follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #225
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,001 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
How is the Crawford illegal? I have it installed in stock class, I couldn't find anything illegal about it. The operation of it is the same as the stock PVC system, one of the only one that does.

I questioned the mounting and tieing together the braces, I only used one bolt to attach it. I added some double sided cushioning to keep it from rattling.
I could have swore I saw it called out in SM. Now I can't find it. Lemmie ask a buddy real quick and I'll post back.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]

Last edited by whataboutbob; 02-25-2013 at 11:20 PM.
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #226
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
The catch can rule is actually in the stock rule set. The rule is it can't alter the stock PCV operation, like eliminating the valve or venting to atmosphere. The Crawford keeps all of the stock connections they just go through the catch can.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #227
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Garage
I am waiting to hear back, but I was advised that some people who do the national tour are known to be *evil* and that my AOS might give them an excuse to get me DQ'd or fined when I run in the national tour stop in SD. I'll post back once I get some clarification.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #228
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Garage
Ok, please don't take this as the word from SCCA!

It appears that the Crawford AOS *may* be illegal for the Stock Class as it combines 2 systems into 1. There are 2 seperate hoses that normally connect to 2 different places on the intake. The Crawford AOS takes input from each of those 2 hoses and puts out 2 outputs. This is where the combination is believed to happen.

According to my buddy, this is not permitted. As STX inherits the stock class rules, if it is not permitted in stock, you can't do it in STX.

I'm thinking about writing a letter to the stock Advisory Council to see if they will make an explicit ruling on this. I'd appreciate any inputs anyone may have.

We should probably start a new thread for the discussion to help us organize our thoughts.

Anyone who is interested in helping, please PM me directly. I probably won't put any effort into this until next week.
@simpleisbest, I was directed to a thread on one of the local SCCA forums where you were asking about this unit. If you are still interested please contact me via PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #229
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
@simpleisbest, I was directed to a thread on one of the local SCCA forums where you were asking about this unit. If you are still interested please contact me via PM.
Hey Bob! Yeah, I was interested in the Crawford AOS unit, but as I am not totally convinced that I need it, I put it on the backburner with regards to priority.

I was in email communication with Doug Gill (SCCA Solo Technical Manager). I sent him Crawford's install manual for reference and he said there shouldn't be any thing that would warrant a protest. (still not official ruling, though!! YMMV)

You could of course request an official ruling to put your mind at ease.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #230
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Yeah I was going to say some communication with Doug is probably the best way to figure out legality.

Worst case you would just not connect the front block to intake breather and cap off the inlet on the AOS. Then the system works like stock except with a drain back into the block.

I have been planning on installing the Radium can instead but uninstalling the Crawford with removing the AC is a pain so I have been lazy.

Last edited by xwd; 02-26-2013 at 04:26 AM.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
Scooby South (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #231
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
How is that done on the tune? This business of shutting power off completely is ridiculous.

I'm abt ready to get it tuned & need this on mine. We were on a course yesterday where I had to go to 3rd 3x, and once 4x (for really short periods)--which between milquetoast power & time to up/downshift--lost the 3 Twins that were out there a good amt of time.
He raises the limiter, and has a safe way of holdiing the speed on the limiter instead of loosing mph.

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmons For This Useful Post:
Scooby South (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #232
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
He raises the limiter, and has a safe way of holdiing the speed on the limiter instead of loosing mph.

Simmons
Hopefully they'll configure mine that way. Thx
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #233
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Hopefully they'll configure mine that way. Thx
It makes a big difference, I still was hitting the limiter at a couple sites but at least I didn't loose any mph.

and he changed the launch control to work better. I can't wait for the Pro.

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #234
enjoyminutemaid

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited WRB Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
It makes a big difference, I still was hitting the limiter at a couple sites but at least I didn't loose any mph.

and he changed the launch control to work better. I can't wait for the Pro.

Simmons
The "Pro?"

EDIT: NVM, I'm taking it you mean the ProSolo.

Last edited by enjoyminutemaid; 02-26-2013 at 02:18 PM.
enjoyminutemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #235
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Alright, next question. Are the whiteline transmission support and perrin rear shifter bushing good to run?
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #236
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What about roll cages? I am building for stx but still want to do some track days? GCR very much confused me.
EN2_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #237
enjoyminutemaid

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited WRB Manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EN2_Squirrel View Post
What about roll cages? I am building for stx but still want to do some track days? GCR very much confused me.
They're allowed. Open the SCCA 2013 Rule book PDF and search for "roll bars," you should find it under 13.2.I.
enjoyminutemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #238
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post
Hello everyone, new to the FR-S/BRZ world but definitely not new to autocross. I will be co-driving a 2013 BRZ in STX this season sponsored & put togther by well known Bay Area BMW/Mini tuning shop Edge Motorworks. I thought I would introduce myself here on this thread rather than starting a new one, this looks to be an excellent source for STX set-up questions, & should be a great place for everyone to share their results & trials/errors throughout the year.

I'm a 20+ year autocrosser, a lot of that time behind the wheel of numerous Miatas, but after 2 events in an RTR-prepped FR-S I am VERY impressed with these cars! Last weekend I had times fast enough to win our local STX class (National Championship BMW is in my region!) in a stock FR-S on Dunlop ZIIs Needless to say these cars have great potential in STX & it should be a great season!

Our plan is to build & develop the car primarily for National Level STX events, but we will also be conducting some track testing as well to possibly run NASA Time Trials with the car. I feel the BRZ could be one of those rare cars that could be competitive in both arenas with a similar set-up

I'm very excited at the opurtunity to drive the BRZ this year, hopefully I can help the FRS/BRZ community by sharing about our experiences as we go along. First up on the schedule for us is some baseline laps around either Sears Point Raceway or Thunderhill while the car is completely stock. Then we will do most of the STX build in one day at the Edge Motorworks facilities at the beginning of March. Then, the first autocross for the car is scheduled for March 10th, followed by a track day at Sears Point the following weekend, then another autocross so we can test for the upcoming Southern CA National events.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to helping where I can & meeting some of you this year!
Might be a bit OT... but I am looking to run STX and use the car for time trials as well. What are you going to do about seats, cage, harness, etc? Or are you going to TT the car with the OEM equipment?
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote