the more established, Mazdas and S2Ks.

Which wing is that on your car? The elevation changes at Barber and off-camber corners make me want to get one.

Scott

Thanks man, it was my first time at COTA and man is it a technical as well as fast track. The wing on the car is a Voltex Type 2, evaisve motorsports carries it, just be careful not adding too much downforce or you will end up understeering.

Last edited by track_warrior; 04-02-2013 at 12:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to track_warrior For This Useful Post:
heeltoe86 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #78
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
350 HP in a 2400 pound car
How are you making 150hp over stock with no forced induction? At those levels, your power to weight is not much different than the GT3, which means they shouldn't be demolishing you on the straightaways.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #79
naikaidriver

Quote:
Thanks man, it was my first time at COTA and man is it a technical as well as fast track. The wing on the car is a Voltex Type 2, evaisve motorsports carries it, just be careful not adding too much downforce or you will end up understeering.
Thanks for the tip! I will be adding a front splitter as well to deal with the balance issue.

One thing I noticed in your pictures... It seems you have a single-exit track pipe on your car. Did you install a new splitter where the factory muffler was? I have been hearing a lot of complaints from people after they have removed the factory muffler. Since Toyota uses the muffler to direct airflow to the factory splitter, when the muffler is removed it creates an air pocket back there. You may not notice it because of your wing but I'm willing to bet that the turbulence is having a pretty detrimental effect on your aerodynamics over 100mph.

Scott
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #80
heeltoe86

Drives: 2012 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
How are you making 150hp over stock with no forced induction? At those levels, your power to weight is not much different than the GT3, which means they shouldn't be demolishing you on the straightaways.
I think you misread. He wants 350hp in his FR-S, with which he can have the same performance for less than a GT3. I don't think he's there with bolt-ons.
2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner (sold)
1996 Honda Civic (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to heeltoe86 For This Useful Post:
orthojoe (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #81
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Read my post again

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeltoe86 View Post
I think you misread. He wants 350hp in his FR-S, with which he can have the same performance for less than a GT3. I don't think he's there with bolt-ons.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Thanks for the tip! I will be adding a front splitter as well to deal with the balance issue.

One thing I noticed in your pictures... It seems you have a single-exit track pipe on your car. Did you install a new splitter where the factory muffler was? I have been hearing a lot of complaints from people after they have removed the factory muffler. Since Toyota uses the muffler to direct airflow to the factory splitter, when the muffler is removed it creates an air pocket back there. You may not notice it because of your wing but I'm willing to bet that the turbulence is having a pretty detrimental effect on your aerodynamics over 100mph.

Scott
I have a dual invidia exhaust, i need to order a front splitter but first its going to be Oil Cooler, Gauges, Front and Rear splitter, supercharger, and finally KW Clubsports instead of my V3'S. Its really been trial and error seting up this car since there is limited data available so far.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #82
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeltoe86 View Post
Ah now that makes sense. At 350HP and supporting mods, I would agree that the car could give a GT3 a run for it's money. My only concern would be the engine holding up to the stress/heat. Heat issues will definitely be a concern with where pcasso lives. I'm not a fan of forced induction anymore for track use. Too many variables for potential failure and the heat generated is very difficult to keep under control. I gave up on my Evo for a BRZ due to the heat issues.
heeltoe86 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #83
naikaidriver

Quote:
I have a dual invidia exhaust, i need to order a front splitter but first its going to be Oil Cooler, Gauges, Front and Rear splitter, supercharger, and finally KW Clubsports instead of my V3'S. Its really been trial and error seting up this car since there is limited data available so far.
OK, it was hard to see from the shadows.

I know that Borla has made an aluminum rear splitter that was designed for their exhaust but the principal is the same since its similar to your setup. You may end up having to have something made.

If you're willing to sell your V3s, let me know! I've been waffling between them and the Tein Flex's.

Thanks for sharing the info, pics and the video! It only helps out the 86 community in the end.

Scott
Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #84
naikaidriver

Quote:
Ah now that makes sense. At 350HP and supporting mods, I would agree that the car could give a GT3 a run for it's money. My only concern would be the engine holding up to the stress/heat. Heat issues will definitely be a concern with where pcasso lives. I'm not a fan of forced induction anymore for track use. Too many variables for potential failure and the heat generated is very difficult to keep under control. I gave up on my Evo for a BRZ due to the heat issues.
The Vortech kit is only good for 250rwhp which would make all the difference for the 86 on a track. At only 7-8psi, its a good compromise for longevity, heat and power and would be my choice for a track car.

Scott

Closed Thread